breakfast or skip

Options

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast. I am not pleasant when hungry and I always wake up hungry. Maybe because I dream about food a lot. When I was younger I could skip breakfast and not have lunch til 3 with no ill effects. I find it harder to skip meals or eat late now.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    You need at least three meals a day. That's important. Whether you skip breakfast or not

You don't NEED 3 meals per day.

It is however, in your best interests to spread out protein feedings throughout the day as repeated smaller protein feedings (which meet the minimum leucine threshold of 3g) will stimulate MPS more so than larger infrequent feedings. This helps maintain LBM in a fat loss phase, and gain lbm in a bulking phase.

I'm not saying you need to eat 8 times per day for optimal progress though :pensive: (previously IFer, now just eat whenever hungry. Sometimes, that means eating breakfast, sometimes that means midnight snacks :smile:
  • robw235
    robw235 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    For me, breakfast is an important meal. I am taking care to make sure it's high protein and fiber. Eat around the same time each morning (6:00) usually around 300 calories, and typically including some whole grains and berries. Coffee with a tiny bit of fat free milk. This morning it's steel cut oats and blueberries with some ground flax seed mixed in. A meal like this, supplemented with plenty of water will keep me satisfied until lunch at noon.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You need at least three meals a day. That's important. Whether you skip breakfast or not

Nope. You need a certain number of calories a day. How many meals you break them down into is entirely up to personal preference.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly fine to skip breakfast. I am one of those people that gets very hungry if i eat breakfast. I can go all the way to lunch without even blinking when I don't eat in the morning
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I get very hungry when having breakfast, even if it's a protein/fat composition. Carbs even worse. So I just skip the first meal and start eating somewhere around 14-19 pm. It retrained my grazing habits better than eating small meals all the time. But we're all different. I can still sustain working out fasted or fed eating this way.

If I get cold during the daily fast, I take 1 portion of bouillon or some other salt source and 10 squats ;)

Do what works for YOU. Experiment :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I dont eat breakfast, and I don't believe those people who say you have to....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If I eat breakfast (early or later in the morning) it turns a signal on in my brain that I must eat and keep eating. By lunch I think I am starving. But if I just drink some water or coffee, my brains signals do not do anything regarding food.

Really strange how this works.. but I had to learn to balance this because I could start shoving down food early and not stop until after dinner..

I do a small breakfast and stop until lunch now and only around 300 calories each meal. It was and still is a work in progress plus exercising more put a different perspective on how I eat and when I eat now..

Edited to add: IF really does help as well. I actually workout fasted around 10:30 and start eating at 11:30 and stop 5:00 p.m. - big difference.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

False.
  • msullivan1979
    msullivan1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »
    I've always had issues with breakfast. Regardless of macro structure, if I eat breakfast, I'm always super-hungry the rest of the day. If I skip breakfast, my appetite is on a much more even keel for the remainder of the day. It's been like this since I was a child, so I just go with it. And for reference, my day starts at 3:00 AM with a cup of coffee, with lunch (my first meal of the day) at 1:00 PM and dinner around 6:00 PM. Weekends are a bit different, but this is a typical Mon-Fri cycle for me. Experiment with your meal frequency and times, that's really the only way you'll be able to find what works for you.

I am the same way. I start at 3 AM with coffee only. I each lunch around noon and it is still a really small meal. I eat 75% of my daily calories after 5PM. If I start my day with breakfast (weekends usually) I will be eating all day and find it hard to stay within my daily limits. I just do extra exercise on the weekends to make up for it or go a little over. Lost 50 lbs so far so I guess its working for me.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Well... it is important to break your fast at some point. When you do is up to you
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    Well... it is important to break your fast at some point. When you do is up to you

Ha, best answer.
  • languageSteph
    languageSteph Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is the milk in a cappuchino enough to break a fast, or does it need to be solid food? I wont be having one every day but wont have it at all at the beg is it does, will wait til later in day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Is the milk in a cappuchino enough to break a fast, or does it need to be solid food? I wont be having one every day but wont have it at all at the beg is it does, will wait til later in day.

There is no actual answer to that question. Try it and see what works for you.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

It doesn't turn my appetite on if that's what you're getting at. I know it's preferable not to do it, but I can't bear my tea without something in it. I do need caffeine earlier than I eat, so I drink two cups well before that point.

• MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This is a personal preference kind of thing. I only eat two meals a day, at 4pm and 9pm (I keep weird hours, waking up at 930am, and I work 11-730pm) I don't usually have issues where I'm extremely hungry in the morning, but if I do get hungry I'll eat a small snack around 2pm just to tide me over until lunch.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I could use some more clean eating, motivated partnerz too:)
    Ive got some tasty Recipes and I am diligently working on eating clean! Feel free to friend me!
  • Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I changed the way I think. You never really skip breakfast you just bump it up. Breakfast- when you break your fast.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »
    I've always had issues with breakfast. Regardless of macro structure, if I eat breakfast, I'm always super-hungry the rest of the day. If I skip breakfast, my appetite is on a much more even keel for the remainder of the day. It's been like this since I was a child, so I just go with it. And for reference, my day starts at 3:00 AM with a cup of coffee, with lunch (my first meal of the day) at 1:00 PM and dinner around 6:00 PM. Weekends are a bit different, but this is a typical Mon-Fri cycle for me. Experiment with your meal frequency and times, that's really the only way you'll be able to find what works for you.

I am the same way. I start at 3 AM with coffee only. I each lunch around noon and it is still a really small meal. I eat 75% of my daily calories after 5PM. If I start my day with breakfast (weekends usually) I will be eating all day and find it hard to stay within my daily limits. I just do extra exercise on the weekends to make up for it or go a little over. Lost 50 lbs so far so I guess its working for me.

Your weekends sound just like mine. The hubs likes to go to breakfast on the weekends, so I know I'll be struggling those days.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I share your pain with Hasimotos! It is stupid and not very understood. I do eat breakfast, but I have to wait a full hour after taking my synthroid meds which sucks. I normally try to balance a protein, carb and fat to feel happily full. For example, today I had half a toasted mini bagel with natural peanut butter and a medium scrambled egg for breakfast. Also, I make sure to drink 8 oz of water with my meds, and another glass while I make my food to feel hydrated. However, I find that if I get a good combo going it really fuels my workouts.