How in the world do I pick a protein powder??

Options
Hemp, whey, casein, soy, my head is starting to spin with all the option available for protein powder! I think I would benefit from incorporating a protein powder in my diet, I tend to struggle to hit my daily protein goals even with chicken, low fat cheese, beans, quinoa, greek yogurt, tuna, etc.

I think I've narrowed my personal options down to hemp or whey products. I'm looking to use them in my morning smoothie and/or after workouts with almond milk. My understanding is that whey generally has more protein per gram than hemp, but that hemp tends to have more fiber and possibly other benefits? I tend to have trouble reaching my fiber goals as well, so hemp is appealing as well. Tell me about what you prefer and why! What are your top choices? I am a college student on a tight budget, so that will factor into what I can purchase. I was interested in some of the Vega products because of all the different nutrients included until I read the price tag :# so if there's anything similar to that and less expensive that anyone has used, feel free to throw that out as well!

Another protein powder question: would it be bad to use protein powder in my morning smoothie and again later in the day after a workout to help meet my protein goals? I'm guessing it's obviously better to reach those goals via regular food sources, but would it be harmful?

Thanks!

Replies

• vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Whole foods > protein powders
    Yes protein powders will give you that extra protein for your overall intake.
    I would suggest a whey protein is the most common and Also good price , just make sure to research a good brand.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I prefer protein on a stick. :D

chicken-drumstick.jpg
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i buy the one on sale
  • geeky_mama
    Options
    I went to Whole Foods and found a Chocolate Whey that I liked.. I got a little instant coffee (powdered form) there, too.
    In the blender I added ice, the recommended scoop of protein powder and some 1% milk and it tasted like a Starbucks treat. (For a treat sometimes I throw in some chocolate chips.)

When I don't have time (or don't want to clean the blender) I eat Luna protein bars. It has 12 grams of soy/whey protein and 3 grams of fiber and isn't too heavy - but also keeps me from feeling hungry for a while. My favorite are the Lemon ones - they're 180 calories I think.
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you tolerate dairy ok, whey protein is probably better than hemp. I have used MetRX, Body Fortress, Raley's Full Circle Whey, and Trutein. My favorite by far for flavor is Trutein, which also has casein and egg white protein. Body Fortress is the cheapest and tastes ok, but I feel like the MetRX and Trutein are higher quality.
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    myprotein is really good and good value and one of the best quality, lots of flavors great to throw into a shake and tastes/mixes well. theres lots out there but stick to the ones that are good protein and not blends which alot of brands do and claim its protein when its had a lot of crap added to it. Try 'Impact whey protein' by Myprotein.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    i buy the one on sale

^^This. Mine comes from Walmart (EAS Complete Protein--contains milk and soy proteins--$20 for 2lbs). Tastes all right to me, easily available, and inexpensive. I tried the Body Fortress (whey protein) from Walmart ($17 for 2lb jug), but I didn't like the taste or texture as much as the EAS. I'm cheap, but the $3 difference is worth it to me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I strongly suspect most protein powders are all coming out the same two factories anyway, no matter what they're marketed/branded as. I'm using whatever "whey isolate" I happen to find on sale, for no reason other than whey isolate was the first tub I bought and I haven't found a compelling reason to look for anything else. :smile:
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I generally pick whey protein. But most of the time for my shakes I just use egg whites from a carton. Not as much protein, but much cheaper and I like the consistency a lot better than any of the powders. You can also get dried egg whites, but I haven't tried them.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Stick with whey or casein. The plant-based stuff is for vegans and has lower bioavailability.

Of those, whey is the most common and easier to find. Buy the smallest containers and try a bunch out because they all taste different.
    but would it be harmful?

No, it's fine. It's "compressed milk." From what I've seen, most everyone into fitness eats this stuff.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only advice I can give you and what helped me was choose a protein powder with casein in it. Casein helps to keep you fuller for longer. A lot of protein powders have fast release/digesting whey proteins. Which is great for before or after a workout. But if you want the fullness factor go for slower release casein.
    This has been my experience, I can definitely tell the difference between a regular protein powder and the slow release kind.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Optimum Gold standard 100 whey. It is the most generic higher quality stuff out there.
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    As suggested just try a few different ones until you find one you like. My personal choice is ON Standard Gold French Vanilla whey protein.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    If it helps, you will not make a wrong choice. The protein supplement sounds like a good idea if you are already have difficulties hitting your goals with high protein whole foods. And the protein powders are food. Whey, soy, and hemp are foods.
    my head is starting to spin with all the option available for protein powder! I think I would benefit from incorporating a protein powder in my diet, I tend to struggle to hit my daily protein goals even with chicken, low fat cheese, beans, quinoa, greek yogurt, tuna, etc.

Cost - No point going with something so expensive you cannot afford to reach your macros

• Christine_72
    Options
    My favourite is: Gen-Tech pro lean, it has 28g protein and also has casein. 160 calories, plus it can be used as a meal replacement.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    geeky_mama wrote: »
    When I don't have time (or don't want to clean the blender) I eat Luna protein bars. It has 12 grams of soy/whey protein and 3 grams of fiber and isn't too heavy - but also keeps me from feeling hungry for a while. My favorite are the Lemon ones - they're 180 calories I think.

Those Luna bars seem great, 12g protien - non GMO and decently priced but they are packed with sugar (and a fair amount of carbs if that matters to you) look beyond just the protien with those bars :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    If you're going to go for a protein bar. IMO you can't beat Quest bars. If I need a sweet fix I'll have a chocolate brownie quest bar, microwaved for 9 seconds.