Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    If your goal is just to lose weight, then yes too soon. If you are looking to have an overall healthier lifestyle and properly track your diet, then yes you should be checking once every 1-2 weeks.

Can you please explain?

Sure, you have probably heard this a billion times but health and fitness is a lifestyle and not a short term goal. If you are just looking for that quick solution is cut down what you eat, drink more water and walk more and check in every month to adjust. If you really are committed to a health lifestyle that entails making sure that you pay close to your BMR and changing you calories based on that which means you do have to check your weight more frequently. Im a huge advocate of IIFYM and adjust every 3-4 days because of I am currently cutting weight (fancy term for calorie deficit to lose fat and retain as much muscle as I can). Anyone looking to lose weight the healthy way should really hit that scale once a week and make sure they are hitting calories by eatting the right foods and the proper balance of macronutrients (protein/carbohydrates/fat). If you want to know more add me and message me questions or you can take a look at my public diary for an idea of what I do.

You adjust every 3-4 days?

yeah....that's not...not good. Borderline disordered, dude.

And, OP, a week is no time at all. Your weight is going to fluctuate up to 5 pounds over the course of the day, depending on your water retention and digestive timing. (In other words, what is the weight of the actual food you've eaten and where is it currently hanging out on its journey to the sewer?)

I can't believe people have jumped to "you must be eating too much!" and "Go lower on your calories!" when OP has only been at this for a week! You look young and tall in your photo, 1500 is probably a sensible target for you, so keep on for a bit. Cutting all the way back to 1200 sends many, many people to the forums wailing that they're staaaaaarving or that they broke down and ate an entire bag of candy in rebellion. 1500 is incredibly doable and attainable, so if you came to that number through TDEE calculators or MFP's, I bet it's a fine setting for you for now. I'm on 1500 and an old hag....still a deficit, still losing. If you still don't see changes in your weight or measurements after a month, then reconsider from there.

Hey now lets wait for their reply. Tag @upgradeddiddy‌

Ha, again the weight itself is just a number to update my calculators to plan my meals so on any given day I can look and say "hey, maybe I can add a bowl of oatmeal here!" Or "okay let's NOT take that cookie" a little obsessive yes but my concern is meeting the proper calories and eating the right macro sources which is why I premised it by saying if you want to just "lose weight" once a month is fine. But if you are interested in a lifestyle you should know your weight on a weekly/biweekly basis and body fat on a biweekly/monthly basis.

You just keep saying the same thing over and over. Knock it off. It's a ridiculous statement. Lose weight, weigh monthly. Be healthy weigh weekly. That's just a rule you made up that has no basis.

Why so angry? I have my way and you have yours obviously. And yes I have my guidelines because they work for me. That's really the end of it for anyone for health and fitness is what works for them. There is no "ridiculous" ideas out there, hence why there is the community on here in the first place, share ideas and get different views.

If they are your guidelines but you insist on promoting them to other people as the way they should do things then you should provide valid reasoning why your way is the way it should be and why doing the opposite is worse. Until then you will continue to get called out for nonsense.

Apologies if I "insisted" anything, seems to have struck a nerve even though I don't think in any part of what I said where I said anything she was doing was wrong, I believe I said if it's just an overall weight loss goal do one thing if it's a lifestyle change do the other, but I digress... I just stated my opinion based on what has worked for me, what I have observed from others (whether athletic or non-athletic) and what I have read. You can choose to agree and apply it or you can choose to disagree and do something else ain't a thing to me what you do. But you have to be pretty weak minded to keep saying that someone's opinion is nonsense when at the end of the day it's an opinion and not one persons opinion is right or wrong because it's up to the individual to make a choice on what they choose to believe or not. But hey that's just my OPINION again smh

And yet you still provide no facts as to why someone should weigh every 3 or 4 days to be heal th y and every month just to lose weight. Care to give it a shot?

Fact: Your weight changes daily...Fact: Your activity levels change daily...Fact: You do not eat the same things daily (if you actually did we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.) So above anything else you caloric needs are going to change daily based on all of those factors. Now I don't expect myself or anyone on this thread to be changing their numbers daily because that is WAY too much but in achieving a healthy lifestyle (especially to someone just starting) you need to be checking your progress more frequently just so you get a grasp of your own diet, energy levels and how your body responds to those changes. Again that is a lifestyle change. If you are just looking to lose weight here and there and not take steps to really make a lifestyle change then yea, make you food cuts here and there and check up in a month to see if you need to change some more. Take it or leave it...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    If your goal is just to lose weight, then yes too soon. If you are looking to have an overall healthier lifestyle and properly track your diet, then yes you should be checking once every 1-2 weeks.

Can you please explain?

Sure, you have probably heard this a billion times but health and fitness is a lifestyle and not a short term goal. If you are just looking for that quick solution is cut down what you eat, drink more water and walk more and check in every month to adjust. If you really are committed to a health lifestyle that entails making sure that you pay close to your BMR and changing you calories based on that which means you do have to check your weight more frequently. Im a huge advocate of IIFYM and adjust every 3-4 days because of I am currently cutting weight (fancy term for calorie deficit to lose fat and retain as much muscle as I can). Anyone looking to lose weight the healthy way should really hit that scale once a week and make sure they are hitting calories by eatting the right foods and the proper balance of macronutrients (protein/carbohydrates/fat). If you want to know more add me and message me questions or you can take a look at my public diary for an idea of what I do.

And, OP, a week is no time at all. Your weight is going to fluctuate up to 5 pounds over the course of the day, depending on your water retention and digestive timing. (In other words, what is the weight of the actual food you've eaten and where is it currently hanging out on its journey to the sewer?)

I can't believe people have jumped to "you must be eating too much!" and "Go lower on your calories!" when OP has only been at this for a week! You look young and tall in your photo, 1500 is probably a sensible target for you, so keep on for a bit. Cutting all the way back to 1200 sends many, many people to the forums wailing that they're staaaaaarving or that they broke down and ate an entire bag of candy in rebellion. 1500 is incredibly doable and attainable, so if you came to that number through TDEE calculators or MFP's, I bet it's a fine setting for you for now. I'm on 1500 and an old hag....still a deficit, still losing. If you still don't see changes in your weight or measurements after a month, then reconsider from there.

Ha, again the weight itself is just a number to update my calculators to plan my meals so on any given day I can look and say "hey, maybe I can add a bowl of oatmeal here!" Or "okay let's NOT take that cookie" a little obsessive yes but my concern is meeting the proper calories and eating the right macro sources which is why I premised it by saying if you want to just "lose weight" once a month is fine. But if you are interested in a lifestyle you should know your weight on a weekly/biweekly basis and body fat on a biweekly/monthly basis.

You just keep saying the same thing over and over. Knock it off. It's a ridiculous statement. Lose weight, weigh monthly. Be healthy weigh weekly. That's just a rule you made up that has no basis.

Why so angry? I have my way and you have yours obviously. And yes I have my guidelines because they work for me. That's really the end of it for anyone for health and fitness is what works for them. There is no "ridiculous" ideas out there, hence why there is the community on here in the first place, share ideas and get different views.

If they are your guidelines but you insist on promoting them to other people as the way they should do things then you should provide valid reasoning why your way is the way it should be and why doing the opposite is worse. Until then you will continue to get called out for nonsense.

Apologies if I "insisted" anything, seems to have struck a nerve even though I don't think in any part of what I said where I said anything she was doing was wrong, I believe I said if it's just an overall weight loss goal do one thing if it's a lifestyle change do the other, but I digress... I just stated my opinion based on what has worked for me, what I have observed from others (whether athletic or non-athletic) and what I have read. You can choose to agree and apply it or you can choose to disagree and do something else ain't a thing to me what you do. But you have to be pretty weak minded to keep saying that someone's opinion is nonsense when at the end of the day it's an opinion and not one persons opinion is right or wrong because it's up to the individual to make a choice on what they choose to believe or not. But hey that's just my OPINION again smh

And yet you still provide no facts as to why someone should weigh every 3 or 4 days to be heal th y and every month just to lose weight. Care to give it a shot?

Fact: Your weight changes daily...Fact: Your activity levels change daily...Fact: You do not eat the same things daily (if you actually did we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.) So above anything else you caloric needs are going to change daily based on all of those factors. Now I don't expect myself or anyone on this thread to be changing their numbers daily because that is WAY too much but in achieving a healthy lifestyle (especially to someone just starting) you need to be checking your progress more frequently just so you get a grasp of your own diet, energy levels and how your body responds to those changes. Again that is a lifestyle change. If you are just looking to lose weight here and there and not take steps to really make a lifestyle change then yea, make you food cuts here and there and check up in a month to see if you need to change some more. Take it or leave it...

You are making this way more complicated than it it.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    To me 1500 seems like too much. Give it another week and if you are not happy with your results lower your calories. I have great success on 1200 and 1350 on the days I work out (jog/run). You just have to give it time and find what works for you.

You don't know her stats. I eat 1700-1900 a day and lose. Everyone's body and needs are different.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Can you please explain?

............ Unless you are losing like 10lbs every week (in which case, you're cutting wrong) then there is zero need to adjust your numbers.
  • ana3067
    Options

Can you please explain?

This. I've done daily, weekly, and practically never weighing throughout my journey here. Weighing doesn't change my habits, especially since scale weight fluctuates aaaall the time.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Can you please explain?

You are making this way more complicated than it it.

It was simple...1-2 weeks. You guys didn't like that soooo.....
  • ana3067
    Options

Can you please explain?

Interesting. So you go out and get body fat % measurement monthly? No those cheap inaccurate scales either.

Also you didn't answer my first question which was.

Can you please explain?

I old school it, I have a friend that has his own body caliper and measure hip fat, ab fat, arm fat and thigh fat and use one of the only calculators with those measurements to get body fat. Also the gym I just joined (since I am moving closer to my work) does have events where the do those measurements for free as well. And yes on average I weigh myself every 3-4 days and the log it into myfitnesspal pal and compare my calorie needs to the Harris-Benedict calculator to make sure they are close so I have a break down of my calorie/protein/carbohydrate/fat needs

Dude.. I'm anul about my logging and I don't even do all of this. You're overthinking it. Weigh however often you want, adjust your calories/macros up/down based on real world results after a month minimum or after losing ~10lbs. No need to adjust your crap every fracking 3 days... jesus.
  • ana3067
    Options
    To me 1500 seems like too much. Give it another week and if you are not happy with your results lower your calories. I have great success on 1200 and 1350 on the days I work out (jog/run). You just have to give it time and find what works for you.

Why would it be too much when most people could maintain on more than that?
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Can you please explain?

............ Unless you are losing like 10lbs every week (in which case, you're cutting wrong) then there is zero need to adjust your numbers.

My way has me down 6 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks based on the 500 calorie deficit I'm on (1 pound per week), working a desk job and going to the gym 4-6 days a week which also includes cheat days. Works for me and is not wrong for me.
  • ana3067
    Options

Can you please explain?

giphy.gif
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Can you please explain?

Interesting. So you go out and get body fat % measurement monthly? No those cheap inaccurate scales either.

Can you please explain?

I old school it, I have a friend that has his own body caliper and measure hip fat, ab fat, arm fat and thigh fat and use one of the only calculators with those measurements to get body fat. Also the gym I just joined (since I am moving closer to my work) does have events where the do those measurements for free as well. And yes on average I weigh myself every 3-4 days and the log it into myfitnesspal pal and compare my calorie needs to the Harris-Benedict calculator to make sure they are close so I have a break down of my calorie/protein/carbohydrate/fat needs

Dude.. I'm anul about my logging and I don't even do all of this. You're overthinking it. Weigh however often you want, adjust your calories/macros up/down based on real world results after a month minimum or after losing ~10lbs. No need to adjust your crap every fracking 3 days... jesus.

Another thing is he is very hypocritical which I hate. I guess he does not see it but if he wants I will point it out to him.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What are you basing your "1500 seems like too much" on? We don't know OP's stats as far as height, weight, activity level. Her profile ticker says she wants to lose 35 lbs. The only other thing we know is that she's been at this for a week. I don't even think she has weighed herself yet, it sounded like she was afraid to actually get on the scale and be disappointed, not that she had weighed herself and not seen any results.

• upgradeddiddy
    Options

Can you please explain?

Can you please explain?

Another thing is he is very hypocritical which I hate. I guess he does not see it but if he wants I will point it out to him.

Ehh don't bother this just seems to a situation where I agree the we disagree and move on. Good luck with your goals!
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Can you please explain?

Can you please explain?

Ehh don't bother this just seems to a situation where I agree the we disagree and move on. Good luck with your goals!

Yup he doesn't see it so I can agree to disregard most of what was said since like someone said before it made no sense.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Can you please explain?

so anyone not doing it your way is not going to meet their body recomp goals?
  • ackerman77
    ackerman77 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't be disheartened, it may take your body a short time to adjust. My weight is up and down most of the time, throw away any scales you have. I wish you luck xx
  • upgradeddiddy
    Options

Can you please explain?

Questions time:

How do you on a daily basis determine how much of the lack of movement downward of the number on the scale do you chalk up to the increase of cortisol so that you can properly adjust your increments in calories?

How do you go about determining the days reserve glycogen level weight in order to not adjust improperly? How mugh glycogen are you holding on the evening after training? How much glycogen are you holding the the next evening on your day of rest?

After a day of a whoosh how can you determine how much fat was lost so that you don't increase calories to much in order to compensate for the bigger loss?

If the person is slated to weigh in on Monday morning but on Sunday night the family goes out for Chinese food, how should that affect the way the person evaluates the reading on the scale the next morning? Should they not weigh in or is there a formula the should use to determine if fat loss did or did not occur?

If on let's say for instance the end of week 3 the night before the weigh in the person has a steak dinner with some vegetables and potatoes then weighs in. in week r the person does that exact same routine to the last calorie but on the night before the Monday weigh in they don't go to a steak dinner but instead the have no time for a meal like that so they have a Whey shake followed by a big salad with a variety of ingredients making sure that the calories and macros match the dinner form the week before, should the person see the same exact weight percentage drop being that all the numbers would be 100% identical?

Nice lots of big questions with vague and random descriptions but sure...

The increase in cortisol is a tough thing to track because what you probably already know is that this is a hormone released by stress on the body. That has unlimited factors but the one we can determine are exercise and work lifestyle (the whole reason why there is a drop down for sedentary lifestyle up to very active lifestyle on your calorie counter to give you a raw estimate of your caloric needs). The other part of this that really I have no answer for is how to adjust for when you are sick, when you are injured, pregnancy, freaking out after a fender bender, etc so you got me there. This is why for me I just leave my setting on sedentary lifestyle and add my exercise and steps. This at lease gives me if all I do is walk a little bit I know what I need to eat to keep my calorie goals. If something happens at work, my girlfriend and I have a heated argument... Can't track that sorry.

Glycogen also I can't speak to if you have diabetes, hyperglycemia or any other metabolic disease but IIFYM really gives me my base line of how many carbs/protein/fat I need to eat to meet my caloric needs and my metabolism should really already be accounted for when I calculate my BMR (basal metabolic rate...kind of explains itself) and whatever calorie surplus or deficits I set. I measure what I need to put in my body based on what I do or don't do in the gym and how much move throughout the day.

Like I said a couple posts ago I track my body fat either once every two weeks or once every month when I can and based on weight lost and differences in body fat percentages I can see how much fat was lost. Really the percentage (since nowadays all I do is weightlifting) is an indicator of whether I still have enough fat in reserve to continue to increase weights in the gym or if I should change my routine for muscular maintenance as at a certain body fat % it is nearly impossible to get stronger which differs for everyone.

For your questions about meals all of that goes back to tracking macros and planning your meals. Depending on the restaurant it may be impossible to get a exact numbers but most chains now a days give you a breakdown of calories/protein/carbs/fat/sodium/potassium. This is where IIFYM can suck because you can't have everything (I miss ribs sooo much right now). At the end of the day you have to take a bit more of control of what's going in your body, customize if you can and plan at the beginning of your day what you plan to eat to meet your goals.

I can almost guarantee there is going to be a lot of hate on this answer so again, take it or leave it. And good luck with your goals.
  • Jenskiski
    Jenskiski Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm going against the grain - 1 week, especially the first week, is long enough to see a change. If you go another week without losing anything you know that you are eating too much and you need to reduce your food intake.