Weighted Pull Ups - do ya do em?

Options
13»

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I had worked up to 70lbs 3x5 at a bodyweight of 185 several months ago. I need to get back to it. I think that made me feel more bad@$$ than when I squatted 400 for the first time.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Used to do them in my 20's, but a torn biceps tendon and 28 years later, I've eliminated pullups in general (along with preacher curls). They were both favorites, but also contributing factors to the tear.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    <--
    I like them. But I have to use neutral grip or chins or they bother my shoulders and elbows.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do weighted pull ups and chin ups ...freaking love them.

for pull ups I am at about 35# 4x6
    chin ups 50# 4x5
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I was doing them as one of my main movements last summer.

A heavyish triple complexed with 5-6 reps of med ball slams. Really different to the style of training I was doing before (or since) and a refreshing change of pace.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

chin ups 50# 4x5

Nice numbers!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was able to work up to 10 pullups in a row when I was about 15 pounds heavier than now (a 43 year old "girl", 5'5" now 130 pounds). I now do them with a 12 pound weighted vest so I dont lose that extra strength since my body weight went down.

I do dips occasionally with the chain and hanging weight, or just use the weighted vest (less wear and tear on you i think). I may have to get a heavier vest though.
  • nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Never done weighted pull-ups and up until a few months ago I could not even do 1 regular pull-up! Now the most I can do consecutively at once is 10 (I do like 3 sets if at least 5, which is a huge improvement for me). Maybe I'll be strong enough one day to add some weight haha!
  • ricardo510diaz
    ricardo510diaz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Never done weighted pull-ups and up until a few months ago I could not even do 1 regular pull-up! Now the most I can do consecutively at once is 10 (I do like 3 sets if at least 5, which is a huge improvement for me). Maybe I'll be strong enough one day to add some weight haha!

Cool to see you worked up to ten, a lot of people tell me their goal is 10 pull ups so congratulations on reaching that. The pull up is one of the best exercises man can do. If your pull ups are pretty solid, you could try grabbing a 15lb dumbbell between your feet and see how many you can do; that's how I started and have worked my way up to 70lbs for 3x5 always working at no more than 5 reps on weighted pull ups.
  • ricardo510diaz
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    I was able to work up to 10 pullups in a row when I was about 15 pounds heavier than now (a 43 year old "girl", 5'5" now 130 pounds). I now do them with a 12 pound weighted vest so I dont lose that extra strength since my body weight went down.

I do dips occasionally with the chain and hanging weight, or just use the weighted vest (less wear and tear on you i think). I may have to get a heavier vest though.

Impressively strong. Most guys I know can't even do 10 body weight pull ups. I've found once the weight gets heavier the chain can be kind of uncomfortable on the hips. Good to see you do them though.
    ndj1979 wrote: »

chin ups 50# 4x5

I'll second the "nice numbers", I've wanted to make a point to switch weighted pull ups around with weighted chin ups as I usually first do the pull ups heavier and then do some lighter weighted chins afterwords. It would be good to do heavier chins then lighter pull ups for variety.

McCloud33 wrote: »
    I had worked up to 70lbs 3x5 at a bodyweight of 185 several months ago. I need to get back to it. I think that made me feel more bad@$$ than when I squatted 400 for the first time.

Strong, man, that's where I'm at right now, except I weigh about 40lbs less so your 70lbs at 185 is way more bad @$$ hahaha. Trying to get 90lbs by the end of the year. Mirin the squat strength too, my last squat PR was like half that, 275lbs, but I'm working at increasing both.
    rybo wrote: »
    I think i will do some weighted pulls tonight. There are some really strong peeps in this thread

Glad another person is inspired to give them a go. If you can do a number of body weight pull ups start light and progress like any other lift and your back and biceps will thank you.
    Used to do them in my 20's, but a torn biceps tendon and 28 years later, I've eliminated pullups in general (along with preacher curls). They were both favorites, but also contributing factors to the tear.

Ouch. Yeah they can be strenuous on the biceps; a lot of people curl like 40lb dumbbells, but your biceps have to work a hell of a lot harder to move 200lbs so the possibility of a tear is most definitely there. The only injury I've sustained so far was in my shoulder, I was trying to jump way too high with the weight and learned I had to be more patient the hard way.

• vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't really do them ... Unless I want to switch my routine ... I do more bb-db Bent over rows
  • ricardo510diaz
    edited March 2015
    Options
    vfit10 wrote: »
    I don't really do them ... Unless I want to switch my routine ... I do more bb-db Bent over rows

Yeah the split I follow is push/pull/legs so on pull I do weighted pull ups, weighted chins, then t-bar rows, and barbell rows. I usually switch up which row I do heavier and first, heavy t bar first one workout and heavy barbell first the next, followed by the other one lighter. Never did barbell rows until recently as I sucked at hip hinging to get into position, but I've recently learned that if you suck at something for no reason aside from laziness, you should do it more until you no longer suck at it.

They're all great movements for a strong back though.
  • rgrissman
    rgrissman Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do 3x5 +35 lbs (BW is 205)

When I started 6 months ago, I could barely do 1 bodyweight pull up...