I started my 1500 calorie a week ago no results

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not enough you really need to get the mindset of being patient or you will drive yourself mad.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    <Insert lolz here>
    It takes weekS plural to see things start to happen.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its too soon to expect results but you are also *probably* eating more than you think you are. its a common mistake most people make when they first begin.

• Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Eating over 1200 never worked for me. The only time that I have results in the first week is when I went low carb ( 30 grams a day max) and stayed at 1200 cals a day with 30 minutes of cardio every other day.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    I have started my 1500 calorie diet a week ago and have been drinking only water, is it too soon to weigh in and expect a 1 pound weight loss result? I am eating alot healthier and alot less calories than I used to. and have started some light exercise which Im usually not active at all. Any advice is much appreciated since this is all new to me.

Patience. Things take time, and one week is a rather short period.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/mfp-101-patience-you-must-have-it-713900
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You've been dieting a week and you've not seen any results? Urr ma gawd, panicks!!!! :open_mouth:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    New exercise routine - expect water retention (also applies to increased intensity in workouts)
    Not weighing food - possibly eating more than you realize
    Weight fluctuates a lot. Which is why it's a good idea to wait a few weeks (I recommend at least 4) before you determine if something is working or not. Also along the lines of fluctuations, don't be surprised if you see a gain around that TOM.

These were my thoughts too..... also, you can tell very little from 2 weigh ins, what you are looking for is a trend line over time, will require more data than 2 points, so weigh in this week, log it, and weigh in again next week, log it, so on and so on....

If you are a beginner I always recommend reading these two posts:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide#latest

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    3. If you don't start losing weight in the next week or two, you might consider lowering your calorie limit. Many of us here are on 1200/day.
    Eating over 1200 never worked for me. The only time that I have results in the first week is when I went low carb ( 30 grams a day max) and stayed at 1200 cals a day with 30 minutes of cardio every other day.

I would not suggest doing either of these at this point (or the second one really ever, 30g of carbs a day is just torture in my book, not sustainable at all).....give your current system enough time to see if it is working first. There are lots of people who lose on over 1200 calories too. I am currently 1600+exercise and losing at a rate that makes me happy.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it takes longer than a week.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'm gathering from your post that you haven't weighed in yet. You're asking us if it's too soon to weigh in and see a difference. The answer is: it depends on the person and their lifestyle before reducing their calories.

If you were eating and drinking 3000 calories a day, and now you're eating 1500, you'll probably see a loss. Now, while you'll see a loss, it won't all be fat. It will be mostly water. If you didn't reduce your calories by much, you won't see much of a loss in one week.

Like other posters said, one week is far too short to see if what you're doing is actually working. Our weights can fluctuate quite a bit so you need a longer time of tracking to see if what you're doing is actually working. Keep up with what you're doing, weigh in once a week, and keep track of what your weight is doing. At the end of 3-5 weeks, evaluate what you've done and the results you've gotten. If you're losing, keep it up. If you're maintaining, you need to reduce cals. If you've gained, you need to cut cals.

Also, like PP said, if you aren't already you should consider weighing all of your food. Measuring cups are highly inaccurate for solid foods. When you're first starting out, weighing may not be necessary, but as you lose you'll need to be more accurate with your food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    yup too soon …it can take your body up to three to four weeks to adjust to a new intake.

are you using a food scale to weigh all solids?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    Well, obviously you are overeating if not maintaining. If you arent going to keep a proper record of your foods...just eat bananas, tofu, tomatoes, beef.
    Thats what I did because I got lazy with the food measuring and I lost over 10 kgs in over a month.

curious how you know this when OP has not listed how she is measuring food and it has only been a week?

assume much?
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    First, you are really cute in your pic! Second, lots of folks weigh every day, some weigh every week. If you weigh every day, you have to understand that you will be going up and down by 2 lbs. or so just because of what you eat, water retention, etc., so you can't be upset by little gains. What matters is the weight around which the fluctuations are centered (e.g., I'm 145 lbs. +/- 2 lbs. on any given day, and that's cool!).

Third, how did you determine your calorie intake goal? Did you use MFP, possibly cross-checking against Scooby's Workshop? I know 1,500 would be too much for me given an office job (not accounting for calories "earned" through exercise). If you are thinner already, your calorie goal may be a bit less than 1,500/day to lose weight.

Lastly, if you have your calorie goal set properly and if you really are logging everything you eat honestly and accurately, give it a few more days, check again, and then consider adjusting your daily goal down by 25 cals. or so. (To tweak your goals, click Goals > Change Goals > Guided, Continue, enter in your accurate information and realistic goal weight, and click Update Profile.)

With 20 lbs. to lose, I lost about a lb. every 10 days (even with the cal. goal set to 1 lb./week, just because I wasn't 100% accurate or on the ball). This worked well for me.

Good luck! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Jessica! Give your body some time to adjust. Everyone's body's react differently but remember, that 1 pound a week is just a short term goal in the big picture. You WILL start to see changes if you keep it up and exercise as well. Focus on the long term goal and the weekly pounds lost will get you there! It's hard to remember that any changes, any habit, anything WORTHWHILE takes time! Good luck!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    Well, obviously you are overeating if not maintaining. If you arent going to keep a proper record of your foods...just eat bananas, tofu, tomatoes, beef.
    Thats what I did because I got lazy with the food measuring and I lost over 10 kgs in over a month.

Egad. This is terrible advice. To each their own, but, no, you don't have to "just eat" tofu and bananas. People that need to lose can lose weight eating all sorts of foods, as long as it fits within personal calorie goals.

@hhnkhl, is that really you in your profile photo? If so, please don't lose 50 more lbs.! I don't think you could survive it. Be sure to get help if you are having trouble maintaining a healthy weight. You can check to see if you are clinically underweight using a BMI calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator .

If that's not actually you, nevermind... :disagree:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    1. It might be too soon.
    2. It's not a bad idea to increase your activity level.
    3. If you don't start losing weight in the next week or two, you might consider lowering your calorie limit. Many of us here are on 1200/day.

Really, advising her to lower her limit to 1200? MOST people don't need to be at 1200 calories a day. I would highly recommend a TDEE calculator instead of the MFP recommendation, which is often too low.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I have started my 1500 calorie diet a week ago and have been drinking only water, is it too soon to weigh in and expect a 1 pound weight loss result? I am eating alot healthier and alot less calories than I used to. and have started some light exercise which Im usually not active at all. Any advice is much appreciated since this is all new to me.

This isn't something that will happen overnight. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll start seeing results. It took a month before the scale moved for me.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Some weeks you'll lose, some weeks you won't. Some weeks you might lose a couple pounds, some weeks you might only lose a couple ounces. Some weeks you might even show a gain. It's all normal. Give it time.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    nobody has ever lost weight in 1 week. despite what who wants to sell you expensive magic potions says. you are very ingenous
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Some weeks you'll lose, some weeks you won't. Some weeks you might lose a couple pounds, some weeks you might only lose a couple ounces. Some weeks you might even show a gain. It's all normal. Give it time.

That's how my body works, anyway! Weighing myself first thing in the morning after I've peed (one's true weight!), for two or three weeks I'll fluctuate between 1-3 pounds, then bam the next week I'll lose two or three pounds from my low fluctuation. Today I was at my lowest since starting: 150.0. But that was after a previous low of 150.2, then fluctuating all the way up to 152.4 in a two week period, which was just a couple of days ago. Some people suggest weighing yourself once a week just for this reason.

Also, when I first started, it was nearly six weeks before the weight started to come off. I may have been holding back a tidal wave of weight gain . . .
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If your goal is just to lose weight, then yes too soon. If you are looking to have an overall healthier lifestyle and properly track your diet, then yes you should be checking once every 1-2 weeks.

Can you please explain?

Sure, you have probably heard this a billion times but health and fitness is a lifestyle and not a short term goal. If you are just looking for that quick solution is cut down what you eat, drink more water and walk more and check in every month to adjust. If you really are committed to a health lifestyle that entails making sure that you pay close to your BMR and changing you calories based on that which means you do have to check your weight more frequently. Im a huge advocate of IIFYM and adjust every 3-4 days because of I am currently cutting weight (fancy term for calorie deficit to lose fat and retain as much muscle as I can). Anyone looking to lose weight the healthy way should really hit that scale once a week and make sure they are hitting calories by eatting the right foods and the proper balance of macronutrients (protein/carbohydrates/fat). If you want to know more add me and message me questions or you can take a look at my public diary for an idea of what I do.