What do you all do with sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Love spiralizing! I had never thought of a sweet potato when doing it though! Awesome idea, thanks :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I wrap 'em in foil and bake them until a fork pokes through easily. They can sit in the fridge for several days that way. When I want to use them, the skin slides off easily and I can just eat them mashed, put them in soup, turn them into a pasta sauce, whatever. Sweet potatoes are surprisingly good with red cabbage. Also, google 'sweet potato recipes' and you'll find lots of ideas. Today, I googled 'barley sweet potato recipes' and found lots of suggestions so tonight we're having chicken/barley/sweet potato soup.

Sounds great.. Would you mind sharing? ;)

I was thinking they might be good with a stir fry? I have some chicken, mushrooms, onion and peppers and perhaps some cubed sweet potatoes would add a nice touch? But how do I fix the sweet potato before I toss it in the stir fry? Bake it or?

Will it fully cook while I stir fry it? Or do I need to pre-cook with another method first?
    Thanks for any input...
  • leeleehayes88
    leeleehayes88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato chips with a sprinkle of paprika delish!
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There are 2 main things I love to do with them. One is shred them and make fritters with them. You can add other veggies to the fritters if you like or do just sweet potatoes. ll you need is 2 cups sweet potatoes, 1 egg, 1/4 cup flour and season to taste. Fry in a little oil. It usually makes 5 quarter cup size fritters.

The other thing I love to do is make a veggie breakfast hash. I take and chop them into tiny squares along with zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash and pan fry them. I usually add the sweet potato first and get it pretty well done before adding the squashes, they cook a lot faster and will turn to mush. I also like to scramble a few eggs into it too. You can toss in diced ham, or bacon, sausage, and quinoa. All kinds of good stuff.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sweet Potato mash with Leeks and red onion. Just had that this afternoon. I like the ideas above as well thanks all.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    pressure cook them whole, then slice them directly into a red hot skillet for couple seconds on each side to get dat surface browned sear. salt n paprika on top.
    yams? more like YUMS amirite
  • themuddles
    themuddles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't done them in at least a year, but I've made sweet potato black bean burgers that are uh-mazing. Recipe here.

Other than that, just baked or made into sweet potato fries are my favorite ways. Love 'em.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just bake it and add a little butter.
  • dblutes
    dblutes Posts: 1
    Options
    My wife makes this delicious and filling soup with sweet potatoes called lovely lentil soup by Dr Natasha Turner ; http://drnatashaturner.com/lovely-lentil-soup-serves-4/ . Easy to make, under 350 calories per serving, flavourful and filling (also freezes well... Per wifey ;) )
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Am not very adventurous....I just bake in the oven with the skin on for about 75min till its all soft & smooshy inside, then scoop it out of the skin & inhale it down.
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I make a great sweet potato ice cream!! It isn't a light recipe so i don't make it often at all
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    The glycemic index of sweet potatoes doubles if you bake or roast them so, if you're diabetic, you should be aware of that. If you boil it with the skin on, GI is 43. Roast it or bake it, it jumps to 94. Anything with a GI of more than 55 is going to create a spike in blood sugar so keep the GI in mind when you prepare sweet potatoes.

Wow! Good to know...I bet a lot of ppl don't know that, glad you shared :)

@marcyfisher1 Why is that that it changes the GI factor that much? TIA
  • insideoutgirl
    insideoutgirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like to eat half a baked or microwaved sweet potato with dinner, then eat the other half mashed with toasted coconut and pecans and a little milk and a pinch of salt for dessert. Yum!!!
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I find the broil setting for my oven is good for potatoes too. I cook them that way, with some salt and butter. I also saw a recipe for sweet potato soup in a recent blog post
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I make sweet potatoes fries a lot...or just bake a bunch and eat one for lunch everyday...so yummy.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    The paleo hash I did with sweet potatoes was pretty tasty, otherwise I'm not a big fan.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    JCM1969 wrote: »
    Skinnytaste Sweet potato hash with chicken and eggs... She has some awesome sweet potato recipes

Yes! I made her Vegetarian Loaded Baked Potatoes *and* the Sweet Potato Mexican Casserole over the weekend. Both were amazing!
  • photosarah
    photosarah Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I add them to tagines!
  • djswingler
    djswingler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made fries, but a lot of work.I found out that Costco has them in the freezer dept., and they are really great. I normally make them into mashed potatoes, and they are really good.