Let's talk macros!

2»

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Can anyone helpe figure out what my macros should be? And if I should even use that method? I need to get rid of that stubborn fat. So I'm doing hiit, steady state cardio, and lifting. I'm really unsure of my diet in general.

I personally wouldn't jump on a low carb diet with your level of activity. Maybe pick a split and see how it works for you? Depending on your deficit, start with about 1g protein per pound and split your carbs and fat with the rest of your calories. Try it out and see how your performance and weight loss goes for a few weeks.
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    120g of protein in real food is not that hard. You can do it! Some suggestions!

3oz of beef= 31g of Protein
    6oz of salmon=44g of protein
    6oz of chicken=32g of protein
    5 oz of pork loin = about 35g of protein
    1 cup of edamame beans= 29g of protein
    1 egg = 6g of protein
    nuts and seeds= about 9g of protein per oz
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Currently, about 45% carbs, 25% protein, 30% fat - but like many others I sort of "backed into" those percentages by starting with what I wanted to hit in terms of protein and fat grams per day.

• erinelizabeth882
    erinelizabeth882 Posts: 102 Member
    edited March 2015
    Moved question to new post
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Protein normally somewhere between 1g/lb of lean mass and 1g/lb of bodyweight. (139 - 164g)
    Fat 0.4g/lb of body weight as a minimum. (65g)
    Carbs fall wherever they fall to hit calorie goal for the day.

When cycling a long distance carbs become more important, 30 - 60g per hour of cycling depending on intensity and duration. (Could be 400 - 700g for the day)
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    My nutritionist suggested I shoot for about 20g of protein per meal (70-80g per day) + protein snack so I readjusted my % to 20% carb, 35% protein, 45 fat - don't know if this is right as I just changed it today...will see how it works and would welcome any comments. (Am pre-diabetic and on metformin.)
  • BritDillinger
    BritDillinger Posts: 77
    edited March 2015
    kshubeck wrote: »
    How does everyone get in that much protein? I've been testing out the low carb concept for several months now and can't seem to get all the protein in, even when I incorporate low carb protein drinks. I still come up around 50-60% fat, 30% protein, and the rest carbs. If I were to do the .8 x bodyweight for protein, that would put me at 120g. I struggle to get to 100g, on a good day.

What are your macros?

Visit these forums to help:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains

Also, here's a calculator:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Set your activity to sedentary, your deficit to 20% and have your protein at .8g per pound. I have 85g protein a day with a body weight of 155lb.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    120g of protein in real food is not that hard. You can do it! Some suggestions!

3oz of beef= 31g of Protein
    6oz of salmon=44g of protein
    6oz of chicken=32g of protein
    5 oz of pork loin = about 35g of protein
    1 cup of edamame beans= 29g of protein
    1 egg = 6g of protein
    nuts and seeds= about 9g of protein per oz

Your numbers are a bit off, but we'll go with it...

Okay, so let's say I have 3 eggs for breakfast - 210 calories, 18 g protein; 6 oz chicken for lunch - 200 calories, 44 g protein; 2 oz pistachios during a snack - 300 calories, 12 g protein; 5 oz pork loin for dinner - 200 calories, 35 g protein; and somewhere else throw in 1 cup edamame beans - 190 calories, 17 g protein (not 29, sorry).

You got in 126 g protein from these sources. You also took in 1100 calories. If you're cutting and eating 1500ish calories, there isn't much room left for your carbs and fats. You'll just be eating meat, eggs, and nuts all day.

I get 20g protein from my daily Quest bar (which is "real food" by the way) and about 25g from my daily protein shake. The remaining 80 g come from meat, cheese, nuts, etc. There's nothing wrong with supplementing your protein intake with lower calorie sources of protein so you can meet your macros without eating 1100 calories only from protein sources.

If you choose not to use protein powders/bars, that's fine, but there's nothing wrong with using them. IIFYM. Plus, they're delicious - a chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bar pre-workout and a mint chocolate chip Cellucor shake post-workout is a lot tastier, more convenient, and easier to get down at 5AM than 6 oz salmon for the same amount of protein.
  • Christians_mom
    Christians_mom Posts: 12 Member
    I know this is a stupid question but I'm going ask anway. How do you calculate your lean body mass?
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    You have to know your % body fat, there are several ways to determine this, some more accurate then others