Is there any one on a 1000 calorie diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    I wonder how many guys here would find it weird if they went out on a first date and the woman pulled her own Ranch dressing out of her purse.
    I always assume people are holding back on first dates, trying to make an impression. If a date pulled ranch dressing out of his pocket I would assume that was only a small portion of the crazy and there would not be another date.
    I agree.

When we go out to dinner we sometimes do some crazy stuff but that's because we do it for fun and decide to do dumb things together. After almost 8 years it's a little different than on the first date.

arditarose wrote: »
    I wonder how many guys here would find it weird if they went out on a first date and the woman pulled her own Ranch dressing out of her purse.

One of my first dates was a whiskey and BBQ place in Brooklyn. Later the guy told me he took me there to make sure I drank and ate.

That's pretty interesting. Or so he says. Maybe he was trying to get you whiskeyed up! :D

Yeah, cause you know what happens when you fill me up with protein and whiskey...wait
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

One of my first dates was a whiskey and BBQ place in Brooklyn. Later the guy told me he took me there to make sure I drank and ate.

I hope you told him to sling his hook ...what an *kitten*!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I always assume people are holding back on first dates, trying to make an impression. If a date pulled ranch dressing out of his pocket I would assume that was only a small portion of the crazy and there would not be another date.
    I agree.

When we go out to dinner we sometimes do some crazy stuff but that's because we do it for fun and decide to do dumb things together. After almost 8 years it's a little different than on the first date.

That's pretty interesting. Or so he says. Maybe he was trying to get you whiskeyed up! :D

Yeah, cause you know what happens when you fill me up with protein and whiskey...wait

Hey now!!!
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I hope you told him to sling his hook ...what an *kitten*!

I don't know, it kind of sounds to me that she liked that he did that.

He was mostly teasing. But he was a cheese monger and food was important to him. I was young. He was decadent. It didn't work out but it was fun for a few months. Also I really like whiskey and BBQ too so...it was a good date in my book.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    All these people on extremely low calories make me sad

+1
  • DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can fill up on a big meal of veggies too but the 'stuffed' feeling goes away pretty fast and I'm hungry again sooner rather than later. When I was younger I could eat stupid low calories but now I know better.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    All these people on extremely low calories make me sad

+1

+2

The winner isn't the one who can starve themselves the most. It's the one who can eat the most and STILL lose weight
  • kimberlynicole79
    kimberlynicole79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    2013versa wrote: »
    My Dr put me on a 1000 calorie diet but so far I am tired of eating the same old food off of the meal sheet she gave me.Do anybody else have any other good ideas on other foods to eat.

Ive heard of very low calorie diets and there were studies supporting it but I cant remember the details other than there is a whole community that follows this for longevity of life. Im going to look it up and see hat I can find. I think we looked into it during my undergrad.
  • kimberlynicole79
    edited March 2015
    Options
    here is one link
    http://www.win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/low_calorie.htm

with you eating a 1,000 calories it is termed Low Calorie Diet not Very Low Calorie Diet
  • kimberlynicole79
    Options
    2013versa wrote: »
    Kristen6350 because of my health and weight problem I was on a 2000 calorie diet with my old Dr but my ew dr change it to a 1000 calorie diet

Are you just eating real food or does he have you on meal replacements as well?
  • n8inaz
    n8inaz Posts: 1
    Options
    Check out Medifast....I have no affiliation with Medifast so this is not a sales pitch. I've only used their products for one week and have lost nearly 10 lbs. in one week. First few days are hard as you break the carb and sugar addiction most people have, but after that you will enter into ketosis and your hunger pains will go away as long as you eat every 2-3 hours. You eat 5 Medifast meals per day (@100 calories per meal) and then you eat one lean and green meal that you make on your own, which totals to around 400-500 calories depending on what you make.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    My grandmother used to keep boxes of Ayds candies in the house. It was awesome. Trip to grandma's = weird diet candy feast on the sly.

My grandmother kept cannoli in the kitchen and M&M's in the candy dish.

But yours sounds good too! ;)

Oh, she had better stuff, too. But there was something delightfully sinful about sneaking her weird diet candy.

On the other things: she knew we grandkids liked *good* breakfast cereal. So she stocked up on Cap'n Crunch Crunchberries, Frosted Flakes, Sugar Smacks, Apple Jacks, etc. (a nice vacation from Cheerios, Cornflakes, Wheaties).

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My grandmother used to keep boxes of Ayds candies in the house. It was awesome. Trip to grandma's = weird diet candy feast on the sly.

My grandmother kept cannoli in the kitchen and M&M's in the candy dish.

But yours sounds good too! ;)

Oh, she had better stuff, too. But there was something delightfully sinful about sneaking her weird diet candy.

On the other things: she knew we grandkids liked *good* breakfast cereal. So she stocked up on Cap'n Crunch Crunchberries, Frosted Flakes, Sugar Smacks, Apple Jacks, etc. (a nice vacation from Cheerios, Cornflakes, Wheaties).

Oh my God....I don't remember the last time I had those. All time favorite breakfast cereal.

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Yupp I am, by choice. Honestly it's not that bad, I usually have oatmeal with fruit for breakfast. Then for lunch I'll make a turkey and avocado and tomato sandwhich with hummus on whole grain bread and a small dinner of quinoa with some protein like sausage or chicken and vegetables mixed in

Umm, wut? At 21?

That sounds like more than 1000 calories, more like 1200 if not more.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    PEOPLE, STOP STARVING YOURSELVES.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Another vote for running your stats into a calculator for an alternate caloric suggestion.

Is your doctor a bit old? I know "1000 a day" was the old calorie-counting diet standard in the 60s and 70s, back when women were advised to take appetite suppressants (Dexatrim or Ayds diet candy, and no, I am not making that up) and smoke more Virginia Slims while eating utterly depressing food and manually adding up the calorie counts you could get in sad little newsprint booklets that they sold at the supermarket checkout.

Thus creating the fad diet industry of bizarre machinations (like eliminating whole food groups or eating massive amounts of a single food like grapefruit or cabbage) and touting "no counting calories!!!!" as a selling point.

This sounds like Betty Draper from Mad Men!

DON'T JUDGE MY ADVANCED AGE!
    Oh god, I remember all those things. My mother was on a constant diet during the 70s and always had handy her little calorie booklet.

Mine too, 70s and 80s. I don't think she ever used the booklet, but I found it very interesting. I couldn't have done a diet where I actually counted calories without an app like this, though--and like I said, I'm reasonably sure she didn't either. She just had her "diet" ways of eating.

(She also had the Beverly Hills Diet book, with the pineapple on the cover, and a bunch of others which I don't think she ever actually did. I found those fascinating too.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you don't have any specific medical condition requiring you to eat that few calories then you need another opinion.

I'm in agreement with this, or at least going back to your doctor and asking for clarification as to why the low calorie number and perhaps a referral to a registered dietician.
  • lesliereloaded
    lesliereloaded Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'9 and eat 1000 calories to lose 1 pound a week. I guess it depends how tall you are?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I went on a date not long after starting here. Somehow the topic of food and 'healthy eating' came up, and the guy (knowing I was an archaeologist but obviously being completely clueless) told me how he was trying to get more into 'eating paleo'. Needless to say there was no second date, but he did get a very long lecture on the evolution of the human diet (and was still trying to disagree with me at the end - 'but, but, but...!'). My FB friends (several of whom are also archaeologists) got a good laugh out of my tale of woe, and the FB conversation also spawned my profile tag line, so I guess some good can come out of bad dates!