April 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm still a beginner but I'm trying to get my mileage up to 20mi a week in April. Did 16mi last week. :)

Great goal! I'm trying to up my weekly mileage up to 20 as well. I find if I rely on running after work I always miss my target. Life always gets in the way. The key for me is to do the morning runs. Its hard this time of year though because I so enjoy running in the warm sun.

Good luck.
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    week 6 of 1/2 marathon training in the books. added another 12 for the month.
    :)
    exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - Clearwater Beach. At least until yesterday (snowbird between there and Pittsburgh).

Nice cooler 5 miler through the woods here. Legs are starting to remember what hills feel like though as Florida bridges don't quite replicate the real thing.

4/1 - 8 miles
    4/2 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 8 miles
    4/5 - 20 miles
    4/7 - 5 miles
    4/8 - 8 miles
    4/9 - 5 miles
    4/12 - 20 miles (3/1 run)
    4/14 - 5 miles

Total: 84 miles
    Goal: 145 miles
    Remaining: 61 miles
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    4/13 5.83 miles slow & easy
    4/12 5 miles speed intervals 1:15 fast, 1:45 slow 1st 3 miles, then slow last 2 miles.
    4/10 8 miles in 1:17 – pace 9:62; I took 13 minutes off my last 8 miler!
    4/8 2.63 miles – Doomsday Hill twice up & down - Pace 10:00 minute miles
    4/7 2 miles – Hilly trail run
    4/4 7.46 miles on 1 hr, 15 minutes (Bloomsday Course)
    4/3 4 miles speed intervals 1:10 fast, 1:50 slow.
    4/2 2.5 Miles - I dunno pace because the Garmin is broken again. Grr. But I do know it was slow.
    4/1 7.46 miles Pace – 10:00
    Total:44.88; 39.12 to go

exercise.png
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    skinnyby31 wrote: »

exercise.png

Did my fastest km ever yesterday. Sill probably very slow in comparison to the majority of runners but it felt great.
    I can't compare my time to anything but what I did the last time I ran that distance. If I look at other runners' I would have given up months ago! Congratulations on your personal improvement; that's the only kind that counts!!! :blush:
  • jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    April 9- 6km
    April 13- 6km
    April 14- 6km
    Total: 18km Goal:54km
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @SonicDeathMonkey80 , @Stoshew71 and @skippygirlsmom: great races, all of you! Everytime I see race photos I'm impressed at how happy and full of joy people look when they finish a race.
    Makes me thing that maybe one day I'll jump over my own shadow and sign up for a race myself...

@cooter_mom : now I wonder where your mind went with the body glide! I just decided I need some of that magic stuff to test if it helps on the inside of the thighs in summer. Once I put it into the shopping basket, amazon suggested a few interestesting "you might also want to buy"-articles - maybe the same direction where your mind went? :p

@Ohhim: cool run through the woods sounds wonderful
  • _nikkiwolf_
    Options
    Just uploaded the data of todays run to my running logs (I use two - can't decide which I like best...).
    I've noticed before that runningahead and Strava are a little different - I think Strava both "smoothes" the gps tracks a bit and "autocorrects" for stopping in place, while runningahead leaves them "as is".
    Usually I don't care too much, but since today I set out with the ambition to finish 5km in less than 32 minutes, it actually makes a difference this time. Strava still reports a new PR for 5 km, but with 32:13 - which is odd, since the pace breakdown it lists for the kms is 6:37, 6:04, 6:32, 6:28, 6:09, which in my mind adds up to 31:50.
    runningahead gives somewhat different splits (6:19 + 6:04 + 6:47 + 6:28 + 6:06), which would add up to 31:44.

I was really happy when the watch vibrated to report 5km done, and when I looked at it some seconds later it said 31:52. But now I'm not sure it the correction strava does might make it more realistic that the watch...

Long story short: what do you guys think - can I celebrate reaching the "sub 32-minute 5k"-milestone, or not?

--
    14.04.2015 - 6.5 km

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I don't use either program so I can't help you there. Either way awesome time! Sign up for a 5K you are so ready...beyond ready. Once you do the first time you'll be hooked.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »

exercise.png

Did my fastest km ever yesterday. Sill probably very slow in comparison to the majority of runners but it felt great.
    I can't compare my time to anything but what I did the last time I ran that distance. If I look at other runners' I would have given up months ago! Congratulations on your personal improvement; that's the only kind that counts!!! :blush:

^^^ where is the love button when you need it. The thing about running is it's all about you against you, at least that is the way I look at it. So Stoshew71 and I ran the same half this past weekend, he finished far enough in front of me that he was probably sitting having lunch while I was still running. So what? I'm happy for him, I know he's happy for me. 554 people finished in front of me about 500 finished behind me, but guess what we all ran the same 13.1 miles and we should all be proud whether it was a 90 min race or a 3 hour race.
  • skinnyby31
    skinnyby31 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wendy1Fl wrote: »

exercise.png

Thank you! We were faster again today so we're flying.
  • skinnyby31
    skinnyby31 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I don't drive to a running spot very often but when I do I cover my seat and seat back with a towel and wipe it all down when I get home.

I don't always drive to a running spot..but when I do, its with this guy.
    klyj.jpg

Stay Sweaty, My friends

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    75 miles again for me, but this time I'm only counting the miles I run. Walking miles are just a bonus.

exercise.png
    4/1 - 3 miles - total: 3 miles
    4/3 - 4 miles - total: 7 miles
    4/6 - 7.5 miles - total 14.5 miles
    4/7 - 7 miles - total 21.5 miles
    4/8 - 6.2 miles - total 27.7 miles
    4/9 - 4.75 miles - total 32.45
    4/11 - 7.5 miles - total 39.95

Amendment: If I walk a total of less than 5 minutes out of 90, I'm not going to try to take the walk breaks back out of my mileage total.

4/12 - 4.5 miles - total 44.45

Another amendment: I can't differentiate running time and walking time when I run outdoors, so I'm counting the whole thing. I think I prefer the treadmill, overall.

4/13 - 7 miles - total 51.45
    4/14 - 2 miles - total 53.45

• _nikkiwolf_
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Thanks for the encouragement! flowersmh.gif

I don't know why I the idea of signing up for a race makes me hesitate so much. Well, maybe because when we had to run in school I always came in last, no matter how hard I tried, and got a "barely sufficient" rating from the teacher... At least now, if I finish last in a race, I guess I still get a medal instead of depressing comments, right? Plus as my first race it would be guaranteed to be a PR :)

So I've decided togive it a try. I just spent the last ~2 hours looking for 5k races that are not too far away and at a day where I have time - and I actually found one just next Sunday! I signed up right away before I get a chance to change my mind, and now I'm super excited!
    Now I have to go and read all the "how to prepare for your first race" postings I can find. ^^
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

I don't know why I the idea of signing up for a race makes me hesitate so much. Well, maybe because when we had to run in school I always came in last, no matter how hard I tried, and got a "barely sufficient" rating from the teacher... At least now, if I finish last in a race, I guess I still get a medal instead of depressing comments, right? Plus as my first race it would be guaranteed to be a PR :)

So I've decided togive it a try. I just spent the last ~2 hours looking for 5k races that are not too far away and at a day where I have time - and I actually found one just next Sunday! I signed up right away before I get a chance to change my mind, and now I'm super excited!
    Now I have to go and read all the "how to prepare for your first race" postings I can find. ^^

I am thrilled for you! You have an opportunity to redefine "race" on your terms for the rest of your life! Power! :) I wish you all the best for a joyful run!
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Yay! You're going to do awesome!
    @Elise4270 and everybody else, I swear to you, body glide is worth it's weight in gold. I can't speak to it's usefulness in, ahem, less innocent situations, but it makes a difference when running!

I had a really crappy day involving broken down vehicles, missed Overhead Press reps (grr) and being scolded by a bakery manager for buying an "unhealthy lunch" (which seems weird, seeing as he sells pastries for a living...) so I went for one of those weird ranting, angry runs where I just allow myself to think all the terrible *kitten* I normally don't dwell on. The first two miles were pretty ugly and it felt like everyone was giving me the side eye. But, as they do, the endorphins took over at 2.5 and I was smiling and waving at random strangers and choosing to run up extra hills and what not.
    Brains are weird.

4.1 today
    32.2 for the month.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    In for 50 miles!
    April 1st - 3.5 miles
    April 4th - 3.9 miles
    April 6th - 4.3 miles
    April 8th - 5.5 miles
    April 10th - 5.5 miles
    April 12th - 4.5 miles
    April 14th - 5.4 miles

Total: 32.6 miles

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    RunTimer wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    I don't drive to a running spot very often but when I do I cover my seat and seat back with a towel and wipe it all down when I get home.

I don't always drive to a running spot..but when I do, its with this guy.
    klyj.jpg

Stay Sweaty, My friends
    Hahahahahaha - love it!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options

@_nikkiwolf_ - I was also the kid who came in last. I had corrective shoes and could barely run they were so heavy and it was so embarrassing. I am pretty sure it was why I grew up hating to run :(
    WhooHoo on entering the race!! The good news is even if you came in last (you won't) you will still get a race PR and a medal and maybe even a t-shirt for entering! Go and have a great time!! If you have a friend to run with you get them to sign up too or make new friends at the starting line.
    There are lots of great articles on RunnersWorld.com for prepping and planning for different race distances. My only advice is don't try anything new (foods, drinks, shoes, socks, shirt, hat, etc.) the night before or day of the race and just have fun!!
    We will all be rooting for you!!