Been tracking for 1 month and haven't lost 1 pound, ugh so frustrated

Options
I put on about 13 pounds this past year and am trying my hardest to lose it but the numbers are just not budging. I exercise regularly and have been for about 10 years so this is not my issue, I don't even believe it's my caloric intake because I always have a surplus so I'm not sure what's going on? Ive had my thyroid checked recently and it's perfect, I'm slightly vitamin D insufficient but that's it. Please help as I'm becoming stressed out and sad about this.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    We need more information. What are your age/height/weight? Do you use a food scale/measuring cups? Are you eating back some/all of your exercise calories? Can you open your diary?
  • loselbsnow2015
    loselbsnow2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't know how to open up my diary? According to mfp I'm eating some of my calories back but it's never all of them.

I'm 42, 5'2" and weigh 148 lbs. right now. I haven't weighed this much for at least 10 years! For some reason the weight just piled on this past year and it's just not coming off. I am having some hormone changes which are typical at my age but not sure if the changes are the culprit for my weight gain and no loss? I'm just feeling so frustrated right now.
  • loselbsnow2015
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok, I just went in and made it public :)
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Id say you should measure your foods more accurately...some of the foods you are consuming might be a bit higher in calories.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    As malibu asked, are you using a food scale? And do you log everything?

(Just looked at your diary, apparently not.) Donuts, pop, pizza, I'm honestly not surprised you're gaining, I'd be more surprised if you weren't, especially at your height.

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything!
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Also, at 5'2, there is something seriously wrong with your calorie goal for the day. At 5'7, to lose .5 pounds per week at 169 pounds, I had around 1450 calories per day, but you have over 1900??
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    ^agreed for instance peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Lost each part individually, then you can select them and make it a meal so you don't have to add individually. Use a food scale with only 13 lbs to loose accurate logging is very important
    Also some days seemed to be I complete
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other replies yet, but I have looked at your diary.

You're not logging everything you eat because if you were you would be losing weight. Your entries are generic, which means you are not are most likely not weighing your food, thus your calorie intake is not accurate.

Your exercise calories are way overestimated. You don't burn 350 calories for 35 minutes of running, especially with your height and weight.

You sound like you don't have much left to lose, so it will take awhile. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Start accurately logging, proceed from there.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Start accurately logging, proceed from there.

Absolutely, and re-calculate your goals, as I said, there's something wrong there!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I put on about 13 pounds this past year and am trying my hardest to lose it but the numbers are just not budging. I exercise regularly and have been for about 10 years so this is not my issue, I don't even believe it's my caloric intake because I always have a surplus so I'm not sure what's going on? Ive had my thyroid checked recently and it's perfect, I'm slightly vitamin D insufficient but that's it. Please help as I'm becoming stressed out and sad about this.

So, eating above your maintenance needs?

for you to be logging so little indicates you're probably not logging accurately. So as already said, start logging accurately.
    Also, at 5'2, there is something seriously wrong with your calorie goal for the day. At 5'7, to lose .5 pounds per week at 169 pounds, I had around 1450 calories per day, but you have over 1900??
    I'm 5'7, when I was 169lbs my net goal to lose 1lb/week for the short time I did the NEAT method was ~1900 calories. I also ate back exercise calories on top of that.
  • loselbsnow2015
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'll buy the food scale but yes, I'm logging everything I eat as accurately as I can. As far as my goals, it's 1300 daily calories but my running and other exercise adds to my daily intake and yes, running for 35 minutes does burn 350 calories, I run 9/10 minute miles. I have the mfp app synced with my running app, map my run and it calculates everything. I just want to loose 13 lbs. by June
  • loselbsnow2015
    Options
    Actually I just rechecked my daily calorie intake goal and it's set at 1280.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'll buy the food scale but yes, I'm logging everything I eat as accurately as I can. As far as my goals, it's 1300 daily calories but my running and other exercise adds to my daily intake and yes, running for 35 minutes does burn 350 calories, I run 9/10 minute miles. I have the mfp app synced with my running app, map my run and it calculates everything. I just want to loose 13 lbs. by June

The apps while useful are not always truly accurate. I find that Map my run vastly overestimates the calories it says I burn. Ideally I only eat back half my exercise calories or even less than that.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

It is, and can only be, ever, your caloric intake.

(Actually your net, but intake is good enough)

It is not possible to be anything but.

• bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Saw this in your food log and got concerned:

Dunkin Doughnuts - Jelly Filled, 1 doughnut 270 32 14 3 330 15
    Blue Sky Organic Soda - Orange Divine, 12 fl oz 180 44 0 0 10 44
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

If that concerns you, you'd probably have a heart attack if you saw my diary about a year ago and i was still losing weight.

Yes, but then you re-gained, because you hadn't changed your habits.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

What's wrong with this? The important part is finding balance and moderation.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »

What's wrong with this? The important part is finding balance and moderation.

I agree that it's okay in moderation, but if you're not accurately logging, and eating things like this regularly, you're making losing weight hard.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP I didn't bother going back any further into your diary than the 23rd as by then it was abundantly clear you're underestimating your calories and overestimating your calorie burn.