Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Veggies, eck!

I HATE veggies (don't judge). My wife loves them and is getting tired of cooking meals that I dont want to eat. (I do it begrudginly because I love her, though). She doesn't want to "hide" them because she likes the flavor. We cannot afford to make two different meals each dinner. Suggestions?

Replies

• claywalton
    claywalton Posts: 13 Member
    I feel your pain, I hate them too! There are a very select few that I tolerate, the rest I eat because I love her. I find a good, creamy ranch dressing goes a long way in making raw veggies edible.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    ALL veggies? seriously? There are like hundreds of them, how can you dislike all of them?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    There is no requirement to eat veggies.
    Do eat some plant foods like fruits, nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, beans and lentils, some grains, pickles, cole slaw, potatoes.
    Work it out with her before she gets more frustrated.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    You're an adult. Eat the veggies. They are necessary for optimal nutrition and ensuring you are receiving adequate vitamins and minerals.

• oreo_whore
    oreo_whore Posts: 9 Member
    You "can't afford two meals" or you're just too lazy to cook/shop for yourself? You don't have to eat the same foods as your spouse. Assuming vegetables are not the entire meal she makes, you could try the parts of her food you like and then fill up on chips or a side dish you make for yourself.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Just suck it up. You're an adult. Even my kids eat veggies.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Suggestions?

Man up and eat at least some of the vegetables that your wife cooks with your meals.

[quote="Coolfloridian;10119390"... (I do it begrudginly because I love her, though). ..[/quote]

Maybe you're already eating some, if yes, then you can gradually increase the amount you eat.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Just suck it up. You're an adult. Even my kids eat veggies.
    LOL!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    From the looks of your diary, you aren't eating anything!

It is hard to advise when we don't have any idea what you do eat.

What are you having now, a steak with a side order of steak, and fish for dessert?
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Have you tried them roasted? Pretty much any vegetable is tasty this way. Just use some oil or pam spray and whatever spices you like. Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, anything.
    A couple months ago we tried a warm shredded brussel sprout/kale bacon salad that is really good, I've made probably 8 times already. My 14 year son eats it.
    Another favorite is cooking vegetables in garlic and oil (zucchini is a favorite), then add in some plain canned tomato sauce (and add your own spices) and add cooked chicken.
    Are you using fresh vegetables? Canned or frozen often are different when cooked. Try each one and see what you like.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited March 2015
    I don't like vegetables either. Bring on the judgement.

How about instead of having veggies everyday, alternate each night with what you love to eat and what she likes to eat?
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    What if you look up recipes for vegetables that you think sounds good and offer to make them or help make them?

Google is full of interesting recipes if you plop a couple of ingredients into the search. For example my husband couldn't get enough of the panko-breaded asparagus I baked the other day.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2015
    Top 3
    1. Steamed broccoli with lemon and kosher salt.
    2. Sauteed green beans with cashews and garlic.
    3. Succotash.

Oh I forgot about carrots an hummus. . .
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    So don't eat veggies? Take a vitamin and some fiber. Problem solved.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Um, how about making a protein, starch and veggie for each meal and you just skip the veggie?
  • SojournerYouth
    SojournerYouth Posts: 18 Member
    Maybe investigate more flavorful ways of cooking them? Roasting is awesome. I just toss the veggies with olive oil and spices and roast them up. Most veggies can also be marinated before roasting for even more flavor. Also, have you tried pressed salads? I have a friend who hates veggies, but because pressed salads have so much flavor, she likes those.
  • breezy0906
    breezy0906 Posts: 164 Member
    Have you tried Flavor God yet? Its this all natural super fresh low sodium seasoning made by this fitness guy. They're so good. It'll make bland veggies amazing. I especially like the garlic lovers seasoning on broccoli and green beans
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Can't you just take less of the "side" than she does? That's what my hubby does.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,838 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »

Wrong, wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Actually, humans REQUIRE vegetables for health.

There is so much variety among vegetables and so many different ways to cook them that you are bound to be able to retrain yourself not to reject them out of hand == and you MUST if you intend to "live long and prosper."

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »

Wrong, wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Actually, humans REQUIRE vegetables for health.

There is so much variety among vegetables and so many different ways to cook them that you are bound to be able to retrain yourself not to reject them out of hand == and you MUST if you intend to "live long and prosper."

Humans require what's in vegetables for health, but they don't actually require the vegetables.