1235»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Sunshine! My levels were at 21 last week so I'm taking supplements and getting out in the sun as much as I can. I hope I feel a difference soon because I am always so tired. I need more energy.

Most adults are still vitamin d deficient even with ample sun exposure.

Why's that?

I think anything north of a certain latitude (I think anything north of Pittsburgh-ish), there is not enough sunlight during the winter months to synthesize enough vitamin D to meet the RDA (even if you're out all day). I remember my nutrition professor saying something about it during a lecture, but I don't remember what she exactly said.

Yeah, that makes sense, but I thought @pollypocket1021 was saying that adults' vitamin D synthesis is worse than kids', no matter how much sun we get.

(going back a bit - the solution my derm proposed for the sun protection vs. Vit D conundrum in summer is to expose my arms and legs for 20 minutes a day but keep my face protected)
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Sunshine! My levels were at 21 last week so I'm taking supplements and getting out in the sun as much as I can. I hope I feel a difference soon because I am always so tired. I need more energy.

Why's that?

I think anything north of a certain latitude (I think anything north of Pittsburgh-ish), there is not enough sunlight during the winter months to synthesize enough vitamin D to meet the RDA (even if you're out all day). I remember my nutrition professor saying something about it during a lecture, but I don't remember what she exactly said.

Yeah, that makes sense, but I thought @pollypocket1021 was saying that adults' vitamin D synthesis is worse than kids', no matter how much sun we get.

(going back a bit - the solution my derm proposed for the sun protection vs. Vit D conundrum in summer is to expose my arms and legs for 20 minutes a day but keep my face protected)

The kids>adults thing is something that I've heard speculated but I have not seen observational studies that compare the two.

The hypothesis is that innate vitamin d synthesis decreases with age, like with other hormones. But most of the data I have personally seen relates to adults and at risk kids. It does not compare baseline values across healthy populations at various ages.

Adults in Florida who sunbathe daily are likely to be vitamin d deficient if they do not supplement.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    @Optimistical1 Hello=-) does your husband check his blood levels regularly? I'm curious if his 5,000iu is maintaining the correct level? Do you aim for a standard blood level, or does your PCP recommend a higher level? Thanks=-)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

Why's that?

The kids>adults thing is something that I've heard speculated but I have not seen observational studies that compare the two.

The hypothesis is that innate vitamin d synthesis decreases with age, like with other hormones.
    But most of the data I have personally seen relates to adults and at risk kids. It does not compare baseline values across healthy populations at various ages.

Adults in Florida who sunbathe daily are likely to be vitamin d deficient if they do not supplement.

Ah yeah, that makes sense. Thanks!