• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I think the key is the cocoa powder--it will block the taste of beans me thinks.
    I also believe that is exactly it.
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Yikes! Wait... it IS April Fools Day. That has to be it?

Nah, thread started earlier than yesterday. :)
    I made the black bean brownies from skinnytaste.com and they were really good. My kids had no clue and couldn't get enough of them. For them, the key was dark chocolate chip morsals.
    Excellent. I also thought it would be a good way to up my protein, but a serving has so little protein that it doesn't really matter.

Maybe replace cocoa powder with chocolate protein powder? I'm really not a huge fan of cocoa powder, I find it tastes super bitter and can just make recipes taste gross unless used in small amounts or with lots of sweetener... or does sweetened cocoa powder exist? Ours here is unsweetened.

quik.jpg

it's cocoa powder? I used to drinkt heir weird syrupy stuff!

I think it's more than that, but yeah IIRC the two main ingredients are cocoa powder and sugar. Probably some powdered milk-ish stuff too.

ETA: From their website

INGREDIENTS:SUGAR, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, SOY LECITHIN, CARRAGEENAN, SALT, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SPICE. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: CALCIUM CARBONATE, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), ZINC OXIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), COPPER GLUCONATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, BIOTIN.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I think the key is the cocoa powder--it will block the taste of beans me thinks.
    I also believe that is exactly it.
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Yikes! Wait... it IS April Fools Day. That has to be it?

Nah, thread started earlier than yesterday. :)
    I made the black bean brownies from skinnytaste.com and they were really good. My kids had no clue and couldn't get enough of them. For them, the key was dark chocolate chip morsals.
    Excellent. I also thought it would be a good way to up my protein, but a serving has so little protein that it doesn't really matter.

Maybe replace cocoa powder with chocolate protein powder? I'm really not a huge fan of cocoa powder, I find it tastes super bitter and can just make recipes taste gross unless used in small amounts or with lots of sweetener... or does sweetened cocoa powder exist? Ours here is unsweetened.

quik.jpg

it's cocoa powder? I used to drinkt heir weird syrupy stuff!

I think it's more than that, but yeah IIRC the two main ingredients are cocoa powder and sugar. Probably some powdered milk-ish stuff too.

ETA: From their website

INGREDIENTS:SUGAR, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, SOY LECITHIN, CARRAGEENAN, SALT, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SPICE. VITAMINS AND MINERALS: CALCIUM CARBONATE, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), ZINC OXIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), COPPER GLUCONATE, MANGANESE SULFATE, BIOTIN.

I like that it contains spice.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I used unsweetened cocoa powder and added Stevia. It tasted pretty sweet.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I made black bean brownies once and they were GREAT! Really rich. They disappeared fast.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »
    I made black bean brownies once and they were GREAT! Really rich. They disappeared fast.

I saw a recipe for that as well, and I've thought of trying them. I really like trying unconventional recipes just to see what they turn out like.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i've had vegan black bean brownies. they were absolutely delicious and i read the ingredients after tasting them and couldn't believe i saw "black beans" as the FIRST ingredient! don't knock it 'til you try it. tasted pretty much exactly like any other yummy chocolate brownie around.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely excited to try these!