Why is calorie restriction considered to be so bad on MFP?

Options
JAT74
JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am currently doing the 5:2 diet which is based on calorie restriction 2 days per week where you eat 25% of your normal daily calories and eat the total of your TDEE on the other days.

Some people restrict further while doing this and have 3 fast days, while there are others who even do alternate day fasting.

In addition to this, some people swear by other forms of intermittent fasting such as 24 hour fasts or 18:6/16:8 etc.

The 5:2 diet came about due to the results of a BBC Horizon documentary Eat Fast Live Longer which proved that you can improve your health a lot just by restricting calories at least some days every week and there are lots of people who have proven health benefits by doing this long-term and restricting their calorie intake for life.

I watched another BBC documentary on BBC 2 yesterday about this subject where the presenter was looking at different diets to see which had the best health benefits and after trying a calorie restriction diet which consisted of eating only breakfast and lunch and cutting out most food groups except fruit, vegetables and pulses, then trying to eat Paleo (including raw food only in one case) and finally trying a fruitarian diet the conclusion was that we can live much longer if we eat a natural food diet in small quantities. The example in this case was a man of 113 who only ate fish, meat occasionally and other than that only fruit and vegetables in small quantities.

My question is that most of these people on all the diets in the programme probably ate a diet which restricted their daily calories by quite a large percentage and in some cases given as examples their blood test results showed that they were healthy despite doing so.

It's not the first time I've heard about calorie restriction for life in order to live longer and be generally healthier so why is it such a 'taboo' subject? I'm not talking about VLCDs or eating disorders which mean people eat 75% less but diets which restrict calorie by at least 30 or 40% of the normal intake and don't cut out the main food groups in order to maximise the nutritional content and to become healthier in the long-run.

In my personal case, I am restricting calories a little now and am losing weight slowly but my goal is to get my body fat % down as it is still really high at the moment and I need to find a way to speed this up. I have a BMI of 24 and am now technically a healthy weight but I would like to get my body fat down by 10-15% and my current level of calorie restriction which is only about 25% is not really helping to do this.

The main thing preventing me from going lower with my calories is the fact that from what I've read on here it's not a good thing to do and how your body goes into starvation mode etc. etc. but if so many doctors, scientists and real living people who swear by this method in order to live long healthy lives do it and are proof it's good for you rather than bad why do people tell you not to do it, it just doesn't make any sense?

Just to add to that, when I have questioned people who have actually reached their goal weight, body fat percentage and size which few people have on here (though many have shed a huge amount of weight) and I ask them how they did so, the answer I get back time and time again is that they have restricted calories to less then recommended levels ie in a lot of cases women have gone as low as 1000-1200 calories per day while exercising in order to get the weight off.

I personally will carry on as I am and try increasing my activity level for the time being while averaging 1350 calories per day eaten, though if I am prepared for the fact that it may require me to go a little lower if I want to reach my goal.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Sorry but tl;dr. Winner is the person eating the most food while losing weight. Pointless to make yourself eat way less when you can lose on way more and enjoy life way more.
  • JAT74
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not talking about weight loss but health and longevity. Of course we'd all love to be able to eat loads and weigh what we want and look amazing while doing so but that's not what I mean at all.

For health and longevity, a lot of recent TV programs, books, diets and studies done have come to conclusion that to be at our healthiest and to live longer than the average person we need to restrict calories forever.

I am trying to get to the bottom of why this is frowned upon so much on this website and why people say you shouldn't restrict more than a certain amount etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've read through this twice now and still don't completely understand what you are asking. I tend to agree with ana3067 though. I would rather eat more while losing for a few reasons: to keep from feeling miserable, to maintain strength, to train myself for long term weight management.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    JAT74 wrote: »
    I am trying to get to the bottom of why this is frowned upon so much on this website and why people say you shouldn't restrict more than a certain amount etc.
    It's like going to Weight Watchers and asking why they aren't counting calories.

Highly restricted days are just not part of the MFP method of weight management.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The general consensus here is the average women shouldn't go below 1200 calories because this is the minimum to sustain our bodily functions. Until a peer reviewed scientific paper comes out proving otherwise, this stance will remain.
    I lost a lot of weight fairly quickly doing alternate day fasting. I'm nearly down to my goal weight eating at a daily deficit now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - you made your post far too long for people's 5 second attention span!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Sorry but tl;dr. Winner is the person eating the most food while losing weight. Pointless to make yourself eat way less when you can lose on way more and enjoy life way more.

And also the long term consequences are neglected in people who are trying to do big deficits.

Love when they post about their hair loss and feeling shaky and cold etc
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    OP - you made your post far too long for people's 5 second attention span!

I must admit I'm usually quite good at reading long posts but even for me this was a bit long winded and hard going.
  • jwlester3
    jwlester3 Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP wants to discuss severe calorie restriction diets which lead to restriction of the aging process, and health benefits... personally, I can't do it because I love food and I'm training - but there is plenty of evidence that it works:

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140401/ncomms4557/full/ncomms4557.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/7898775/The-Calorie-Restriction-dieters.html
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about weight loss but health and longevity. Of course we'd all love to be able to eat loads and weigh what we want and look amazing while doing so but that's not what I mean at all.

For health and longevity, a lot of recent TV programs, books, diets and studies done have come to conclusion that to be at our healthiest and to live longer than the average person we need to restrict calories forever.

I don't want to live longer than the average person. The two grandparents I had who lived into their 90s spent their last 10 years living as Alzheimer's patients. I'd rather eat more, enjoy myself, and kick it in my 70s/early 80s.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Because as soon as someone hears the word "fasting" they think of starvation diets. And very very few people on here have read information about of 5:2 and other forms of IF and even fewer than that have tried it for the above reason.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I really don't understand what you're saying.

In your original post, you say you're not talking about VLCD, so I'm wondering what you are talking about?

Most people will need to restrict calories forever - to maintain their weight. Restricting calories isn't frowned upon here. Going very low with your calories is - because your body needs a certain number of calories to function (your brain, heart, lungs, etc all use energy every day).

Another point is: very high deficits aren't (generally) sustainable for long. Over an extended period of time, one can experience metabolic adaptation,
  • JAT74
    Options
    Sorry it was so long! I'm thinking about a lot of TV shows and diet books like 5:2 but also things I've seen mentioned by various reputable sources which talk about calorie restrictions for health benefits. A lot of the time the amount of restriction is quite significant (more than MFP recommends) so I wanted to know why when this is considered safe/healthy people are told they shouldn't do it.

Jwlester3, that's exactly what I'm talking about ie. reversal of unhealthy numbers in blood test rests, helping to slow down the aging process etc. Not eating disorders or unhealthy methods like cutting out essential food groups.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    It is unhealthy and very pointless. Once you get back to your regular routine you will just gain all the weight back. So might as well eat and exercise to live a proper and healthier life.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I followed 5:2 for a while last year. Health wise I felt great but can't honestly say I lost much weight.
  • JAT74
    Options
    TheVirgoddess yes but there's a difference between VLCDs which I understand sometimes restrict people to as little as 500 cals a day and eating less than MFP recommends ie. around 30-40% less than your TDEE which in my personal case would mean eating about 900-1000 calories on non-exercise days and about 1300-1400 on days when my TDEE is 2000 ish.
  • JAT74
    Options
    hhnkhl, that's the whole point, you're not supposed to 'go back' to your old way of eating. People who calorie restrict like this do it forever. They consider themselves to be healthier by doing that and according to them their numbers prove this to be true.

Aimeerace, 5:2 does work for health and weight loss but you have to be careful on your non-fast days too. Some people overeat on those days and have 0 weight loss, though in my experience so far I am losing less weight than when I wasn't doing 5:2.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    It is unhealthy and very pointless. Once you get back to your regular routine you will just gain all the weight back. So might as well eat and exercise to live a proper and healthier life.

Absolutely not true!! I started Alternate Day Fasting the first week of last October. I dropped 24lbs in 4mths. I'm still eating in a slight deficit, but everyday instead of severely restricting every second day. As long as i stay under my maintenance calories i will continue to lose weight, and when i'm at maintenance i will maintain my weight. Restricting calories or fasting doesn't mean you are automatically going to pack on the pounds. Over eating will ensure that!!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    TheVirgoddess yes but there's a difference between VLCDs which I understand sometimes restrict people to as little as 500 cals a day and eating less than MFP recommends ie. around 30-40% less than your TDEE which in my personal case would mean eating about 900-1000 calories on non-exercise days and about 1300-1400 on days when my TDEE is 2000 ish.

I see the question now.

Maybe it would be best for you to track on a weekly basis, rather than daily. If you eat 900 calories three days a week, and 1400 calories the other four, you're averaging around 1200 calories a day (which is the recommended minimum). The average (or, your overall diet) is what matters. Make sense?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In my personal case, I am restricting calories a little now and am losing weight slowly but my goal is to get my body fat % down as it is still really high at the moment and I need to find a way to speed this up. I have a BMI of 24 and am now technically a healthy weight but I would like to get my body fat down by 10-15% and my current level of calorie restriction which is only about 25% is not really helping to do this.

Why do you think it's not helping you do that? The problem with trying to lose body fat when you are close to goal (I have no idea what your current percentage is or how you calculated it, so am going by the fact that you are a healthy weight) is that it really can't be done that fast, because too large a deficit will lead to more loss of muscle.
    The main thing preventing me from going lower with my calories is the fact that from what I've read on here it's not a good thing to do and how your body goes into starvation mode etc. etc. but if so many doctors, scientists and real living people who swear by this method in order to live long healthy lives do it and are proof it's good for you rather than bad why do people tell you not to do it, it just doesn't make any sense?

Who at MFP claims "starvation mode"? The issue with lowering calories too far for a long period of time is that your metabolism decreases--metabolic adaptation. That must happen with the people who follow a low calorie diet for a long period of time for longevity, or they'd keep losing weight. Instead they get to a certain point where their weight plus metabolism maintains on whatever they are eating.

At that point they aren't eating below TDEE, but what their TDEE is.