April 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »
    @teacton11 - how old your kids that you can get a 10 miler in with them in the double stroller? I rarely run with the double anymore (mine are 2 & 5) and even when younger I always maxed out at about 6 with the double BOB.

Oldest son will be 3 in July and his younger brother just turned 7 months.

Oldest loves watching me race and is excited whenever I can bring him home a medal, wears it for the rest of the day and runs around with it (kinda makes me push harder when I race cause I love seeing that face when I can hand him something.) It is easier to go with him bc he feels he is part of it when I take him on runs. He "wants to go fast." Worst case scenario is I pull up some saved videos on my phone and let him watch when he looses his patience.

Younger is rather tricky. He is a bit of a sleeper but got to get him fully topped off and time it when he is most likely to nap. He usually falls asleep but sometimes he will just look around and enjoy the scenery. Of course we have those days where me or my wife will end up having to take him out and walk with him a bit while the other circles around or we call it a day.

We are just excited bc his pediatrician said he was strong enough to sit in the running stroller last month which means quality time with each other on a run. And yeah, Bobs are the only way to go.

No way I could ever take the youngest without two of us though. I'm not the brave. I just got lucky bc my wife is a runner as well (she actually got me into it.) Her last marathon she placed 4th age group while pregnant so yeah, she's kinda awesome and keeps me on my toes.

• cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I may have to try the body glide. Or nipple guard. Maybe pasties with tassels! Ha....sorry my mind just took off with that one. I can just see it now......I may need bail money.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @elise4270 it was my daughter that got me running, she was the runner, I was the watcher until she bet me I couldn't run a 5K. Say what? That was all it took.

@cooter_mom could it be your bra wasn't tight enough and the girls were bouncing inside the bra? I am also on the Board of the itty bitty club so I don't need major support but I don't the little girls to be moving in my bra either. Sometimes it's not about support but having the right cup size. Great job on that 10K time too!

Skip had me laughing last night, she said Momma I saw more nipples waiting for you to finish. I was like "excuse me, why were nipples waiting for me ;-) ?" She said some of the big girls need to find thicker bras, it's not a good look in your finish line photos. OMG that child. She's also a matching running outfit snob, even her earrings need to match her top. She was taking pictures of people whose outfits had her laughing. She's like honestly strips do NOT go with flowered pants.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @cooter_mom its hard to have a nip conversation without it going there!

@skippygirlsmom to funny! I need one of those thicker bras! Maybe some nursing pads?lol!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

4.10.15- 3 (very slow) miles Deadmill
    4.13.15- 2 miles -17 minutes-

that's a complete guess based on my outside run times- I ran for 17 and change- I'm assuming a 2 mile run- but my phone is completely and utterly dead- so no way to guess and I wasn't running where I normally do. Oh well.

It is what it is. No lifting today which pisses me off- but these things happen.

5 of 40 potential miles- I'm just not seeing it this month considering it's already half way through the month and I'm like- barely started. Oh well- set a goal and strive for it the best you can- that's all that matters.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am pretty good about checking in here but between late last night and this afternoon there were 45 updates here!! Goodness! Have to say I read through them and was laughing so hard!
    @cooter_mom - we will take up a collection for your bail :smiley: I am also a board member in itty bitty - could probably be president and have not had any issues. I do wear pretty tight sports bras to protect what I do have though!
    @briebee7, @skippygirlsmom and @Elise4270 - my daughter runs when she has time which isn't often. She completed a triathlon and we ran a 10k together in Seattle. I love running with her when we are together but it is tough because we live too far apart. We do have fun shopping for running clothes when we are together :)
    @skippygirlsmom - love your girl, Skip and her observations and wisdom! I saw a hat or t-shirt once with something like 'If found on ground please drag over finish line' :smile: Also your BF is awesome!
    @ddmom0811 - I look at runners here and wonder what they were thinking going for a run in the afternoon when it is 95 but also with of respect that they can and are running when it is hot (I would die!). I definitely watch people now in the gym who have terrible form and wonder how long before they seriously hurt themselves, that is all my trainer's fault though!
    @Elise4270 - I thought (as did my trainer) that I was around 24-25% BF until I had it tested and it came back at 29%! I was really upset so now I am trying to get it down although I am not convinced that I even know how to go about that. I am also not much of a carb eater and find that I am much happier and satiated with more protein, but I run better if I eat more carbs.
    @Wendy1Fl - you are tearing it up! Awesome!! I love that you took 13 minutes off your last 8 miler time!
  • shanaber
    Options
    skinnyby31 wrote: »

exercise.png

Did my fastest km ever yesterday. Sill probably very slow in comparison to the majority of runners but it felt great.

Comparison is the thief of joy. Good job :)
    @SonicDeathMonkey80 - love this ^^^

@skinnyby31 - there are runners here of all levels and abilities, some are faster and some are slower but it doesn't matter because your times are yours alone and someone will likely always be faster/slower than you. We are here to share our love of running and appreciate each others accomplishments! Great job on your PR!!

• LittleMiss1D10
    LittleMiss1D10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know I;m pretty late for this month, but can I still join :)

[/img] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGurnUY/exercise.png [/img]
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    @LittleMiss1D10 , show us the money!!!
    drop the slash [/] from your first IMG code so we can ooh and ahh at your ticker!

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    4/1: 5 miles
    4/2: 7 miles
    4/3: 4.2 miles
    4/4: REST!
    4/5: 18 miles
    4/6: 4 miles
    4/7: XT rowing and biking
    4/8: 5 miles
    4/9: 10 miles
    4/10: 3.1 miles
    4/11: 8.5 miles
    4/12: REST
    4/13: 6 miles
    Current total: 70.8 miles
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    4/13 3 miles Felt pretty great today. I think I need to set an alarm on my phone to foam roll regularly. I seem to run better after remembering to do that.
    exercise.png
  • jtarmom
    jtarmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 3.44 miles
    4/3 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 5 miles
    4/6 - 4 miles
    4/8 - 3 miles
    4/10 - 3.5 miles
    4/12 - 8 miles
    4/13 - 3.5 miles

3.5 in the rain

exercise.png[\img]
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @shanaber oh man! I think I may cry over the bf%! Few years ago work had mine calculated at 32% and called me obese at 130lbs. I'm just under that now, but much leaner (I hope).

I'm not sure how to go about it either. Give up saturated fats, and run your butt off. I guess.

I noticed our own Jason ( @Stoshew71 ) Fitzgerald has training plans. I may go that route after I have a gait analysis done and see where I am on the back issue after a CT.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @elise4270 - I pretty much felt the same way in fact I did cry :(. I had lost so much weight and worked so hard to get fit and stronger and then was told I was still obese even though I was right at the weight the doctor wanted me at. I am now lower (about 5lbs) so it will be interesting to see what change it has made if any, when I go back for another measurement later in the summer.
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Great motivation for my first 5k May 2nd (first that I hope to actually run and not walk anyway). I'm a newbie and just finished the C25k program the first week in March. Gonna try to log 35 running miles in April. The term 'running' is questionable for me ... more like 'jogging' ... but I'll keep trying to get faster.

4/3: 3.88 mi
    4/4: 3.57 mi
    4/5: 3.72 mi
    4/7: 3.81 mi
    4/8: 1.25 mi (quick stop by the park after Zumba)
    4/9: 4.37 mi
    4/11: 6.72 mi
    4/12: 4.67 mi

Current Total: 31.99 miles

• rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

Skip had me laughing last night, she said Momma I saw more nipples waiting for you to finish. I was like "excuse me, why were nipples waiting for me ;-) ?" She said some of the big girls need to find thicker bras, it's not a good look in your finish line photos. OMG that child. She's also a matching running outfit snob, even her earrings need to match her top. She was taking pictures of people whose outfits had her laughing. She's like honestly strips do NOT go with flowered pants.

OMG that is too funny! She is a riot!
    I'm with her on matching outfits. Some mornings I will throw on anything since it's dark and I rarely see anyone but if it's daylight or I laid out my running clothes the day before, it's all matching! Even the ribbons in my hair. :) BF is too sweet! I bet you can't wait till he gets back!

@cooter_mom - oh man, I've not had that issue. Sounds awful! I also think your sports bra isn't tight enough. You have to squish them down even more. I'm in the club as well. :wink:

We DO need a LIKE button on here! I, too, am overwhelmed with wanting to congratulate everyone but I can't remember it all!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    cooter_mom wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I may have to try the body glide. Or nipple guard. Maybe pasties with tassels! Ha....sorry my mind just took off with that one. I can just see it now......I may need bail money.

A little trick I learned from @CodeMonkey78 Just take the cheapest under arm deodorant you can find and use that over the nips. Same thing pretty much and much cheaper than the Body Glide.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I noticed our own Jason ( @Stoshew71 ) Fitzgerald has training plans. I may go that route after I have a gait analysis done and see where I am on the back issue after a CT.

I have training plans posted somewhere? lol
    I can certainly help out in the way of increasing miles, but I don't have any official plans published anywhere unless you look at my Strava history. Or scroll backwards in time in these challenges until December 2013. lol
  • Stoshew71
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for April
    4/1 6.2 miles - 6.2
    4/2 5.35 miles - 11.55
    4/3 REST DAY (TAPER)
    4/4 13.1 miles - 24.65 <<< Oak Barrel HM in Lynchburg, TN (1:44:13)
    4/5 REST DAY
    4/6 10.5 miles - 35.15
    4/7 REST DAY (also travel day as I am in Md this week)
    4/8 5 miles - 40.15
    4/9 4.2 miles - 44.35
    4/10 REST DAY/TAPER
    4/11 REST DAY/TAPER
    4/12 13.2 - 57.55 <<< Bridge Street HM (1:39:26 PR - 53 OA, 5 AG)
    4/13 REST DAY
    4/14 6 miles - 63.55

exercise.png