Been tracking for 1 month and haven't lost 1 pound, ugh so frustrated

Options

Replies

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    As malibu asked, are you using a food scale? And do you log everything?

(Just looked at your diary, apparently not.) Donuts, pop, pizza, I'm honestly not surprised you're gaining, I'd be more surprised if you weren't, especially at your height.

Buy a food scale, weigh and log everything!

not when she rarely goes over 900.

OP your logging is poor/incomplete
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    I put on about 13 pounds this past year and am trying my hardest to lose it but the numbers are just not budging. I exercise regularly and have been for about 10 years so this is not my issue, I don't even believe it's my caloric intake because I always have a surplus so I'm not sure what's going on? Ive had my thyroid checked recently and it's perfect, I'm slightly vitamin D insufficient but that's it. Please help as I'm becoming stressed out and sad about this.

You're not logging consistently, that's a big problem. log more consistently and go from there.

I thought inconsistency didn't matter -- just eat less. Right.

Moving on...

As others have said, OP -- weigh and measure everything.
    If you find that your food intake isn't the issue, only eat half your exercise calories.

Measure yourself. Take pictures. Keep going.

So true that pictures tell a story too, and weighing food is important.

However, as to the bold part: if we don't log consistently, we don't know how much we're eating. If we don't know how much we're eating, then we tend to overestimate portions, which kills a calorie deficit.

You are missing out on a thread in which the person I quoted was suggesting that accuracy in logging didn't matter. For instance, if you aren't seeing a loss, just adjust your calorie target down and continue to log the same because habits.

For that person to roll in and suggest consistently logging is just humorous. Because without an attempt at accuracy in what she logging, OP will see no result.

Part of accuracy is consistency. I advocate both and see them as interrelated and vital to success.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »
    I put on about 13 pounds this past year and am trying my hardest to lose it but the numbers are just not budging. I exercise regularly and have been for about 10 years so this is not my issue, I don't even believe it's my caloric intake because I always have a surplus so I'm not sure what's going on? Ive had my thyroid checked recently and it's perfect, I'm slightly vitamin D insufficient but that's it. Please help as I'm becoming stressed out and sad about this.

You're not logging consistently, that's a big problem. log more consistently and go from there.

Maybe she should just eyeball everything and play one big guessing game

No, it's HAND EYE everything! Because habits!

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'll buy the food scale but yes, I'm logging everything I eat as accurately as I can. As far as my goals, it's 1300 daily calories but my running and other exercise adds to my daily intake and yes, running for 35 minutes does burn 350 calories, I run 9/10 minute miles. I have the mfp app synced with my running app, map my run and it calculates everything. I just want to loose 13 lbs. by June

Actually, that is inaccurate. MFP and internet databases have overestimated calorie burns, as do the treadmills.

I am a few years older than you, 5 ft 5, weight 139 pounds, and 30 minutes of running according to my heart rate monitor is about 250 or less. The treadmill gives me a good 350-400 for the 30 minutes. :)

I am 40 years old, almost 6 ft tall and weigh 181. For me, I burn just about 100 cals per 10 minutes consistently via HRM and the Treadmill. (which agree, btw).

We can't all be burning the same, because we're very different size people. I just run my full hour (just over 6 miles and log it at 600). I don't eat them back, though

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Moving on...

If you find that your food intake isn't the issue, only eat half your exercise calories.

However, as to the bold part: if we don't log consistently, we don't know how much we're eating. If we don't know how much we're eating, then we tend to overestimate portions, which kills a calorie deficit.

You are missing out on a thread in which the person I quoted was suggesting that accuracy in logging didn't matter. For instance, if you aren't seeing a loss, just adjust your calorie target down and continue to log the same because habits.

For that person to roll in and suggest consistently logging is just humorous. Because without an attempt at accuracy in what she logging, OP will see no result.

Part of accuracy is consistency. I advocate both and see them as interrelated and vital to success.

Question, how do you know you're not off by 500 calories a day compared to what you're estimating?

Don't hijack the thread and bring it back to a discussion that has already been locked by the mods. Against the TOS
  • blankiefinder
    Options

Moving on...

Question, how do you know you're not off by 500 calories a day compared to what you're estimating?

Don't hijack the thread and bring it back to a discussion that has already been locked by the mods. Against the TOS

I am not the one who is hijacking, people bring up stuff from other topics are the one who is hijacking it...

So ignore it. You're an adult.
  • blankiefinder
    edited March 2015
    Options
    double post
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Lilly_the_Hillbilly Posts: 914 Member
    Options

Moving on...

ETA: you don't, you're estimating TDEE, you're estimating your calorie consumption your estimating your calorie burned and you're estimating your weight. Ever notice how some scales say you weigh a few lbs more or less? If you don't know the exact answer to any of them, you're estimating, you're being inaccurate.

And obviously it never worked for me -rolls eyes-

I would think that means that the scales aren't properly zeroed. Correctly maintained- scales are correct in your weight at that time.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP definitely log your donuts, log everything. I have my not so good days where my choices put me way in the red. But it doesn't matter as long as I'm under at the end of the week. I more so watch my weekly deficit rather than my daily one.
    I got a fit bit a few days ago and synced it with mfp. I'm not going to eat back the exercise calories it gives me just yet, i'm going to wait and see what the scales say in a week or two. as i just don't trust these gadgets 100% . I know you said you aren't going to eat back your exercise calories, but sometimes they will come in handy if you do go over your calories, and when you do you want those burns to be as accurate as possible
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I used to estimate everything, in fact, considered myself overestimating, until I got a scale.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options

Moving on...

ETA: you don't, you're estimating TDEE, you're estimating your calorie consumption your estimating your calorie burned and you're estimating your weight. Ever notice how some scales say you weigh a few lbs more or less? If you don't know the exact answer to any of them, you're estimating, you're being inaccurate.

I would think that means that the scales aren't properly zeroed. Correctly maintained- scales are correct in your weight at that time.

Yes since this goes back to the op's post about accuracy recommendations. I will elaborate. The scale is a good example, my scale is off compared to my doctors. I would say about 5lbs. Does that mean I should go out and buy a new one, or the doctor should go out and buy a new one? Does it mean I should be more "accurate"? No, accuracy makes no difference in this case. I have a number and that's my reference point. If I lose weight on my scale i am losing weight which is my goal. It doesn't matter if it's off or not.

How can you call yourself a scientist and not care if your scale is off? I don't' know that you science very well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start logging accurately and you'll lose.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Moving on...

Yes since this goes back to the op's post about accuracy recommendations. I will elaborate. The scale is a good example, my scale is off compared to my doctors. I would say about 5lbs. Does that mean I should go out and buy a new one, or the doctor should go out and buy a new one? Does it mean I should be more "accurate"? No, accuracy makes no difference in this case. I have a number and that's my reference point. If I lose weight on my scale i am losing weight which is my goal. It doesn't matter if it's off or not.

How can you call yourself a scientist and not care if your scale is off? I don't' know that you science very well.

If you're not so fussed with actual precise numbers then no it wouldn't matter a great deal, as long as the trend is down. Same as those body fat scales, the number is usually inaccurate but the downward trend is "usually" not.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options

Moving on...

If you're not so fussed with actual precise numbers then no it wouldn't matter a great deal, as long as the trend is down. Same as those body fat scales, the number is usually inaccurate but the downward trend is "usually" not.

I believe accuracy is important. Especially if you are having trouble or are stuck at a weight for a time. It's amazing how fast 10g here and then 20mls there can all add up to being 100calories not logged.

My contention was that his example was a poor one.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Moving on...

I believe accuracy is important. Especially if you are having trouble or are stuck at a weight for a time. It's amazing how fast 10g here and then 20mls there can all add up to being 100calories not logged.

I agree with you, i want my scales to be as accurate as possible. Some folks don't focus on scale weight as much as inches lost etc etc
  • celticlass69
    celticlass69 Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I honestly didn't realize how much I was eating until I bought an electronic scale. Also, I overestimated caloric burning before I got a HRM.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Moving on...

Checking scale (food/body weight) calibration is very simply to do. You place an item with a known weight on it and see the reading. Using a scale that isn't properly calibrated isn't giving you accurate feedback. It is more likely to give you incorrect readings -- meaning you don't actually know if a downward trend is the result of your efforts or a dying battery.

It's not about perfection, but giving yourself the most accurate information possible to make decisions.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options

Moving on...

I agree with you, i want my scales to be as accurate as possible. Some folks don't focus on scale weight as much as inches lost etc etc

I see the point you are making but the OP appears to be stuck with her weight loss and people telling her to try logging her food more accurately is not a bad suggestion. If anything it'll give her greater awareness of what she is eating how fast it can add up.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Moving on...

I see the point you are making but the OP appears to be stuck with her weight loss and people telling her to try logging her food more accurately is not a bad suggestion. If anything it'll give her greater awareness of what she is eating how fast it can add up.

True :smile: I think when you're stalled you should make sure all your tools are as accurate as possible
  • peacemom
    peacemom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I run 9/10 min. mile and can easily burn 350 in 35 minutes. I try to underestimate my exercise and overestimate my calorie intake. Agree with the others...log everything you eat.