Help! I hate the treadmill!

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 15 to 20 pounds but I hate the treadmill!! I do not have a gym membership and do all of my workouts at home. I love to do strength training workouts but have heard that this will not help me lose the weight. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cardio workouts that can be done at home? Or had any experience with strength training and how it affects weight loss?

My treadmill broke right after I started and a gym is not an option.
    There are lots of great workouts on you tube. You might also find workout dvd's at your library or Netflix if you don't want to buy something.
    There are apps with exercises.
    You can turn on music and walk or dance around your house. You can climb stairs in your house.
    You can walk outside.
  • Seahawks_Lover
    Seahawks_Lover Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty simple, if you hate the treadmill, don't do it. Find something you like to do. Me, I hate exercise in general, cardio, weight training, etc. The key for weight loss is your diet. I used to eat over 2500 calories a day in complete garbage, went out to eat almost every night and had 2 beers every other night. Made the adjustment in January to eat healthier, not go out to eat, make meals at home and seriously reduce drinking. I'm down almost 30lbs since doing this and rarely do I exercise. I've been doing what I can to get some exercise, as in I get off the bus two stops before my house and walk up the hill, take the stairs at my apartment complex, etc. Not much, but my reduction in calories is what is contributing to my weight loss. Another positive, I sure have saved a bunch of money by eating at home. :-)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I go on On Demand and find cardio workouts. I do mostly the walking workouts, where you do various types of walking in place along with arm motions. They go pretty fast and are quite a workout.

I didn't know there was such a thing. Where do you find it on the menu?

• alitreka15
    alitreka15 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill and I know it is not as effective as going out for a power walk.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Cardio is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does not induce weight loss.

This is wrong. Cardio does nothing for weight loss, it just allows you to eat more and lose the same as you could with diet alone.

Strength training will help ensure that a larger % of your weight loss comes from fat, instead of fat and lean muscle.

Complete rubbish to say it does nothing. Cardio does burn calories and that helps you lose more, all things being equal. The actual effect it has depends upon duration and intensity.

The weight loss depends on calorific deficit from whatever source.

Actually 100% true... if you burn 400 cals on the treadmill and eat 1800 calories would be the same as eating 1400 and not stepping one foot on the treadmill. It is the deficit that matters. In this example, like I stated earlier, cardio allows you to eat more (400 cals in this case) and lose the same amount of weight you could by diet alone (1400 cal diet above) as 1800-400 = 1400-0.
    • err no you are wrong in saying cardio does nothing for weight loss, because you automatically adjusting it so that you eat every one of those exercise calories back. If you choose not to eat those calories back then the deficit increases proportionately.
    • Even if someone chooses to eat back exercise calories, its often those extra burn back calories that make a diet sustainable or more flexible. Many people on here benefit directly from being able to eat more and are thus able to stay consistent more easily.
    • In terms of direct calorie burns, then cardio provides the greatest burns, but then we know thats not the be all and end all.
    • You are also ignoring the other beneficial effects of exercise including a healthier heart and increased metabolism. Even bodybuilder.com sees the benefit in cardio.
    • http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark85.htm

So you are speaking rubbish when you say it does nothing. Its not a case of one being better than the other, they are complementray and anyone losing weight would benefit from doing both.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I do a combo of weightlifting 3x a week, 30min of biking 3 times a week and yoga 2x a week to help with my flexibility (keeps me from getting injured)

Find what you like to do because that is going to be sustainable! I will say that lifting has helped me lose quite a few inches and I've only started back up a month and a half ago. The cardio is something I just added in to help aid muscle recovery. Lifting most certainly helps you lose!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill. But I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with it! I'm here all week folks!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 15 to 20 pounds but I hate the treadmill!! I do not have a gym membership and do all of my workouts at home. I love to do strength training workouts but have heard that this will not help me lose the weight. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cardio workouts that can be done at home? Or had any experience with strength training and how it affects weight loss?
    Do whatever cardio that you enjoy. When at home I like Zumba or you tube videos that I can dance too. I also find other stuff that I enjoy on youtube or fitness blender. Or don't do cardio at all since it is not necessary for weight loss.

Strength training is fantastic for weight loss. Find a program you love.

Do not do it if you don't enjoy it.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've thought about getting a mini-trampoline/rebounder. Jumping sounds like more fun than walking in place. Also, I use a fitbit and try to get in 10,000 steps throughout the day. I take laps in my house, which is less annoying to me than walking on the treadmill.

I have heard that Leslie Sansone has walking videos that many people enjoy. And there are a lot of YouTube videos you could try.

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

I've thought about getting a mini-trampoline/rebounder. Jumping sounds like more fun than walking in place. Also, I use a fitbit and try to get in 10,000 steps throughout the day. I take laps in my house, which is less annoying to me than walking on the treadmill.

I have heard that Leslie Sansone has walking videos that many people enjoy. And there are a lot of YouTube videos you could try.

Trampolining has it's up and downs. I'm here all week folks!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with my treadmill. I've got 3 kids at home and until a couple weeks ago we still had snow. Im doing 2 5k's next month and I knew that walking on the weekends wasn't going to cut it. I did the C25K app and actually started to enjoy pushing myself to do better. I finished it last week and just started the ZombieRun app and I already addicted!! While I'd much rather do it outside I have to work with what I've got. I also do my strength training after I finish running.
    But like everyone else said, if you hate it, find something else that you enjoy. Zumba, dancing, kickboxing, yoga, Pilates.... Try different things until you find something that you feel like you can stick with.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I go on On Demand and find cardio workouts. I do mostly the walking workouts, where you do various types of walking in place along with arm motions. They go pretty fast and are quite a workout.

I didn't know there was such a thing. Where do you find it on the menu?

I think there is a "Fitness and Exercise" heading in there somewhere.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does not induce weight loss.

Everything you say is wrong!!
  • Serah87
    Options
    While it's hard to pinpoint just how long this effect (of aerobic exercise) lasts (it varies depending on body composition and level of training), "it’s safe to say metabolic rate can be elevated with aerobic exercise for at least 24 hours," says Wharton.

If you want to prolong this calorie-burning effect, Wharton advises exercising for longer periods.

"Studies have shown that with increases in exercise time, the elevation in resting metabolic rate is prolonged," he says.

2. Do Strength Training to Build MuscleWhen you exercise, you use muscle.

PLEASE stop talking!!!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't LOVE the treadmill either. But, yesterday, it was my ONLY option & I didn't feel like thinking of what else I could possibly do. I put in my headphones, 2-10 minutes pretty much sucked *kitten*, 11-17 min, I was feeling strong, 17-22 min, I did intervals, felt pretty damn fierce, soon after it was over, BOOM! 30 minutes done! I was sweaty & felt pretty damn awesome. I walked away from that treadmill feeling like I won the battle. You just do what you have to do if you want it bad enough. Yeah, find something you enjoy and/or something fun. But that isn't always the case. Some days you are going to have to work hard, it won't always come easy. Some days you just don't want to do *kitten*, but, you get up off your *kitten* & do it anyway. Sorry, if that wasn't helpful. Try YouTube for workout stuff, like, http://www.bodyrock.tv/.
  • Serah87
    Options
    OP, I hate the dreadmill also, I do my walking outside and I also weight lift!! ;)
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    OP Is it the running you don't like or the monotonous, stationary movement?
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I truly detest the treadmill too. I feel like a rat in a wheel-thing.
    I run outside and I enjoy it.

Now, I am particularly lazy and very much "indoor-sy" so I am shocked that I like running outside but I do.

You can do all kinds of other things outside of running or the gym in order to get your cardio: plyometrics, kettlebell workouts, mini- trampoline/rebounder, videos like Jilliam Michael's or Beach Body, hoola-hoop, balance board, rowing machine (but that's more expensive equipment), kickboxing, jump rope

Find something that you truly enjoy.
  • AmandaLJessop
    Options
    You can certainly do a couple of things:

1) Try different forms of body weight cardio movements. (which is much better than running on a treadmill anyways because with body weight cardio you are working the type of muscles that will help increase your metabolism and get stronger). Mountain Climbers, High Knees, skiers, burpees, etc. Here is a video example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfmU7Au0cLg

2) Weight lifting in a circuit or interval training fashion
    If you program your resistance or weight lifting sessions to have minimal rests in between (called circuit training) this will work your cardiovascular in similar ways running would. Interval resistance training is also an option. It is where you perform resistance exercise or cardio exercises for a specific amount of timed intervals, with rest in between.
    Here is an example of a body weight cardio interval training workout: http://www.channelyourinnerathlete.com/workouts/body-weight-tabata-cardio-workout/

• laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    weight loss = calories in < calories out
    It doesn't matter what you eat, what kind of workout you do, if you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.

That being said, cardio is really helpful. It gets your heart rate up, it makes you feel good, and it burns calories pretty quickly. The treadmill is horrible on your body (according to my doctor and my body), so if you don't like it just go outside and walk/run now that the weather is getting better. I get on a treadmill as a last resort.

As far as strength training, it makes you stronger so your body can do more. It doesn't burn calories as quickly as cardio, but it makes you fitter and that's the ultimate goal, isn't it?

If you need other cardio workouts to do in your home, try online exercise programs or if you have Comcast (maybe other cable providers; I just don't have it on DISH) they have fitness programs on demand.