Can I lose weight eating 1,115 calories a day?

Options
13»

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yes you would lose weight on 1115 calories a day (that's so specific!). But it's probably not sustainable.
  • ReignOerMe
    ReignOerMe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Will my fitness pal will cacualate how much cals im getting from carbs.

It will tell you how many grams of carbs you are eating. To find out the calories, you would multiply that by 4. So, earlier you said you were eating 209 grams of carbs. 209 X 4=836. But most people just focus on the grams, which is what this app keeps track of. Eating too many carbs will not stall weight loss as long as you aren't going over your calorie goal. You should still try to incorporate fat and protein for health and satiety.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    You're 5'6, 20 and want to lose 28 pounds. How much do you currently weigh? What did MFP say when you entered your information in regarding daily caloric intake?

There are lots of vegetarian protein sources like soy in lots of forms and beans, whey, hemp, and pea protein.

Several key vitamins are fat soluble and you need to make sure you're getting enough healthy fats from olive oil, avocados, etc. Nuts are also good, though they are calorie dense.

Protein and fat are key for you health. I'd strive for more of a balance with your nutrients.
    MFP says I should eat 1400 cals daily I keep getting mixed signals that's too much carbs are bad for losing weight

How much do you weigh?
    I'm a 5'6 and weight 169 i gain two pounds:(

I am 7 inches shorter, 50lbs less, 10 years older, and I lose on 1500 kcal/day.

It is not healthy to consume a very high amount of one macro and neglect the other. Your brain needs glucose to function (carbs). Your body needs nitrogen from protein for the normal protein synthesis that's simply part of being alive. And fat and dat soluble vitamins are crucial for good health as well. Give your body what it needs, which is more calories, more protein, and more fat.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    OP you are very fixated on carbs!! For a start, your carb intake has nothing to do with weight loss, unless you have a medical condition where you need to restrict them, it's calories in vs calories out. But if you don't want to eat the level of carbs MFP is giving you as default, don't. Just reset your macros. But you'll need to make up those calories with fats and protein instead. I'm vegetarian too, and keep my carbs around 100g a day (because of a medical issue), the rest comes from fat and protein. There are plenty of lower carbs sources of protein. My main protein sources are yoghurt, cottage cheese, other cheeses, eggs and tempeh. With those I get an adequate protein intake. You could also include some nuts, tofu, brewer's/nutritional yeast, legumes, beans, seeds...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You sound like you have a behavioural eating disorder, so I'm offering no advice other than to see a therapist.
    This ^^^^

@samiamorisseau, your relationship with food is clearly not healthy.

I see you provided your weight. At 5 ft. 6 and 169 pounds, you can eat more food.

You say you gained 2 pounds. Could that be natural fluctuation?
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Come on everyone, let's just keep giving the OP more advice without even knowing how much she weighs and what her goal is

She commented later that's she's 169 pounds, but even without knowing that, OP said that they're 5'6" and 20 years old. If that doesnt clearly scream that she needs more than 1200 calories, I dunno what does.

Regardless, OP, you need to get over your fear of carbs and calories. Find out what your TDEE and BMR are and eat at a number in between. Don't fear the calories. Don't fear the carbs. Eat some more protein and fat.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 165-ish, and 33 years old. I lose on about 1,600-1,800 calories, though I do have a job where in on my feet and walking pretty much all day. Prior to that I was losing on 1,550 per day. I also have PCOS, so limiting carbs would be a legitimate thing for me if my doctor decided it was something I needed, but I'm not there yet so I don't.
  • bekanswer
    bekanswer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I;m 5'2", 155lb - ish and 24. I am vegetarian, I limit bread, because I was a bread addict but aside from that carb intake is nothing too major (In my opinion). MFP says 1240 calories a day for me, I hate going under that and am happy to go about 200 over.

You're body needs fuel to work and help you lose weight. Don't starve yourself and make sure you are getting enough nutrition that your body needs. Especially as vegetarians we need to focus more on fueling our bodies with the right kinds of foods. Days when I lack the right nutrition I definitely feel it!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Will my fitness pal will cacualate how much cals im getting from carbs.

Please stop it with this carb obsession. I'm a Vegan I eat huge amount of carbs but I also eat sufficient protein or fats. calculate a sensible weight loss goal with a sensible calorie limit (I'm guessing more like 1500 calories). Get a sufficient amount of protein. There's many easy vegan/vegetarian protein sources in fact you need to try very hard not to get enough protein. Get your protein at a reasonable level and everything else will follow and just stop with this carb paranoia. Carbs are good they give you energy
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @Pu_239‌ , I am not sure when you get Freelee, McDougall, and 80/10/10, mixed in with this. OP says she is vegetarian, not vegan. Freelee advocates high calorie, high carbs - - the opposite of what OP seems to be doing. McDougall is also high carb. And the "80" in 80/10/10, actually refers to the percentage of carbs adherents shoot for. Again, sounds nothing like what OP is trying.

Is there a reason why you felt this rant belonged in a thread about a vegetarian who is restricting below 1,200 and trying to avoid carbs?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All these posts and not 1 person asks how much the OP currently weighs.

I asked in the very first reply :-P

ETA: Well OK technically I didn't phrase it in the form of a question. Alex Trebek would be displeased.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Yes you're right, i missed that for some reason. To me this thread was crying an extreme form of vegaterian/veganism. First instinct is those people i listed above. HOnestly, I don't even have a problem with the dietary approaches of the people I listed. I have more of a problem of the claims, and lies they say.

I am not aware of any vegan plan, extremist or otherwise, that advocates caloric restriction below 1,200 and carbohydrate restriction. I am less familiar with vegetarian plans (or Ornish's plan, which I believe is a low fat plan that doesn't restrict carbohydrates).

This seems to have more to do with disordered thinking and/or ignorance about how weight loss actually works.

I am not saying I agree with Freelee, McDougall, and 80/10/10 (I don't), but they don't seem to have anything to do with what is going on here. We will probably help the OP more by focusing on the restriction and the unreasonable fear of carbohydrates.

• samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yes you're right, i missed that for some reason. To me this thread was crying an extreme form of vegaterian/veganism. First instinct is those people i listed above. HOnestly, I don't even have a problem with the dietary approaches of the people I listed. I have more of a problem of the claims, and lies they say.

I am not aware of any vegan plan, extremist or otherwise, that advocates caloric restriction below 1,200 and carbohydrate restriction. I am less familiar with vegetarian plans (or Ornish's plan, which I believe is a low fat plan that doesn't restrict carbohydrates).

This seems to have more to do with disordered thinking and/or ignorance about how weight loss actually works.

I am not saying I agree with Freelee, McDougall, and 80/10/10 (I don't), but they don't seem to have anything to do with what is going on here. We will probably help the OP more by focusing on the restriction and the unreasonable fear of carbohydrates.
    Can I eat meat substitute?? To lose weight is that healthy??

• janejellyroll
    Options

As long as it fits in your calorie goal for the day, you can lose weight while eating meat substitutes. Meat substitutes vary widely, I don't know what you consider healthy or unhealthy, but I don't think any that I know of are harmful.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

You can eat anything you please as long as you're within your calories.