Which cereal brands are good for weight loss??

Options

Replies

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with all of the above, to eat what you like and make it fit into your day.

That being said...oatmeal? boring? Whaaa?! I could eat it every day for the rest of my life and be happy LOL! I think its awesome on its own, but flexible enough that you can add pretty much anything to it for variety. Looove me some oatmeal. But I digress LoL
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »

kgtpw7jaswew.jpg

Have served me well.

What are these glorious things and where do I find them? That looks like the best cereal in the world.

OP- I'm a fan of virtually all cereals, but I do tend to eat Kashi Go Lean for the extra protein boost.

I'm in the UK so have to rely on overpriced American import websites for my US cereal and chocolate/candy needs.

I assumed they'd be available in most US stores.

PS They are glorious.
    PPS They are far more glorious than lucky charms.

I got really sad when I saw "UK" then really happy when I read on. You import cereals? That's serious dedication.

I've never seen them before, so I clearly need to up my cereal game and do some searching.

ETA: There is a feature on their website to search for stores that stock the product of your choice near you. Seriously. Looks like I'm making a trip to Walmart.
    Next level cereal eating, achieved.

Yeah, there's quite a few UK based websites selling American import food.

I don't know if it's because they aren't available here that I like them, like a feeling you're eating something special, or that they actually taste better.

There's also far more choice in the US market than here. The cereal selection in the US is far superior, our M&M flavour variety is poor, most Reece's products are hard to track down, and our Oreo game is verging on emotional breakdown inducing.
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I really like the Special K protein cereal. It seems to keep me full longer than others. Most morning I either have a bowl of that or use it on top of yogurt.
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    Totally agree with all of the above, to eat what you like and make it fit into your day.

That being said...oatmeal? boring? Whaaa?! I could eat it every day for the rest of my life and be happy LOL! I think its awesome on its own, but flexible enough that you can add pretty much anything to it for variety. Looove me some oatmeal. But I digress LoL

I like the flavor oatmeal but they all have artificial sugar which is bad
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

1. I don't think all oatmeal has artificial sugar.
    2. What is your source for artificial sugar being "bad"? I don't think that has been established.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

What is bad about artificial sugar? Or are you just repeating something you heard with no factual basis?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    any that fit in your calorie goal
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Apparently Froot Loops, Honeycomb, Frosted Mini Wheats, Apple Jacks - all good for weight loss, because I eat them for bedtime snacks all the time and have managed to reach my loss goals.

Calories in, calories out - a calorie deficit is good for weight loss. Of course you need to be more selective if you're eating cereal for breakfast, and want something that is going to fill you up and carry you through the morning (which is why I eat it at bedtime rather than for breakfast).

If you find oatmeal boring, try adding things to it - fresh fruit (or frozen blueberries, which is my go-to for oatmeal when I don't have fresh summer fruit), some walnuts or pecans, toss in some plain Greek yogurt for added protein and creaminess, sweeten it with a tablespoon of honey, and top it all with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Or check out a recipe for Overnight Oats - great when you're in a hurry in the morning, or in summer when a cool breakfast is just perfect. You can also try different varieties of hot cereals - Trader Joe's has a multi-grain oatmeal, or try the old standard Cream of Wheat, Malt-O-Meal, or whatever else you can find out there. Mixing it up with different textures and flavors can make it less monotonous.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like the ones with a higher protein amount.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    If you stay within your goals, any are fine.
    This.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch ftw!

^ This.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want to stay in your goals, however, if you have dietary restrictions (gluten, sugar, food allergies) then that will impact your choices, though you didn't mention. Today I had bread with peanut butter and diced aples in juice, tomorrow maybe I'll have leftovers. Breakfast doesn't mean oatmeal, eggs, pancakes, whatever. It means eating food. :grinning:
  • Dragn77
    edited March 2015
    Options

All oatmeal has artificial sugar?

Not that I even care about artificial sugar...but Im pretty sure thats not remotely true. Thats literally like saying all rice has artificial sugar. No logic in that at all...

Looking at my oatmeal right now:
    ingredients - 100% whole grain rolled oats
    sugars - less than 1g

I have a strong feeling you are talking about those packaged / processed flavored oatmeals, and a little sad that you dont realize you can get actual regular 100% oatmeal, because you are totally missing out! Yes, oats are really a thing! They actually grow out of the ground and everything! LoL
  • jigglyjessica
    jigglyjessica Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Cereal just doesn't fill me up :(
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    "cityruss wrote: »

I'm in the UK so have to rely on overpriced American import websites for my US cereal and chocolate/candy needs.

I assumed they'd be available in most US stores.

PS They are glorious.
    PPS They are far more glorious than lucky charms.

Blasphemy! :smile:

Also, what @Dragn77‌ said RE oatmeal. I sometimes like the packages for convenience, but it’s not that hard to make a bowl of oatmeal yourself. When I was on an oat kick, I made giant cooked batches every week and just weighed it out every morning. Alternatively, overnight oats are as easy as it gets.

On a similar note, greek yogurt with granola-type things on top is a nice option too for higher protein. It’s a good idea to weigh the granola, though, as most kinds are really dense calorie-wise.
    Cereal just doesn't fill me up :(

I hear you. Nowadays they’re more of a snack or dessert for me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Me, too! I love everything about oatmeal; it's texture, everything. I now make steel cut oats at least once a week. And refrigerator oats. I like adding raisins or other fruit, and instead of milk I now add Greek Yogurt.

But this girl is bored of it so I'm not going to push it. There are so many other choices.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @samiamorisseau is talking about the flavour packets which have sugar in them.
    $_35.JPG
    I start with minute oats or big flake oats. This is cheaper and you can doctor them any way you like. The proportion for the microwave is 1/3 cup oats to 1 cup water, three minutes, and watch closely that it doesn't boil over the sides.

If it's any consolation I've checked and the flavour packets contain real sugar not fake sugar.

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/instant-oatmeal/bakery-favorites-variety.aspx
  • lindsey852
    Options
    honey bunches of oats with strawberries THE BEST!

• Dragn77
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Me, too! I love everything about oatmeal; it's texture, everything. I now make steel cut oats at least once a week. And refrigerator oats. I like adding raisins or other fruit, and instead of milk I now add Greek Yogurt.

But this girl is bored of it so I'm not going to push it. There are so many other choices.

Yup tis true...just so hard not to be like "but...but...but...oatmeal is AWESOME!" Lmfao!!!

In general though, I love hot cereals...oatmeal, cream of rice, cream of wheat and cornmeal porridge. Oatmeal most people like, but I do figure if someone doesnt like it, esp whole oats, they definitely arent going to like the other hot cereals...but I think they taste good and very filling.

The cold cereals, yeah..thats just like when I want *a little something*but not actually hungry. Id need to eat at least 2 servings worth to feel like it was an actual meal. And I also dont like overly sweet cereals anyway...rice crispies and multi-grain cheereos is about as wild and crazy as I get LoL Oh wait no...frosted flakes. Once or twice year, I will grab a box of those...
  • suzeequu
    suzeequu Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    special K red berries- 110 cal for 1 cup.. pretty low in sugar too. with some cashew (unsweetened) milk. yummy.
  • jigglyjessica
    jigglyjessica Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Muesli is filling but I can go beyond overboard on it, same with granola, so I stay away lol