I found my "replacement" for ice cream!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Glad you found something that makes you happy.

But frozen banana =/= ice cream. or frozen yogurt.

This.

Also +1 on the fact that it is really not more calorie friendly than just eating a serving of regular ice cream or gelato, especially if you are adding things like peanut butter to it.

Plus there is just one flavor of frozen bananas, as opposed to the THOUSANDS of flavor combinations of ice cream/gelato.

And lastly, a lot more cleanup.

Exactly.

A serving of ice cream/gelato is usually pretty good on calories. I've found they usually range anywhere from 120-250 calories, depending on whether it has mix-ins or is a light ice cream. That's really not too terrible. A banana by itself is usually about 100 calories (depending on weight, of course), but add in peanut butter or cocoa and it's pretty much equal to ice cream in calories.

There's nothing wrong with frozen banana, mind you. But I wouldn't ever replace ice cream for it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    But...ice cream...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Akaja wrote: »
    Akaja wrote: »
    Well good on you if it works better for your lifestyle!

Personally, I've come to replace ice cream with Magnum bars and Talenti. Regular ice cream can't really compare, not even Blue Bell... I'm gonna need to stock up soon as I haven't indulged in those in a while x-x

Those mini Magnum bars are amazing and only around 150 calories. They're the perfect size for me.

I might pick those up, then. I love the big ones with layers of fudge/chocolate, but they are like 340 cals each. Extremely yummy, just not cal budget-friendly lol.

They have the original, almond, caramel, white chocolate and the gold in mini size.
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    I have to agree I would have never thought of this, I recently saw something where they do this with pineapple, puree and add almond or coconut milk to it.

Thanks for sharing!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    I have to agree I would have never thought of this, I recently saw something where they do this with pineapple, puree and add almond or coconut milk to it.

Thanks for sharing!

I bet that would be amazing with some rum and vodka!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member

Thanks for sharing!

You. I like You.
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    I enjoy frozen banana ice cream but my go to is basically a frozen large 8ounce protein shake for alittle over 100 calories.
    It gives me tons of extra protein. Takes forever to eat and I dont grt the sugar high extra cravings that I do after eating a small bowl of ice cream
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    I found my replacement for ice cream...

tumblr_n8q10wASxy1s9x5uco1_500.jpg
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I think I've found the perfect compromise.

banana-royal.jpg
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    TOXINZ R DELISHUSS
  • MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    love this!! Definitely going to try this out.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    I do this. So much better than any banana gelato

I prefer this to most ice creams anyway

Put a dash of coconut cream or milk is nice.

Then i add crush salted cashews.

Fit it into your macros otherwise jsut eat it and move on :)

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I make a pretty amazing salted caramel ice cream

No bananas in sight
  • Daisy253
    Daisy253 Posts: 42 Member
    My replacement for ice cream is not calorie friendly but delicious and good for you. I could eat this 5 times a day.

Steel cut oats 45g
    175g vanilla low fat yoghurt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    10g goji berries
    1/4 cup blueberries.
    310cals

Mix together and put in freezer for 15 minutes. Oats soak up the yoghurt and get soft and icey. Yuuuuum :)
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member

Thanks for sharing!

it's like you read my mind!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    This definitely isn't a good replacement for ice cream. Most low calorie ice creams are around 100-170 calories per serving & a banana concoction is vastly a lot more.

Banana can be anywhere from 110-160 calories depending on the size, then you have peanut butter that ranges anywhere from 180-200+ calories for two servings, milk/yogurt can also up the calories a great deal & that's not even including toppings.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    trixieloo wrote: »
    I have nothing against doing this if you like it, but when I did the math, I couldn't see a significant difference in calories between a frozen banana with peanut butter (cause I ain't just eatin' the banana) and the same size serving of ice cream. I'd rather have the ice cream.

That's why "nicecream" works for me. It's enough like ice cream that I feel satisfied but not enough like ice cream that I eat too much of it. Which is the problem (for me) with ice cream. Plus, I make it one banana at a time so it's difficult to go back for extra portions. Adding cocoa powder to make it chocolate works if you dont want the calorie hit of PB (there is so much sugar in a banana that you can add plain cocoa powder which is low cal).

• tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    made it last year, found it disgusting. Gets gummy in the freezer after awhile and turns darker than fresh bananas. And it seems to get sweeter (which doesn't help since I don't like overly ripe bananas). Not my thing, but definitely a healthy snack if you like it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    That's not ice cream, just frozen banana. If I want ice cream, I rather have the REAL thing!! ;)