April 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    75 miles again for me, but this time I'm only counting the miles I run. Walking miles are just a bonus.

exercise.png
    4/1 - 3 miles - total: 3 miles
    4/3 - 4 miles - total: 7 miles
    4/6 - 7.5 miles - total 14.5 miles
    4/7 - 7 miles - total 21.5 miles
    4/8 - 6.2 miles - total 27.7 miles
    4/9 - 4.75 miles - total 32.45
    4/11 - 7.5 miles - total 39.95

Amendment: If I walk a total of less than 5 minutes out of 90, I'm not going to try to take the walk breaks back out of my mileage total.

4/12 - 4.5 miles - total 44.45

Another amendment: I can't differentiate running time and walking time when I run outdoors, so I'm counting the whole thing. I think I prefer the treadmill, overall.

4/13 - 7 miles - total 51.45
    4/14 - 2 miles - total 53.45
    4/15 - 2 miles - total 55.45
    4/16 - 2 miles - total 57.45

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    Okay so i know eveyrone here loves running. but as i have been training for months and am 8 weeks out from my marathon, i can honestly still say i HATE running. every single time i loath it and cant wait for it to be over. I am prety sure once i complete this marathon I will be going back to my normal cardio and my beloved weight lifting and reserving running to just a short 15 min warmup a couple times a week. I wish I could love it like you guys do.

exercise.png

I don't understand this, if you hate it so much why run? There are so many other cardio things you can do. I especially don't understand why you would want to run 4+ whatever hours of a marathon if you hate to run.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Okay so i know eveyrone here loves running. but as i have been training for months and am 8 weeks out from my marathon, i can honestly still say i HATE running. every single time i loath it and cant wait for it to be over. I am prety sure once i complete this marathon I will be going back to my normal cardio and my beloved weight lifting and reserving running to just a short 15 min warmup a couple times a week. I wish I could love it like you guys do.

exercise.png

Aw, please don't run if you hate it. There is so much else you could do instead. Life's too short to do what you hate. Do what you love.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Hi everybody!! I have nothing to report (on the IR list) BUT I think you're all awesome and I'll be back before long. xo Meanwhile, I'm living vicariously through you - except those of you who hate it, lol (jk, peeps - love you, too). :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Hates running, signs up for a marathon. Makes zero sense.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Wow, a lot happens on this thread when I'm not paying attention to it!

Yesterday I did a 1 mile brick after doing intervals in the pouring rain on my bike. It's been months since I did a brick run aaaaand now I remember why. They're terrible. Just. Terrible.

I also ran with my Girls on the Run team today. Whoever ran more laps than Coach Sarah (that's me!) got a prize. So I ran really, really slowly so everyone could beat me. Did about a mile and a half (like I said, really slow!) which means my fastest girls did almost three, which is great progress for them! Everyone runs at their own pace and its non competitive, but when faced with the possibility of beating me, they try a lot harder!
    Debating running for real tonight or just calling it a day. Some one tell me to get off my butt, please!
    34.6 for the month.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    @SBRRepeat - how old are these girls? I love it! I coached little kids track (New Kent KIDS in Motion), ages 4-middle school. It was the BEST experience. Sounds like you're a wonderful coach, and as we know - you're not just coaching them about running out there. So many opportunities.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    4/1: 5 miles
    4/2: 7 miles
    4/3: 4.2 miles
    4/4: REST!
    4/5: 18 miles
    4/6: 4 miles
    4/7: XT rowing and biking
    4/8: 5 miles
    4/9: 10 miles
    4/10: 3.1 miles
    4/11: 8.5 miles
    4/12: REST
    4/13: 6 miles
    4/14: Rest
    4/15: 6.2 miles
    4/16: 8 miles

Current total: 85 miles
    exercise.png
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    1--- 8mi
    2--- 8mi
    3--- 20mi
    4--- 6 mi
    5--- 12mi --- Week total: 66.3 miles
    6--- Rest day
    7--- 14mi
    8--- 8mi
    9--- 12mi
    10--- 8mi
    11--- 8mi
    12--- 20mi --- Week total:70 miles
    13--- Rest day
    14--- 8mi
    15--- 10mi
    16--- 8mi

Total: 149 miles

Goal: 250 miles
  • SBRRepeat
    Options

exercise.png

Hates running, signs up for a marathon. Makes zero sense.

This confuses me, too. But I have a lot of coworkers who run, despite hating it, because they think that's how you lose weight. To be fair, none of them have ever signed up for a marathon, though.

@4leighbee sorry you're on the IR list! Hope you get back out there soon!

The girls are 6th to 8th graders at a really rough inner city school. We don't have a track, so they run what are basically 200 meter circles in a parking lot (roads are too dangerous). Until two weeks ago we were indoors, where they'd run around their cafeteria (no gym). Usually 50 or 60 teeny tiny laps.
    They aren't an easy group to work with and I'm not really a kid person, so it doesn't exactly come naturally to me, but some of them have accomplished incredible things over the last few months, so that makes it easier.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Why do it? so i can say to myself I did. the fat me still tells the fitter me that I am not worthy. i find differenet challenges and do them. if i didnt try different things I would never learn what I like and dont like, goes for fitness as well as foods, jobs, etc.

I have always did some running, completeing a handfull or two halfs, a bunch of 10ks and 5ks. thought I would shoot for a marathon. when training for smaller events running never became a job like it has when training for this marathon. its like a i have a 2nd job that I work part time with a naggy boss. after all these months, whatever fun that was for me running there has been sucked out and hench the hating the running now. but I stick to my goals and follow through.

• 4leighbee
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

The girls are 6th to 8th graders at a really rough inner city school. We don't have a track, so they run what are basically 200 meter circles in a parking lot (roads are too dangerous). Until two weeks ago we were indoors, where they'd run around their cafeteria (no gym). Usually 50 or 60 teeny tiny laps.
    They aren't an easy group to work with and I'm not really a kid person, so it doesn't exactly come naturally to me, but some of them have accomplished incredible things over the last few months, so that makes it easier.

THIS is the most amazing thing I have heard in a long, long time. Where are you? How can I help with this? Fantastic.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

THIS is the most amazing thing I have heard in a long, long time. Where are you? How can I help with this? Fantastic.

They're a great organization! And they're all over the U.S. Our one millionth girl will go through the program this year.
    Girlsontherun.org
    They're always looking for volunteer coaches or Solemates, who are basically charity runners. The Cincinnati chapter, where I am, will provide a full scholarship to any girl who needs it- including professionally fitted running shoes, entry into the 5K, etc. so the Solemates raise a minimum of one girl's tuition ($160) before the race of their choice. They're a partner charity for the flying pig marathon, which is the race I'm doing. I don't have the url for my personal fundraising page memorized, but I'll post the link if you want later.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options

exercise.png

interval run 4 miles
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

They're a great organization! And they're all over the U.S. Our one millionth girl will go through the program this year.
    Girlsontherun.org
    They're always looking for volunteer coaches or Solemates, who are basically charity runners. The Cincinnati chapter, where I am, will provide a full scholarship to any girl who needs it- including professionally fitted running shoes, entry into the 5K, etc. so the Solemates raise a minimum of one girl's tuition ($160) before the race of their choice. They're a partner charity for the flying pig marathon, which is the race I'm doing. I don't have the url for my personal fundraising page memorized, but I'll post the link if you want later.

What a great organization!!!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

exercise.png

Lol! I'd almost bet that when its all done, and you have that massive accopmlishment, the road behind your won't look the way it does currently.

Sounds like you have over trained. I'm guessing cutting back a week to give you some time to recover wouldn't kill you ability to do the marathon. My personal opinion, once you can hit 18 miles on your longest run, don't push yourself any further.

But, if you've come thus far to find running isn't your fit, no worries. Bow out.

Marathon training is a monuMENTAL task.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Why do it? so i can say to myself I did. the fat me still tells the fitter me that I am not worthy. i find differenet challenges and do them. if i didnt try different things I would never learn what I like and dont like, goes for fitness as well as foods, jobs, etc.

I have always did some running, completeing a handfull or two halfs, a bunch of 10ks and 5ks. thought I would shoot for a marathon. when training for smaller events running never became a job like it has when training for this marathon. its like a i have a 2nd job that I work part time with a naggy boss. after all these months, whatever fun that was for me running there has been sucked out and hench the hating the running now. but I stick to my goals and follow through.

Any distance can be a beast to train for. After my marathon Saturday, I'm training for a 5k. I'll be putting in the same high mileage but with lots of speedwork. A marathon is no more of a challenge than a well-trained 5k.

• 4leighbee
    Options

Any distance can be a beast to train for. After my marathon Saturday, I'm training for a 5k. I'll be putting in the same high mileage but with lots of speedwork. A marathon is no more of a challenge than a well-trained 5k.

+1
    This is a frustrating fallacy perpetuated in all the mags, online and even in some real-world running circles. The marathon (or the Ultra or the Tri ... whatever) is the top echelon. But ... in Track and Field, people don't say - "those 100M guys aren't doing nearly enough work! but wow look at those 2-milers. They must be the hard core athletes." The runs are just so different from one another and require totally different preparation, physical and mental. 5Ks are awesome and challenging in a very different way.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    In for 50 miles!
    April 1st - 3.5 miles
    April 4th - 3.9 miles
    April 6th - 4.3 miles
    April 8th - 5.5 miles
    April 10th - 5.5 miles
    April 12th - 4.5 miles
    April 14th - 5.4 miles
    April 16th - 5.1 miles

Total: 37.7 miles

exercise.png

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    April Goal 60 miles

4/1: unplanned and unwelcome rest
    4/2: planned rest
    4/3: 3.43
    4/4: 4.44 (no, I didn't plan that.....)
    4/5: work and church and company for dinner...oh my
    4/6: 4.15
    4/7 snorkel 2.5 hrs
    4/8 3.20
    4/9 3.67
    4/10 rest
    4/11 3.86
    4/12 3.29
    4/13 too lazy to move
    4/14: I don't normally post until I have a run to report...but today's 4 hours of snorkeling was too good to not report....turtles and whales and eels and: OCTOPUS!!!! (oh my....)
    4/15 4.76
    4/16 2.76 on the dreadmill after flying all nite HI to Vegas....after a cup of STRONG coffee...

Total 33.56
    (Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date)

exercise.png