On losing weight AND quitting smoking

Options
PibblesRun
PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
Please tell me there are people out there who quit smoking in the midst of weight loss? Share your story with me...did you continue to lose as much as before or did it slow down?

Ive been putting off quitting for some time now...because of the weight gain part. But today I got scared...my chest was tight and I could barley breathe exercising...its happened before but today it was worse...so much so that I quit in the middle of exercising and said that's IT...broke my cigarettes and threw them out. I cant do it anymore. Of course now...im terrified ill gain weight! I know quitting is better for my health and I shouldn't worry about gaining...but I do worry about gaining because I want/need to lose weight! I think that's what had me fail every time I tried to quit before...the fear of gaining weight. If I didn't have that fear I don't think id have a huge problem quitting. I mean...I have the willpower to diet and bust my butt exercising so why couldn't I for smoking?

Any tips for me on how to successfully get through quitting and not gaining/ hopefully still losing weight? Thanks!

Replies

• olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congrats on making that heart healthy decision!! It takes a lot to realize where you are and make appropriate changes! :) Next, check in with a good doctor to make sure that you are as healthy as you can be before continuing to exercise....heavy!!! Once you do, have no fear.....cigs will not get in your way! Been there, done that!!! YOU CAN AND WILL DO IT TOO!! Also, google tips and you'll have plenty of great ideas!
  • PibblesRun
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I have my physical every year and things are good with my health. I have my annual physical scheduled for July...She didn't have anything sooner unfortunately.
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Gum, Nicorettes, celery, carrots, regular deep breaths when the urge hits. Try to avoid the triggers to smoke, and get out and just walk. Good luck on quitting, I had to practice that myself about 3 times before I got it right. It really is one of the hardest things I did, but I did it, for more than 12 years now. Don't worry about weight right now, it is less hazardous to your health than smoking, but don't just eat everything either.
  • PibblesRun
    Options
    That's the problem...I will worry about my weight if I gain. Which will derail my not smoking. Honestly, If I had to choose between losing weight or not smoking...id choose losing weight. I want to quit bad...but I want to lose weight worse.
  • hlpatton
    hlpatton Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I found quitting actually helped my weight loss go faster because I could BREATHE when exercising! Within a week you will be able to breathe better and exercising will get easier and who doesn't want that?!
  • katiejo2011
    katiejo2011 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. I was able to quit smoling over 2 years ago, but have not been able to stick with the weight loss. the only reason people gain is because they usually replace smoking with snacking (at least that is what i did), but just stock up on healthy snacks and so something like squats or some form of quick exercise when you want to smoke. That should help with not putting weight on while quitting.

My opinion, both losing weight and quitting smoking are hard and you may have to choose your battles. I chose to quit smoking first and now finally have chosen to lose weight. Hopefully i can pull it off. Good luck to you. You can do anything you set your mind to, but you have to want it enough.
  • LoudmouthLee
    LoudmouthLee Posts: 358
    Options
    I quit smoking on June 1st, 2012.
    I quit being fat on July 6th, 2012.

I have not picked up a cigarette since, while losing approximately 120 pounds. It's all about inner strength and making it through the first week or two.

Obsess over your food diary. Whenever you want a cigarette, drink water. Whenever you want to eat, drink water.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I am also quitting now. I have decided to do Burpiees(spelling?) every time I get a craving. 5 for the first craving and add 2 for everyone after that. I figure if anything I can keep weight gain at bay that way.

Good luck!
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to quit! That's tough work in itself. Quitting smoking wasn't too difficult for me but I did find myself eating instead of smoking. You just have to be really anal about what you're eating. Make sure you log and exercise! Just keep your eye on the prize! I don't have any great advice, you just need to have will power! Good luck, I hope you can do it :) OH and don't drink if you can help it. I always smoked while drinking!
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Being able to breath and work harder kept the additional weight loss away. You will find out quickly how much extra time not smoking gives you and new fun things to do with that time! If you smoke at work, make sure that you still take your breaks and sneak an extra 120 calorie burning walk in instead!
  • JillLangOliver
    JillLangOliver Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for a LOT of years. Me and my husband quit smoking together, year and half ago.

I discovered my lungs again! Because I was able to breathe better, I started exercising. Then watching my diet.

Since then, I have lost over 55 lbs. I'm at a good weight now but I'd like to lose about 8 more vanity lbs, since I've come this far.

You will be soooo glad to have the cigs behind you and in your past!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    i lost 104 over 16 months and smoked the whole way thru. i wanted to quit somewhere in there, but didnt want to take a chance. Im moving to E Cigs next week.
  • Allonsee
    Allonsee Posts: 4
    Options
    The weight gain part is VERY MUCH about putting stuff in your mouth without being attentive to it. If you are already in the habit of documenting everything you're eating then it will be easier to notice when you start to drift.

Plan now (and try out by delaying a smoke with your new plan). Also, have a sweat inducing workout in mind for when you need to deal with the anxiety of not smoking. Trade nictoine for endorphines!

Good luck (Monday will be six months with no nicotine for me - it is doable).
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have quit & quit again, this time for good (surgery scheduled...dr won't do the surgery on a smoker). reprogram yourself. write a new story....instead of saying i'm going to quit & gain weight.....say i'm going to quit & drop 10 and prove the world wrong....you write your own story/program. don't blame anything. recognize what your triggers are & reprogram yourself, avoid those triggers....i have had to turn down invites saying thank you, but that would be really hard for me i'm not ready for that yet.....i eat an apple every day for the car ride home ater work instead of that calm down smoke....things that are a habit can be relearned. instead of a smoke and a cup of coffee w/the paper on sunday mornings it's a walk or a chat on the phone....be aware of your triggers and reprogram, it can be done....good luck!
  • skruger22
    skruger22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yaaaaaaaaaay for quitting smoking!!! I did it, and actually kind of replaced smoking with running! It was a good thing to do to keep me busy and keep my mind off the addiction. I chewed a LOT of gum, and I had a LOT of support from friends who hated that I smoked- you can do it!! If you ever need encouragement, you can add me- I'm keeping my boyfriend accountable, too- everyone should quit smoking!!!
    Good luck- you can do it! Believe me, if I can do it- ANYONE can do it. It'll be hard- but it's do-able!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Gum, Nicorettes, celery, carrots, regular deep breaths when the urge hits. Try to avoid the triggers to smoke, and get out and just walk. Good luck on quitting, I had to practice that myself about 3 times before I got it right. It really is one of the hardest things I did, but I did it, for more than 12 years now. Don't worry about weight right now, it is less hazardous to your health than smoking, but don't just eat everything either.

not a smoker here, but i've battled other addictions. i think this is great advice ^. good luck to the OP! quitting smoking will be one of the best decisions you'll have ever made. exercise and just life will become easier without your lungs/heart being crowded with nicotine/tar.
  • ShelliePAwesome
    ShelliePAwesome Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I quit September 30, 2012 and have lost around 30 lbs since then. I have watched many of my family members quit, but they gained weight. They all substituted some sort of food for smokes. I did not want to do that so i tried to stay away from anything you chew..i.e. food, gum, mints, etc.

What worked for me was Listerine breath spray. Overwhelm your tastebuds by spraying 5-6-7 times. Then do deep breathing. Does this make the craving go away 100 percent? no!!! But realize you will always crave cigarettes, but each month, the cravings get less intense and less frequent.

Try to stay away from your triggers, that can be places or people. I had to excuse myself from being around friends that were still smoking. I would just jokingly say to them that I had to go because they smelled so good (like smoke). Now I can be around them for a longer period of time.

The first week will be so horrible, but this can work in your favor. Just remember how bad the first 24 hours or how bad the first week was and you will never want to experience that again, dont backslide. You can do this!

Another awesome side effect is I can run for as long as my muscles will let me...not my lungs!

Good luck! You can do this!
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    Cigarettes are addictive due to the nicotine. They also become a habit. It's the hand to mouth habit that leads people to eat more when they try to quit smoking. To help with the nicotine withdrawal you can use the patches. To help pacify the hand to mouth habit you can try to eat raw veggies such as broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc.

If you don't want to pacify your habit with food, and you don't want to use the patches, try vapors. You can have your nicotine and the hand to mouth habit all rolled into one. I'm not talking about E-cigs. The vapors have nice flavors and aromas and the amount of nicotine can be adjusted so if you really want to quit, you can have it gradually lowered. Hope this helps. Good luck!!
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and did not have issues continuing/ keeping my weight loss. I quit almost 2 and a half years ago after reading "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Alan Carr and I haven't had one since. He goes over the mental addiction and talks you out of it with out any nicotine suppliments or drugs... if you really want to quit, it really works! The other good thing about it is he talks about not replacing it with anything... including food or candy which I believe is the main reason people gain.
    Also, for reference, I smoked on and off (mostly on) for 16 years and at one point was up to over a pack a day. It feels nice to be a non-smoker and I managed to maintain my weight loss through a pregnancy as well!
    Good luck to you... quitting is worth it!
  • NEdblT
    NEdblT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, you can do this! It is the HARDEST habit to break, there is none absolutely NONE like it. Patches worked for me for approx. 6 months off and on over the years. February of this year I started the ECig with 16mg of nicotine. I only "vape" in the evenings and I am now down to 4mg.

THIS NOT TO STOP SMOKING. Nicotine is poison, literally! You just don't have all the extra chemicals that are in cigarettes. You are picking the better of 2 evils. I only say this is better because I can breathe again. I noticed my breathing lying in bed!! Inhaling nothing would be ideal. I am down to almost nothing now and don't crave cigs. With watching food and especially the exercise! I don't see myself ever picking one up again.

Believe me, I know. 35+ years, it's stop or die early and at 56 that's a scary thing.

Exercise whether a little or a lot (preferably ALOT like everyday) is the key. I did not think I could walk because of my knees. It has been hard and painful at times but I make myself do it everyday. It DOES make a big difference and as I lost weight it's gotten easier.

The Fitbit One is a great motivator. Community is great because you don't have to interact but "friends" will cheer you on, on the Fitbit site. I use MFP for logging food (very important) and it will also sync my exercise to/from my Fitbit Account on my PC also very important. MFP even has an App for my Windows phone! I can log and SCAN food on the go. It's awesome.

Hang in there you can do this. I'm just trying to get my health back and the exercise in the last 4 weeks has been critical. I've done other Diets such as NuSys and WW but find the interactive part of MFP and Fitbit One engaging. MFP has a huge database of foods and the Fitbit One is awesome in tracking activity. I'm not endorsing any of the products, especially "vaping", just telling my story. :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!