breakfast or skip

Options
I have always been torn on this one. No matter what I eat for breakfast, I am hungry early for lunch-its almost like it doesnt register in my body. Even with loq carb breakfasts like eggs, veg n lentils. Funny thing is that when I just have water I am fine. I have Hashimotos, so talking abt eating breakfast to get ur metabolism going is pointless cause mine is lost in the woods somewhere. Saw a post in the forums where they said they fast 11pm to 11am daily, that sounds good to me, is that healthy?

Replies

• languageSteph
    languageSteph Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I could use some more clean eating, motivated partnerz too:)
  • SanDiegoMG
    Options
    Some trainers have told me to skip. They follow this 8 to 16 rule, called intermittent fasting. Have all of your food intake for the day in an 8 hr period. If you get 8 hrs of sleep, eat your first meal 5 hrs after you wake up and have your last meal 3 hrs before you go to bed.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. If not, don't, and wait until you're hungry.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've always had issues with breakfast. Regardless of macro structure, if I eat breakfast, I'm always super-hungry the rest of the day. If I skip breakfast, my appetite is on a much more even keel for the remainder of the day. It's been like this since I was a child, so I just go with it. And for reference, my day starts at 3:00 AM with a cup of coffee, with lunch (my first meal of the day) at 1:00 PM and dinner around 6:00 PM. Weekends are a bit different, but this is a typical Mon-Fri cycle for me. Experiment with your meal frequency and times, that's really the only way you'll be able to find what works for you.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I rarely eat breakfast. Eating breakfast doesn't "get your metabolism going", that is a myth. Your metabolism is always going, or else you'd be dead. If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't. It's all about personal preference. It's not going to effect your weight loss or health.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's... it doesn't have any effect on anything other than not eating until an hour after you take your medication.

I'm like you, if I eat breakfast, it's like it flips a switch and turns on my appetite for the day. Once I started skipping it and eating later, it was much easier to control my appetite.

When I came onto MFP and read about Intermittent Fasting (what the poster upthread mentioned regarding the trainers and the 16/8 rule), I realized that I was already naturally doing that.

I now eat even LATER and in a smaller window of time, so I 18/6. Now of course, this is more than what you were asking!!

You can skip breakfast, it's fine.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast because it ends up making me feel sick to my stomach and/or starving. I generally don't eat until I've been up at least six hours or so. I really prefer it this way, but it is definitely not for everyone.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I eat "breakfast" about 10:00, lunch around 1:00, afternoon snack around 3:00 and dinner around 6:00. If I eat breakfast when I wake up, about 4:30, I am hungry again by 10:00 anyway. Seems like a waste to eat when I am not hungry, so I don't.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Completely personal preference. As long as you're able to meet your daily calorie and macro goals, timing and frequency of meals is immaterial.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If you don't like eating breakfast or you find that you get hungrier when you do, then skip eating it. You don't have to eat breakfast to lose weight. Many people say it "revs" up your metabolism, but that's a myth. Your metabolism is always going unless you're dead.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast. I work out in the morning and any amount of food makes me want to vomit, even if it was hours before. By the time I'm done it's around 10 to 11 am, so I just have lunch. Sometimes I do have a handful of almonds or nuts in between cardio and lifting if I go home.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast about 9:30 - 10:00am but I get up between 5 and 7 am
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I feel ill if I dont eat breakfast, kind of queasy/hungover feeling. So I eat breakfast every morning, however, my breakfasts are pretty light. Just a little something to settle my stomach and get me to lunch.

edited to add- I know many lifelong slim people who dont eat breakfast, ever. so I dont think the breakfast helps or hurts. Its just up to you as to what makes you feel your best.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I went a long time not eating breakfast (still had coffee) for the same reason: I was just as hungry around 11 whether I ate something at 7 or not. So I started skipping it in order to have more calories for lunch and dinner. I lost the bulk of my weight that way.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I tend to do better eating more calories later in the day. I have coffee, and then around 9am or so I have a spoonful of peanut butter. Then an hour later, I have my protein shake. Then a small lunch.

Personally, making breakfast more of a snack and a little later helps. I've also just skipped it. Find what works for you; meal timing doesn't matter.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat breakfast and work out, I feel light headed.

I find that if I eat breakfast at 6 and work out at 6:30 or so I'm not really hungry until 9 when I get to work, at which point I have yogurt. If I don't work out and eat breakfast at 8, I am still hungry at 9.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Considering I work twelve hours per day, and don't get home until nearly 8pm each night, I would be severely undereating if I didn't have breakfast because I don't have a lot of time to eat more than a couple of meals.

I generally end up pretty short of my calorie goal as it is now that I'm being mindful of my intake.

Really though, it is whatever works for you as long as you stay in a deficit. Remember, trainers are not nutritionists.
  • languageSteph
    languageSteph Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, this is awesome stuff. I used to skip it but then I had some health issues that led me to a nutritionist who had me eating every few hours. And I started to gain , no kidding right. The supps she rec were fab n I still take those but I had to step back and reeval a lot of things. Think I am going to do the skip breakfast thing again and see how it goes. I wonder what it is that makes some of us hungrier when we eat breakfast. This is all so fascinating ...when its not frustrating.
  • brielizabeth2013
    Options
    You need at least three meals a day. That's important. Whether you skip breakfast or not