April 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift since you are in Princeton technically you don't have an exit. In case you don't know the big joke (at least for people who live outside of Jersey) is that everyone lives off an exit off the garden state parkway, so when you say you are from Jersey people say "what exit?"
    @stoshew71 and his beautiful family followed me from Ocean County NJ to Huntsville Alabama LOL
    @briebee7 Great race - how awesome is it that your mom was there to give you your medal.
    @training2befast - awesome and I agree with someone above - you aren't training you are there!
    @wendy1fl great long run! woohoo
    @sonicdeathmonkey80 - love the McDonald's stop, BTW if you stopped at McDonald's while running next to me and didn't bring me back an egg mcmuffin I would have to trip you LOL
    @mrskgrady awesome job on the 5K

I'm sure I missed people - congrats to everyone this weekend!!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited April 2015
    Options
    4/1 - rest day
    4/2 - 4.4 miles - getting ready for HM on the 12th :smile:
    4/3 - 4.4 miles
    4/4 - rest day
    4/5 - 4.9 mile
    4/6 - 3.48 miles
    4/7 - rest
    4/8 - 3.48 miles
    4/9 - rest
    4/10 - rest
    4/11 - rest
    4/12 - 13.1 miles my first half marathon so excited 2:17.58 14 AG/555 OA
    hit a huge wall at 10.2 miles, my legs were spent, before that I was in front of the 2:15 pace group but I'm so proud of myself, I never stopped running and even had time to stop and hug my Skip at mile 10 :-)
    4/13 - rest
    4/14 - rest again
    4/15 - yep one more rest
    4/16 - legs said one more day (so did the thunder and lightening LOL)
    4/17 - 4.5 miles
    4/18 - 5.6 miles
    4/19 - 4.5 miles
    4/20 - rest
    4/21 - 4.5 miles
    4/22 - where did the day go didn't get out there day :wink:
    4/23 - 4.5 miles
    4/24 - walked Macy 2 miles
    4/25 - 7.4 miles
    4/26 - 4.5 miles with Skip
    4/27 - 4.5 miles - Skip slept in, after running with me yesterday she also went to the Varsity soccer practice even though she plays JV The coach invited any JV player who wanted to go, she was the only one who went. Got herself some Varsity Coach kudos for coming out. :sunglasses:

73.8 mile out of 130 - I'm so never reaching my goal this month.

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Ran the La Jolla half this weekend with my Godson's wife, her first. It was warmer than expected but not too windy. Actually pretty nice conditions. I stayed with her and helped her set a pace initially then towards the end she was not feeling well and we walked all but the last 0.25 to the finish. We still made it right at the time she wanted. It was a good hill workout for me and a really beautiful course. I would like to run it again next year but I won't forget the sunscreen next year - I got so sunburned!
    md23wettaajx.jpg

This ^^^ was mile 5 - all down hill. The big hill on the left in the distance is what we went up to the top of the plateau (~500 ft) and across and then down again. It stopped most runners but the tough one is another hill at mile 12!

pohxdyfczj63.jpg
  • GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift @briebee7 @training2befast (and the rest of y'all awesome racers) - THANK YOU for sharing your race experiences.
    @gabbo34 - Congrats! You responded to my post for help with HM training about a month ago. I took your advice on the HH training, & it seems to be working for me when I'm not sidetracked. Your great finish in Arlington is motivation for me to keep pressing on.
    @sonicdeathmonkey80 - Screenshot of the mapped run route thru McD's is my absolute favorite!

exercise.png

You folks ROCK!! Thanks for inspiring me & making me jealous. My attempts at long (for me) runs have been derailed by school/sporting events; but, I'm still trying to run consistently. Don't know if I'll be ready for a HM as soon as I wanted to be. Now if I can get these kids of mine to let me break in to their chaotic soccer/baseball/swim schedules I'm going to find race, really I am! :)
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Wow! Looks like an awesome view :)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

@kristinegift Congratulations on your half. I am originally from NJ. What exit are ya? :-)
    I grew up in Union County, lived in Bayonne for a bit, moved down to Eatontown, then Brick before moving to Alabama.

No idea what exit I am! But I live in Princeton. I moved out here just last September for grad school :) Pretty sure I drove through Eatontown yesterday (but then again I could be mistaken as my NJ geography is awful).

I did a quick lookup on your race. Sounds like a nice route. Not only did you have to drive through Eatontown (Exit 105 off the GSP) but you ran through the back side of my old work site (Ft. Monmouth).

Princeton is exit 67 off I-295 (from the south) or exit 8 from the Turnpike for those coming from the North.

I remember we used to have our State Wrestling Finals in Jadwin Gym in Priceton back in my day.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Congrats @shanaber. Nice medal.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Great job @shanaber looks so beautiful!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Wow - super popular race weekend. Congrats to all race finishers (especially the full @briebee7 and half marathoners @SonicDeathMonkey80 @Training2BeFast @shanaber @gabbo34 and @kristinegift).

Final 8 mile taper "long" run yesterday. Quiet week ahead for me until I fly north and race my full on Sunday alongside a few of you in the 'burgh.

4/1 - 8 miles
    4/2 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 8 miles
    4/5 - 20 miles
    4/7 - 5 miles
    4/8 - 8 miles
    4/9 - 5 miles
    4/12 - 20 miles
    4/14 - 5 miles
    4/15 - 8 miles
    4/16 - 6 miles
    4/18 - 4 miles
    4/19 - 12 miles
    4/21 - 4 miles
    4/22 - 5 miles
    4/23 - 4 miles
    4/25 - 3 miles
    4/26 - 8 miles

Total: 138 miles
    Goal: 145 miles
    Remaining: 7 miles
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Ran the La Jolla half this weekend with my Godson's wife, her first. It was warmer than expected but not too windy. Actually pretty nice conditions. I stayed with her and helped her set a pace initially then towards the end she was not feeling well and we walked all but the last 0.25 to the finish. We still made it right at the time she wanted. It was a good hill workout for me and a really beautiful course. I would like to run it again next year but I won't forget the sunscreen next year - I got so sunburned!
    md23wettaajx.jpg

This ^^^ was mile 5 - all down hill. The big hill on the left in the distance is what we went up to the top of the plateau (~500 ft) and across and then down again. It stopped most runners but the tough one is another hill at mile 12!

pohxdyfczj63.jpg

Good stuff! I have two friends who were pacing out there (1:35 and 1:50). I ran AFC last year :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    1 - 12mi, intervals
    2 - 6mi, easy
    3 - 8mi, easy w/strides
    4 - 10mi, easy
    5 - 20mi, long run
    6 - 5mi, easy
    7 - 7mi, intervals
    8 - Rest
    9 - 8mi, easy
    10 - 6mi, easy w/strides
    11 - 6mi, easy
    12 - 14mi, easy
    13 - 5mi, easy
    14 - 6mi, intervals
    15 - 4mi, easy
    16 - Rest
    17 - 3mi, easy
    18 - 26.3mi, Carmel Marathon
    19 - Rest
    20 - Rest
    21 - Rest
    22 - 4mi, easy
    23 - 6mi, easy
    24 - Rest
    25 - 13.1mi, easy
    26 - 6.1mi, easy
    27 - 6mi, easy w/pickups

6x20sec pickups at 10K-ish pace.

Total: 181.9mi

April goal: 197mi
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all those who participated in a race this past weekend. Awesome!

4/27 3 miles
    exercise.png
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    SonicDeathM..great effort, Maniac!! Wooo!!! Everyone is doing great and spring is in the air (most places)
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    4/1--4.51 miles(treadmill)
    4/2--strength training
    4/3--3.25miles(treadmill)
    4/4--6.04 miles outside
    4/5--rest day
    4/6--3.09 miles(treadmill)
    4/7--strength training
    4/8--4.3 miles outside
    4/9--rest day
    4/10-3.21 miles outside
    4/11-7.65 miles outside
    4/12-rest day
    4/13-bike & 10 plus minutes stretching-surprisingly, my knees feel so much better.
    4/14-3.25 miles outside
    4/17-3.29 miles(treadmill)
    4/19-6.2(Linking Hands 10K/5K-came in second in my age group! How about that? 1:08:05 First 10K ever!)
    4/20-4.1 miles outside(got a running buddy!)
    4/21-rest day
    4/22-4.89 miles outside(with new running buddy)
    4/23-rest day
    4/24-rest day
    4/25-8.5 miles
    4/26-rest day
    4/27-4.15 miles(perfect weather)

Surpassed my goal and I have one more day to run for this month.

exercise.png
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »
    Great job on the mileage this weekend. Just be careful pushing personal distance records on back to back days. Ramping up mileage in a short period of time without recovery can be a recipe for an overuse injury. (Have have a t-shirt for doing that at the end of the November challenge. :smiley: )

Thank you for pointing this out, I had not thought of putting myself at risk. I shall err on the side of caution and back off the distance for a bit. Does anyone have an article or good personal experience regarding the rate one should be increasing their distance? I have been told that as long as I don't exceed 10% of my record I would be ok, but I didn't think of the danger of increasing my distance record two days in a row.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

@kristinegift Congratulations on your half. I am originally from NJ. What exit are ya? :-)
    I grew up in Union County, lived in Bayonne for a bit, moved down to Eatontown, then Brick before moving to Alabama.

No idea what exit I am! But I live in Princeton. I moved out here just last September for grad school :) Pretty sure I drove through Eatontown yesterday (but then again I could be mistaken as my NJ geography is awful).

I did a quick lookup on your race. Sounds like a nice route. Not only did you have to drive through Eatontown (Exit 105 off the GSP) but you ran through the back side of my old work site (Ft. Monmouth).

Princeton is exit 67 off I-295 (from the south) or exit 8 from the Turnpike for those coming from the North.

I remember we used to have our State Wrestling Finals in Jadwin Gym in Priceton back in my day.
    @kristinegift since you are in Princeton technically you don't have an exit. In case you don't know the big joke (at least for people who live outside of Jersey) is that everyone lives off an exit off the garden state parkway, so when you say you are from Jersey people say "what exit?"

I'm sure I missed people - congrats to everyone this weekend!!!

This poor Princetonian is learning so many Jersey things today!

• kristinegift
    Options
    4/1: 5 miles
    4/2: 7 miles
    4/3: 4.2 miles
    4/4: REST!
    4/5: 18 miles
    4/6: 4 miles
    4/7: XT rowing and biking
    4/8: 5 miles
    4/9: 10 miles
    4/10: 3.1 miles
    4/11: 8.5 miles
    4/12: REST
    4/13: 6 miles
    4/14: Rest
    4/15: 6.2 miles
    4/16: 8 miles
    4/17: 6 miles
    4/18: REST (Actually, hiking with a friend)
    4/19: 3 miles (with same friend)
    4/20: REST (rain today, but nice for running Tues-Fri)
    4/21: 5 miles
    4/22: 5 miles
    4/23: 6.4 miles
    4/24: 4.5 miles
    4/26: 13.2 miles
    4/27: 4 miles -- real stiff in the quads! :(

Total: 132.1 of 130 miles --> GOAL ACHIEVED!

exercise.png
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Great job on the mileage this weekend. Just be careful pushing personal distance records on back to back days. Ramping up mileage in a short period of time without recovery can be a recipe for an overuse injury. (Have have a t-shirt for doing that at the end of the November challenge. :smiley: )

Thank you for pointing this out, I had not thought of putting myself at risk. I shall err on the side of caution and back off the distance for a bit. Does anyone have an article or good personal experience regarding the rate one should be increasing their distance? I have been told that as long as I don't exceed 10% of my record I would be ok, but I didn't think of the danger of increasing my distance record two days in a row.

I think the 10% rule applies to weekly mileage...with the idea being you shouldn't increase your overall weekly mileage by more than 10%.

It's really hard to do when you're ramping up mileage. I know in my case I felt fine adding miles...so I jumped up quickly over a period of a couple of weeks and ended up sidelined for awhile.

@kristinegift - You're amazing! A day after a HM and you're out running....my legs are absolutely shot today!
  • kristinegift
    edited April 2015
    Options

@kristinegift - You're amazing! A day after a HM and you're out running....my legs are absolutely shot today!

Haha, thanks! The HM is just part of marathon training, so gotta keep on truckin'! Though to be fair, I was a bit sore after actually pushing myself in the race yesterday. Hope you're run-ready again soon!
  • johnsonnelly
    johnsonnelly Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    April 1 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    April 2 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    April 3rd, 4th, and 5th - Travel/Rest
    April 6 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    April 7 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    April 8th & 9th - Travel
    April 10 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    April 11th-16th - House remodel and no time to run. :(
    April 17 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    April 18th - 21st - Painting every hour that I did not work.
    April 22 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    April 23rd -25th - House remodel
    April 26 - 3.1 miles (5k)
    April 27 - 2.1 miles (early run...will run again)

exercise.png