How in the world do I pick a protein powder??

Options

Replies

• ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you want quick protein...go with either Cellucor or MTS Whey. Really good especially MTS. But I do agree you can get alot of your protein from the foods you eat....you just have to buy alot of chicken, fish, shrimp, eggs and so on. Just got MTS myself and it tastes amazing.
  • Wen_Mitchell
    Wen_Mitchell Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use EAS AdvantEdge, ready to drink, chocolate fudge...tastes really good. Has 17g protein, 100 calories, 0 sugar.
    Cost $4.97 per 4-pack at Wal-Mart.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest either the EAS Whey Protein (19.98) or the Soy Protein (9.98)--both @ Wal-Mart. Main thing you want to watch is the sugar content. Mostly it is how the stuff tastes; you may have to experiment. I made some of Jamie Eason's Chocolate Protein Bars using whey pro powder (plan on trying soy next time); (you can find them on Bodybuilding.com--taste pretty good (my husband even liked them).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The only advice I can give you and what helped me was choose a protein powder with casein in it.

That's useful to hear, thank you. Not surprisingly, casein-based powders are a rare sighting at typical grocery stores, at least around here.

Sigh....it's never easy, is it....
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what I look for in protein powder.

1.) It must actually taste good and have a nice texture.
    2.) It must have a decent protein to calorie ratio.
    3.)It must not be VERY expensive.
    4.)It must be easily accessible.
    5.) It must be tested by a third party for efficacy.

Because of the above, i choose to use Optimum Nutrition or Dymatize (whey). They have great flavors, they taste good, and the texture is not gritty. They are all 130-150 calories for 23-25 grams of protein. They are a good price (about midrange). You can buy them online, at bodybuilding.com, at vitamin shop, and they are the most common brands at any local store i've been to. They are both tested by a third party to ensure that the calorie and protein count they advertise is accurate. There have been scandals in the past where some protein powders were being advertised as "25g protein!" but they actually contained less than 10. Because this is a supplement they are not evaluated by the FDA and therefore being tested is important.

Hemp protein has a lower BVI than whey. Therefore the "x gram of protein" of hemp you are consuming are going to be less helpful overall than whey protein.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have tried many different brands of Protein Powder. ON Gold Standard is ok, but I don't find the taste that great, just average. also I find it doesn't mix the greatest in water.
    My favourite brand right now is Dymatize ISO. Mixes extremely well with water, tastes fantastic. Another brand I want to try and is getting awesome reviews is Animal Whey.
    All 3 of these brands are almost pure protein.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I can tell you what I look for in protein powder.

1.) It must actually taste good and have a nice texture.
    2.) It must have a decent protein to calorie ratio.
    3.)It must not be VERY expensive.
    4.)It must be easily accessible.
    5.) It must be tested by a third party for efficacy.

Because of the above, i choose to use Optimum Nutrition or Dymatize (whey). They have great flavors, they taste good, and the texture is not gritty. They are all 130-150 calories for 23-25 grams of protein. They are a good price (about midrange). You can buy them online, at bodybuilding.com, at vitamin shop, and they are the most common brands at any local store i've been to. They are both tested by a third party to ensure that the calorie and protein count they advertise is accurate. There have been scandals in the past where some protein powders were being advertised as "25g protein!" but they actually contained less than 10. Because this is a supplement they are not evaluated by the FDA and therefore being tested is important.

Hemp protein has a lower BVI than whey. Therefore the "x gram of protein" of hemp you are consuming are going to be less helpful overall than whey protein.

The third party thing is really interesting. How do you go about finding this out?

• justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition for me. I bought the big 5 pound bag of something else from Sam's Club because reviews said it tasted great (which it did) and it was cheap. I'm embarrassed to say that it took me almost a month to realize that my extreme stomach cramps/aches were because of that protein. Found Optimum Nutrition and no pains.

No one else get any type of stomach issues with certain protein powders?? I'm afraid to try anything else because of that experience.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd found and read this thread about an hour ago .... I just ordered Myotein XPI (chocolate) off Amazon -- anyone care to give their input on that? Thanks!

I ordered it b/c I have a hard time eating breakfast in the morning .... I know breakfast is key though ... I thought a quick protein shake in the morning would be helpful because I know it's better than skipping this key meal in the day. I had a friend give me a couple of her "shakeology" shakes-- (I know what people here think about BB)-- but they did help me in the morning in lieu of skipping breakfast altogether.

That was my thinking for protein powder anyway, and to ensure I'm getting my daily protein intake ....
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I'd say go with whey. Try Optimum Nutrition, maybe.
  • Elkroawolfan
    Options
    Hemp is plant based protein, i think it is better, i don`t do protein powders because i don`t think they work that much. protein repairs muscle tissue after exercising, repairs and regenerates cells and there growth, provides the body structure through cells, replaces tissues in the body, protein is required for the enzymes in the body to carry out their role, a bit of it used in energy metabolism and it is involves in many other things with bodily function. it is also important to know that your body recycles the non-essential amino acids.
    The human body needs 20 amino acids (these make up protein) and the human body creates 12 of them and other 8 are essential so they come from animal and plant sources.
    My advice is to use precision engineered Amino 1500, they are cheaper as well.
    The best non meat source of amino acids is full fat cows milk and full fat goats milk plus soya milk. Soya bread is a great source of protein as well. drink a few glasses of milk about 10 minutes after a work out.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    sing809 wrote: »
    If you tolerate dairy ok, whey protein is probably better than hemp. I have used MetRX, Body Fortress, Raley's Full Circle Whey, and Trutein. My favorite by far for flavor is Trutein, which also has casein and egg white protein. Body Fortress is the cheapest and tastes ok, but I feel like the MetRX and Trutein are higher quality.

Trutein. I dont think ive ever seen a bad review and people rave about it. Its a protein mix with 3 types as stated above. It tend to be pricier than other proteins.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Optimum brand is great, I use their Casein at night, I use syntrax Nectar cappucino if I need protein during the day, It is just protein with no carbs fats etc, get that from my food generally. And it tastes great on its own
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition for me. I bought the big 5 pound bag of something else from Sam's Club because reviews said it tasted great (which it did) and it was cheap. I'm embarrassed to say that it took me almost a month to realize that my extreme stomach cramps/aches were because of that protein. Found Optimum Nutrition and no pains.

No one else get any type of stomach issues with certain protein powders?? I'm afraid to try anything else because of that experience.

I bought one labeled as gluten free and... it wasn't. I am very, very leery when buying protein powders now.

I could use recommendations. It can't be processed on shared equipment, either. I'm pretty sensitive.

• Elkroawolfan
    Options
    Hemp is plant based and the rest of it is science fact.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    -Reply Removed-

You're*
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    "I think it is better" is science fact???

Who knew?

As for the rest of the post, I don't know about the science of protein in the body and really don't care, so I'll leave that to MrM. He knows his stuff.