Goodbye, Cheddar Cheese

Options
2»

Replies

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    She looks like something that should be in a horror movie.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Dear Cheddar,

First of all, you should know, it's not you - it's me. But I'm fairly certain today is the day we have to break up. When I log just a few ounces of you into MFP, I see your sodium content, I notice that I kick into a craving, and I watch my day's calories quickly add up for very little satiety.

I just can't do this anymore, except in extreme moderation. No more can I have you sitting on my fridge shelf, asking me if I have any lonely tortillas around the house that might need your touch.

I hope you find some nice nachos to hang out with.

Jeez, cheese is so good for you, too. Sodium really isn't a big deal unless you have some kind of health issue that is causing you to follow a low-sodium diet. many other foods have much more sodium than cheese. And it has protein, and it's tasty. You 'kick into a craving'? Don't just eat cheese by itself, use its lovely flavor to enhance other things. Moderation, remember?
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yeah, well, I bought 9 ounces and I ate 8 of them in just 10 days! That seems unbalanced to me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Yeah, well, I bought 9 ounces and I ate 8 of them in just 10 days! That seems unbalanced to me.
    Really, ok then, yes you should try and stay away from eating things you like in moderation. :)

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

....if I buy a whole piece, I end up justifying it right onto my thighs...

There are some foods I have a hard time eating in moderation also. And I'm totally stealing this phrase when I talk about them, because it cracked me up :D
  • CaliforniaRower
    Options
    @CaffeinatedConfectionist, it's all yours! B)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. I'm a colby cheese sort of gal, but I looked up cheddar cheese and a 25g serve had hardly any sodium? Are you munching half the block down in one go?
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Cheddar cheese is like 100 cals/oz., which would translate to 80cals/day over a 10 day period.

That isn't too bad.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Its not the sodium in sodium-rich foods that harm you, if not got you where you are today, if sodium is a focal point. Lets just make that clear.

Pound for pound, cheese is one of the best things I can eat. I have the stomach for it and it doesnt irregulate me. Some times, I will just cut off about 4-6 ounces and eat it as a snack.

I am sorry you feel you need to give it up. If it is one of your boons that help contribute to your lack of control, then more power to you for giving it up. Everyone has those foods.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I don't get it. I'm a colby cheese sort of gal, but I looked up cheddar cheese and a 25g serve had hardly any sodium? Are you munching half the block down in one go?

Colby jack.....my favorite.....mmmmmhhh gllglglggglglllgl...
  • RockstarWilson
    Options

I just ate 2.1 ounces in one meal, with more on tap for tonight. You are eating ONE serving a day. So if you eat ONE apple a day for 8 days, is that unbalanced?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    hmmm, I have a couple of kilos of different cheeses in my fridge. A very important part of my maintenance plan. Some days I have none and get my fats from avocados & nuts, and other days I eat 150 grams. Sodium I don't worry about.

Your problem might be the combination with tortillas and natchos... fwiw.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this makes no sense…

so you ate an ounce of cheese a day and now are giving it up, because "unbalanced"?

was cheese putting you over on calories for the day?
    were you not hitting your macro/micro targets?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    1/2 head of cauliflower (about 70 cal.), 2 cups of chicken broth (about 40 cal.) + 3 oz. of sharp cheddar (about 330 cal.) makes 2 dinner-sized servings of a creamy cheese soup for all of 220 cal. each. I ain't givin' up my cheddar for nobody!
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Gah! Are you talking about real Cheddar cheese (from The Cheddar Gorge in England and surrounding West Country counties) or the crappy imitations made around the world and sold under the name? It annoys me that Cheddar doesn't have a PDO. The real thing is amazing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how much further it goes when I grate it! I 25g piece is a couple of bites, but 25g shredded I can pick at for half an episode of TV. Doesn't work so well with pre-shredded as it's thicker.
  • CaliforniaRower
    Options
    I didn't think my playful post would attract so many comments, especially so many in defense of cheese! Ha ha! The kind I buy DOES seem very calorie dense, and so is peanut butter. But I can easily moderate my peanut butter intake to 2 T per serving. Whereas cheddar cheese beckons to me. It whispers my name from behind the refrigerator door, saying, "I think you have some tortillas, don't you? And some salsa. Mmhmmm. Come 'n get it, baby!"

It's a personal thing, obviously. And it's the only cheese that does that. I have low fat Swiss in my fridge right now. No idea why it's true, it just is. I'm sure we all have things that are hard to resist. I'm not condemning anyone who eats Cheddar! I'm just playing around and saying that for me, I will need to be careful about bringing it home - as in not until I reach my goal.