Personal Trainer available for free advice

Replies

• madmaddox719
    madmaddox719 Posts: 84 Member
    19 year old female weighing 51kg, 5ft in height and small build.
    I've recently started weights training and have switched to a low sugar and lower fat diet. I train 3-5 times a week doing arms, legs, chest and back.
    My main concern is What should my macros look like? And if I'm training to lose fat and build muscle what should my calories be? Should I be eating maintenance?
    Thankyou for the help!!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member

another thing , the shredded abs on those fitness models only last for the day pf the photoshoot, you can be at around 9-14% body fat and still have visible great abs that are easy to maintain. trying to maintain 6-8% body fat year round is unhealthy and very hard unless your making money of it i.e being a fitness model

not to mention, usually in-door photoshoots are highly enhanced with lighting
  • FMPT1
    FMPT1 Posts: 42 Member
    Hi

I am 38yo, weigh 126kg (have lost 41.4kg in the last year) but I want to start some strength training. Problem is I have Fibromyalgia and Vertigo which stops me from being able to do this in a gym situation. Can you please give me some ideas that I could do from home? I am limited in floor exercises like push ups due to a longstanding shoulder issue.

Thanks heaps

Kaz

Well done on your weight loss!!

The more gentle the exercise, the better it will likely be for you. Frequently recommended exercises for people with your condition include:

Warm-water exercise
    Yoga
    Tai Chi
    Pilates

Other low-impact exercises include:

Bicycling
    Walking
    Step aerobics (once you're in fairly good shape)

You could try some resistant bands exercises, or even buy a set of adjustable Dumbbells and do weight training at home. If you Google Dumbbell exercise home workouts you will be able to find hundreds of exercises and then chose the ones you can perform at your current level and that do not put you in any danger of injury. This is just a suggestion and I am not qualified to train people with your condition I am afraid.

I would advice you to seek the advice of a professional who is qualified in your condition and can design a workout plan for you. These exercises need to be planned as part of a personalized exercise program; if they aren't, muscle stiffness and soreness could be made worse.

Remember, the key is to start slowly, watch your symptoms carefully, and find the level of exertion that's right for you right now.

Keep the following in mind:

Push yourself to get moving, but don't push yourself to do more until you know you're ready.
    Expect some setbacks: you'll need to experiment to find your current level of tolerance.

Take breaks when you need them, but don't give up! The payoff could be less pain, more energy and a better quality of life.
  • FMPT1
    I've recently started weights training and have switched to a low sugar and lower fat diet. I train 3-5 times a week doing arms, legs, chest and back.
    My main concern is What should my macros look like? And if I'm training to lose fat and build muscle what should my calories be? Should I be eating maintenance?
    Thankyou for the help!!

Hi unfortunately you cannot build muscle and lose fat at the same time, you can get your muscles more "toned" while you get leaner. But you cannot build bigger muscles while trying to lose fat. To build muscle you need to be in a caloric surplus and to lose fat you need to be in a caloric deficit. Having said that because you have just started there will a initial period were your body will do both for a couple of months. I like 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fats. bare in mind that women burn a greater ratio of fat to carbs than men. This may be one of the reasons women do well on lower carb diets. so you might want to try 40% pro 40% carb 20% fats.

At your current activity level you need up to 2000 calories to maintain your weight, so I would advice you to start consuming less than that. Start at 1700 for a couple of weeks and see if you lost any weight or if you are looking different. Experiment with your diet but don't go lower than 1400. You do not want to be losing more than 1-2 pounds per week. Once you go down to a body fat level were you have some definition then you can go back to maintenance(which will be different after you lost weight) and see how your body is responding to the increase of calories. Dieting is a very individual thing, you have to spent time experimenting with it.

Hope this helps , good luck on your journey

Alexis
  • Hi, I'm having trouble with my over head shoulder press and bench press. I can squat 95kg and deadlift 115kg, I weigh 60 kg, and I'm really happy with these lifts. But I can only bench press 40 kg and shoulder press 20kg also with the shoulder press i find it very difficult to lock out my elbows to engage my triceps and find my back arching which makes the shoulder press more awkward. Any tips would be greatly appreciated
  • FMPT1
    I would recommenced that you start training a bit lighter on the ones you have problems with. Really focus on form. Start with muscle endurance 12-15 reps. Perfect form short recovery.

Hope this helps

Alexis
  • madmaddox719
    madmaddox719 Posts: 84 Member
    Thankyou for the help!!

Hi unfortunately you cannot build muscle and lose fat at the same time, you can get your muscles more "toned" while you get leaner. But you cannot build bigger muscles while trying to lose fat. To build muscle you need to be in a caloric surplus and to lose fat you need to be in a caloric deficit. Having said that because you have just started there will a initial period were your body will do both for a couple of months. I like 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fats. bare in mind that women burn a greater ratio of fat to carbs than men. This may be one of the reasons women do well on lower carb diets. so you might want to try 40% pro 40% carb 20% fats.

At your current activity level you need up to 2000 calories to maintain your weight, so I would advice you to start consuming less than that. Start at 1700 for a couple of weeks and see if you lost any weight or if you are looking different. Experiment with your diet but don't go lower than 1400. You do not want to be losing more than 1-2 pounds per week. Once you go down to a body fat level were you have some definition then you can go back to maintenance(which will be different after you lost weight) and see how your body is responding to the increase of calories. Dieting is a very individual thing, you have to spent time experimenting with it.

Alexis
    This is great! Thankyou very much!
    Would you advise I build some muscle before losing fat or should I start on the fat loss before building my muscles?
  • FMPT1
    Thankyou for the help!!

Alexis
    This is great! Thankyou very much!
    Would you advise I build some muscle before losing fat or should I start on the fat loss before building my muscles?

Lose fat first, because while trying to build muscle you will accumulate some fat as well so it is good to start lean so you can control your fat gains.
  • tbcn601
    tbcn601 Posts: 2 Member
    hello Alexis and thank you for being here. I've been at this weight loss challenge of mine for 5 weeks, lost 8lbs. I feel the difference and I can see my goal of losing 30 more. 171lbs currently at 5'6". My doc said I can get off the blood pressure meds if I lose weight and that seems easy enough to remedy.
    However I'm not clear on what a good Cardio and strength building plan looks like. I'm 52, osteoarthritis mostly affecting my knees so I don't jog. I need to strengthen my legs and start doing something to strengthen and tone my very weak arms. Thank You!
    I appreciate your time!
  • FMPT1
    tbcn601 wrote: »
    hello Alexis and thank you for being here. I've been at this weight loss challenge of mine for 5 weeks, lost 8lbs. I feel the difference and I can see my goal of losing 30 more. 171lbs currently at 5'6". My doc said I can get off the blood pressure meds if I lose weight and that seems easy enough to remedy.
    However I'm not clear on what a good Cardio and strength building plan looks like. I'm 52, osteoarthritis mostly affecting my knees so I don't jog. I need to strengthen my legs and start doing something to strengthen and tone my very weak arms. Thank You!
    I appreciate your time!
    tbcn601 wrote: »
    I appreciate your time!

Initially you can start with 3-4 times a week of 30 minutes of cardio, can you cycle? maybe on a stationery bike? If not maybe try using an ergometer if your gym has it. It will be tough to strengthen legs when you have knee problems so you have to be careful not to injure yourself. You can try back lunges for your quads and straight legged dead lifts for your hamstrings. Do invest sometime learning how to do this exercises with dumbbells and start slow and light and please consult your physician before starting any weightlifting program. For arms there are many exercises you could do, like bicep curls and tricep kick backs. You can do this at home with a cheap set of adjustable dumbbells.

You can work your whole body 2-3 times a week allowing 48 hours between workouts

Mon , wed, fri 30 minutes of cardio

Tue , fri , full body workout 1 exercise per muscle group for 3 sets of 12-15 repetitions.
    legs, back, chest, shoulders, biceps and triceps.

you can even try to do some push ups against a wall if you cant do them on the floor.

Just google home workouts and you will get many results that will give you an idea of what you could do at home with a pair of dumbbells or just your bodyweight. Just be cautious with your knees.

http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/exercises-to-beat-oa-pain#1

This is a good article that will give you some ideas

Hope this helps
    A
  • sandrableizeffer
    sandrableizeffer Posts: 11 Member
    I am a 46 year old woman next month I started feb 15 at 134 lb I fluctuate now around 127 - 128. I am trying to get down to 122.y measuremrs have not changed in a week. I went to Popeyes supplement store and was told I was not getting enough protein so I now try to get 110 g a day. I do strength training on my bowflex 3 days a week. Chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders the opposite days I do cardio. Usually the elliptical or a Jillian michael dvd for 30 minutes. Is there any advise you can give me to help? I am doing a 1200 calorie intake per day. I do eat back some of my cardio but I only give myself a 58 calorie burn on strength training days. If needed my diary is open to view
  • FMPT1
    Definitely add some leg exercises in there, legs burn the most calories. Your calories are quite low at the moment do not drop them any lower. I had a look at your diary, you tend to zig zag a bit with your intake, some days you are under1220 other days close to 1500. I suggest to become very consistent . So pick a number i.e 1300 per day for a good two weeks and see if you lost any weight. By doing this you will know for sure if your caloric intake is at a deficit. When you go up down all the time you cannot get a good idea of what is happening due to water retention and that your body is never in a true fatloss mode.

I hope this helps, be patient, consistent with your diet and workout and you will achieve your goal

Alexis
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    paradi3s wrote: »
    I'm 18, 5'4 and 108 lbs. Currently maintaining at 1,750 (sedentary lifestyle). Been a long time since I worked out but want to do so again to tone my body. What I want to do is to start lifting 3x a week (45mins), along with bodyweight training & cardio 3x a week (45 mins each). During the times I work out, I plan to eat 2,250 cals a day and 1,800 during rest days, which is almost 14k cals a week. My question is if this is okay to do and if I'll gain weight from it? I just aim to maintain, and basically "recomp". Thank you! :-)

How do you eat that many calories and only weigh 108#? That's amazing to me. You must have an awesome metabolism!
  • tretoptreece
    tretoptreece Posts: 425 Member
    Hi! How can one really get their arms toned so the bingo wings go? I've worked them out for a year before and didn't seem to see much results. Was doing free weights as well as circuit training. Thanks! ( a female who hates her bi's and tri's )
  • FMPT1
    paradi3s wrote: »
    I'm 18, 5'4 and 108 lbs. Currently maintaining at 1,750 (sedentary lifestyle). Been a long time since I worked out but want to do so again to tone my body. What I want to do is to start lifting 3x a week (45mins), along with bodyweight training & cardio 3x a week (45 mins each). During the times I work out, I plan to eat 2,250 cals a day and 1,800 during rest days, which is almost 14k cals a week. My question is if this is okay to do and if I'll gain weight from it? I just aim to maintain, and basically "recomp". Thank you! :-)

How do you eat that many calories and only weigh 108#? That's amazing to me. You must have an awesome metabolism!

that is a very good starting point try eating 2000 as that's when your body is recovering, track your calories consistently and take pictures so you can make comparisons. I reckon as it has been mentioned by someone else that your metabolism is high and you will probably need a bit more calories to build a muscle and gain good weight but I would suggest that you experiment with your surplus and see how you feel and how your body is responding. Your starting point is great .All the best
  • FMPT1
    Hi! How can one really get their arms toned so the bingo wings go? I've worked them out for a year before and didn't seem to see much results. Was doing free weights as well as circuit training. Thanks! ( a female who hates her bi's and tri's )

Hi I am guessing you have to reduce your bodyfat my dear through exercise and diet, try and eat at a deficit of no more than 300-500 calories everyday.
  • Mummatobe24
    Mummatobe24 Posts: 27 Member
    Hello,

I have just completed T25 program but since signing up to a 5k have been training for that. As I have a lot of weight to lose what do you think will be better for me doing Insanity or carrying on running? I am 25, 5 foot 6 and 198 pounds looking to get down to 154 and then re-evaluate. I was eating at 1400 calories but since starting running I am finding myself so much hungrier and unsure of what my calorie goal to be.

Thanks

Alex
  • James1935
    James1935 Posts: 37 Member
    Hi..thanks in advance. I am a 53 yr old female, weight 157 height 5'2.5". I work out on elliptical and Jillian Michaels for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs every day and have my MFP allocate me 1200 calories a day....I eat back half my exercise calories...300 to 400 for net of 1500 to 1600 per day. I have been doing this since Jan 1st and only down 6 lbs in total....last month I have not lost any weight or inches....any suggestions?
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Hi and thank you for this free advice.

I am 57, 4 ft 11in and have lost over 70lb in the last three years (I am taking the scenic route). I decided that now that eating healthily (well, certainly more healthily that I was doing) is part of my life, I would now like to get more active.

I have started using the wii-fit, have been doing that for three months now and am seeing a real improvement. I mainly do step and a 10 minute jog on the spot. I recently started adding leg and tricep extensions, and this has brought to mind my balance issues. I did have a bike but gave that up because I kept falling off it. My knees are very weak and give me a fair amount of pain, so I would like to improve that.

I just bought a fitbit flex and am now upping the amount of walking I do,. I used not to walk anywhere and 8500 steps was a huge increase, but I am now managing 10000 most days (though today I will manage 3000 because I have a cold and feel rubbish.

Is there anything else you would suggest? My time is very limited. I want to be fit enough to walk up hills and stairs, to perhaps be able to start running on the beach too, but I don't enjoy gyms at all.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Hi--seriously, where does one start with weight training?