Help! I hate the treadmill!

Options
I need to lose 15 to 20 pounds but I hate the treadmill!! I do not have a gym membership and do all of my workouts at home. I love to do strength training workouts but have heard that this will not help me lose the weight. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cardio workouts that can be done at home? Or had any experience with strength training and how it affects weight loss?

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does not induce weight loss.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    So don't go on the treadmill. Exercise isn't required at all to lose weight. Strength training is great, but bear in mind that it will make you fluctuate more as your muscles retain water to recover. It's not stopping you losing weight at all, I'm just saying don't freak out if the scale doesn't go down everyday! Just do whatever exercises you enjoy.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    strength training - weight lifting WILL help you lose weight. and don't worry about "bulking up" as a woman...that is a myth. weight lifting helps you burn calories far past the actual work-out. get into a good routine and add walking or other cardio. put a t.v. in front of your treadmill or use music. you only have to do about 30 min per day to get your heart rate up. before i got pg, i lost all my weight with weight-lifting + cardio (usually elliptical)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 15 to 20 pounds but I hate the treadmill!! I do not have a gym membership and do all of my workouts at home. I love to do strength training workouts but have heard that this will not help me lose the weight. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cardio workouts that can be done at home? Or had any experience with strength training and how it affects weight loss?

If you hate it don't do it

Strength training is excellent when eating at a calorie defecit to preserve LBM

You don't need cardio for anything other than cardio-vascular fitness and gaining extra calories to eat

You could achueve similar taking a brisk walk
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Nothing will help you lose weight unless your diet is on point, but whoever told you the strength training thing is wrong. I lost 30# strictly lifting weights.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Cardio is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does not induce weight loss.

what rot!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

This is wrong. Cardio does nothing for weight loss, it just allows you to eat more and lose the same as you could with diet alone.

Strength training will help ensure that a larger % of your weight loss comes from fat, instead of fat and lean muscle.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    Lifting does not induce weight loss.

wrong

• ew_david
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does help you retain lean body mass as you lose fat.

Fixed that mess for you.

• DemoraFairy
    Options

How can someone who's been on these forums for long enough to make 622 posts believe something like this?
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    weight loss happens in the kitchen....feeling healthy/fit happens with cardio and strength training. With that said, I enjoy (mostly) T25 for a quick calorie burn. Insanity Max30 is another good program. Yeah I hate the treadmill too but I'll jump on it at 10% incline for 10-15 minutes on occasion.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Bulls**t.

A calorie deficit is the key to weight loss - if you don't want to go on a treadmill, don't. Just eat less calories than you burn and you'll lose weight. A good strength training programme is ideal, so go for it if you want to do that.
  • urloved33
    Options
    Exercise to Burn CaloriesChristopher Wharton, PhD, a certified personal trainer and researcher with the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University, put it simply: "The more time spent exercising and the more vigorous the exercise, the more calories will be burned."

Indeed, obesity expert George Bray, MD, with the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., believes that taking a brisk walk every day is probably the single most important piece of advice for anyone wanting to burn more calories.

• WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    Yeah I hate the treadmill too but I'll jump on it at 10% incline for 10-15 minutes on occasion.

doing an incline helps, as well as a decline if your treadmill has that setting. i also turn it down to about 1.5 on the speed setting and really clinch my glutes with each step. or turn it up to a 15 incline and a very slow speed and make very slow but steady strides. then turn it up to 4 on speed, but no incline and go fast for a song. there are so many things you can do besides just walking at a steady pace.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill.

I pretty much hate all cardio unless I'm outside hiking on a nice day or perhaps playing Quiddich with my fellow nerds. (this usually involves beer, though, so...not so much with the weight loss)

I like to pick up heavy stuff. It makes me moosles feel lovely.

I have lost weight doing just that along with a calorie deficit.

~stirring music~ THIS IS MY TRUTH! ~fade to black~
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Stuff and nonsense. Cardio is good for cardiovascular health.

OP, if you don't like the treadmill, don't use use it. A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss. If you can, you might find that you enjoy walking more if you do it outside. Fresh air and the sights of your neighborhood add a lot to the experience. Strength training is great because it helps you retain lean body mass as you are eating in a deficit.

• DemoraFairy
    Options
    Exercise to Burn CaloriesChristopher Wharton, PhD, a certified personal trainer and researcher with the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University, put it simply: "The more time spent exercising and the more vigorous the exercise, the more calories will be burned."

Yes, that's true. I can't see how you went from what you've just said to what you said earlier.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Indeed, obesity expert George Bray, MD, with the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., believes that taking a brisk walk every day is probably the single most important piece of advice for anyone wanting to burn more calories.

You can't out-exercise a bad diet

You do not know what you think you know

• ew_david
    Options

Sweet.

My muscle helps me to burn calories at rest tho.
  • urloved33
    Options
    While it's hard to pinpoint just how long this effect (of aerobic exercise) lasts (it varies depending on body composition and level of training), "it’s safe to say metabolic rate can be elevated with aerobic exercise for at least 24 hours," says Wharton.

If you want to prolong this calorie-burning effect, Wharton advises exercising for longer periods.

"Studies have shown that with increases in exercise time, the elevation in resting metabolic rate is prolonged," he says.

2. Do Strength Training to Build MuscleWhen you exercise, you use muscle.