I found my "replacement" for ice cream!

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    GET OUT. tumblr_m45buqHaZR1qjbyl8o1_5001.gif

I;m all in!

• UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 175 Member
    Daniel Tiger calls it Banana Swirl. It's squishy yummy.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    I've been meaning to try this, saw it on pinterest. Add a little PB too.... <insert: Homer Simpson drooling>
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Plain yogurt plus frozen blueberries is AWESOME... tastes exactly like ice cream to me because I don't eat very much sugar.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    I have nothing against doing this if you like it, but when I did the math, I couldn't see a significant difference in calories between a frozen banana with peanut butter (cause I ain't just eatin' the banana) and the same size serving of ice cream. I'd rather have the ice cream.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    I've done it. It's good, but I nearly busted my food processor. Bananas aren't exactly lo-cal or low sugar. You also have to eat it right away. It turns into baby food consistency quickly.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    I have a yonanas maker thing it makes the most perfect banana ice cream mmmmmm i make huge bowls of it all the time
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Glad you found something that makes you happy.

But frozen banana =/= ice cream. or frozen yogurt.

This.

Also +1 on the fact that it is really not more calorie friendly than just eating a serving of regular ice cream or gelato, especially if you are adding things like peanut butter to it.

Plus there is just one flavor of frozen bananas, as opposed to the THOUSANDS of flavor combinations of ice cream/gelato.

And lastly, a lot more cleanup.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited March 2015
    trixieloo wrote: »
    I have nothing against doing this if you like it, but when I did the math, I couldn't see a significant difference in calories between a frozen banana with peanut butter (cause I ain't just eatin' the banana) and the same size serving of ice cream. I'd rather have the ice cream.

This is how I have always felt about it.

I like the frozen banana thing but I'm an ice cream/gelato enthusiast and it's not the same by any stretch.
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    Banana is not my favorite fruit, but I need to eat more...I need the potassium (and I need to eat more fruit). I am going to try this. I love ice cream (and Talenti gelato). Hopefully, I will like this also.

Thanks, for sharing.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    What's wrong with added sugar?

I really like Healthy Choice 80 calorie fudge bars. I just tried Yasso frozen greek yoghurt vanilla bean ice cream bars. Skinnycow ice cream sandwiches are good too: vanilla (140 cals) & cookies and cream (150 cals). I like pre-portioned ice cream bars/sandwiches in general, since most are <180 calories.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »

This.

Also +1 on the fact that it is really not more calorie friendly than just eating a serving of regular ice cream or gelato, especially if you are adding things like peanut butter to it.

Plus there is just one flavor of frozen bananas, as opposed to the THOUSANDS of flavor combinations of ice cream/gelato.

If you eat right out of the pint all you gotta clean is the spoon!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »

This.

If you eat right out of the pint all you gotta clean is the spoon!!

Depending how much tongue dexterity you have, you may not even have to clean that much!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    But why? Surely a mashed banana is not that many more calories than ice cream anyway.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    EWJLang wrote: »
    A frozen banana with added PB2 or protein powder will have almost as many calories in 100g as a same-sized serving of gelato or sorbet.

There is money in the banana stand, to be sure....but I'd rather keep working in small servings of high-quality real frozen dairy. :)

<3

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    STOP CALLING IT ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!!!

It's mashed frozen bananas.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I like frozen chocolate covered bananas. But if I want ice cream, a banana isn't going to cut it!
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Well good on you if it works better for your lifestyle!

Personally, I've come to replace ice cream with Magnum bars and Talenti. Regular ice cream can't really compare, not even Blue Bell... I'm gonna need to stock up soon as I haven't indulged in those in a while x-x
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Akaja wrote: »

Personally, I've come to replace ice cream with Magnum bars and Talenti. Regular ice cream can't really compare, not even Blue Bell... I'm gonna need to stock up soon as I haven't indulged in those in a while x-x

Those mini Magnum bars are amazing and only around 150 calories. They're the perfect size for me.
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Akaja wrote: »

Those mini Magnum bars are amazing and only around 150 calories. They're the perfect size for me.

I might pick those up, then. I love the big ones with layers of fudge/chocolate, but they are like 340 cals each. Extremely yummy, just not cal budget-friendly lol.