April 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @mobuckl , @skippygirlsmom and @SonicDeathMonkey80 - looks like you all had a great race!
  • karllundy
    Options
    @Stoshew71 fantastic job as always! You amaze me all the time!
  • karllundy
    Options
    4/1 - Nice 3.1 miles on indoor track
    4/2 - Brutal 4.75 miles of "hilly" treadmill
    4/4 - 10 miles, nice mix of hills
    4/6 - 4 miles on indoor track
    4/8 - 4 miles on indoor track (33:16...pretty speedy for me)
    4/9 - Another hot, humid 5 miles on a "hilly" treadmill (Total 30.85/110)
    4/10 - 4 miles on indoor track
    4/12 - 11 miles, on the windy side, but otherwise nice
    4/13 - 2 recovery miles - maybe should have skipped it...ouch!
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on all the HM this weekend! You guys make it look easy ;)

I completed my first trail run, at night. Was crazy trying to find your way even with lighted markers, almost full moon and a headlamp. Only completely wiped out once. Tripped and caught myself after 20 feet of stummbleing twice and ran off the trail twice. But I did manage to miss most of the mud so thats a win :)
    They still don't have official times out yet but I finished in the top half somewhere. My watch time was 29:37.

exercise.png

April 2 – 3.13 mi
    April 4 – 6.31 mi
    April 7 – 3.23 mi
    April 8 – 3.25 mi
    April 10 – 3.25 – 5k Glow Run. Running at night, through the woods. Good time :)
    April 11 – 4.09 mi
    April 12 – 4.27 mi

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Reading all your posts and seeing all your great photos is really making me want to run, even though it's not a run day for me. So motivational :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    So behind on this thread... but it makes me SO mad when people don't have their dogs on leashes. It's the law for a reason.

I'll help resurrect this topic, too.

Yesterday, some girl had her retriever off leash on a very very busy section of the local bike path. She wasn't paying any attention to it and it ran right in front of a passing bike, came within inches of causing an accident that could have seriously hurt both parties. She just said "oh sorry" and kept walking, didn't even attempt to get the dog under control. I stopped my bike and told her to put the dog back on its leash because she was going to hurt someone. Imagine if that cyclist had been a young kid, rather than a grown man who knew what he was doing?!
    People are so dumb sometimes.

You know- I find myself wondering (regularly) can people be that dumb???

Then you know- the human species is mighty impressive- and ingenuity- because damned if you don't know it- they go and prove me wrong- and do something even DUMBER.

What's really bad is the dog on a long leash and the owner is absorbed in his/her phone and let's the dog launch at you. Then I'm expected to be civil?

I love people like this, especially when I'm cycling and they're on one side of the trail and the dog is on the other. Who doesn't love being clotheslined by a St. Bernard every now and then?
    Good times.

And Jo- we used to trail ride through a local park where the trail was clearly marked "horses only"- not even a mixed use trail. Can't even tell you how many times I had an off leash dog spook the horses. Some of the owners even had the audacity to tell us we weren't supposed to be there. Like, what do you think a horse is, pal?

good lord. just can't.

• GrannyCrayCray
    GrannyCrayCray Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    4/1 5.4
    4/2 Strength
    4/3 6.2
    4/4 4.5
    4/5 Eggcellent Easter Rest
    4/6 4.1
    4/7 4.7 and Strength
    4/8 0
    4/9 1.8 and Strength
    4/10 3.4
    4/11 9
    4/12 Swim B)
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    April 8 - 3 miles
    April 10 - 2.54 miles
    April 12 - 3.19 miles

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    @Pandora_and_her_box - I have a difficult time with rest days in general and reading about everyone else's running makes it even worse for me! It is an addiction :)
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    3/30 - 7 Mi easy
    3/31 - 10 Mi steady state
    4/1 - 6 Mi recovery
    4/2 - 7 Mi steady state
    4/3 - 4 Mi easy double stroller
    4/4 - 22 Mi long
    4/4 - Rest
    56 mile week (39 in April)

4/6 - 7 Mi easy
    4/7 - 10 Mi steady state
    4/8 - 6 Mi easy double stroller
    4/9 - 11 Mi easy
    4/10 - 7 Mi easy
    4/11 -10 Mi easy double stroller
    4/12 - Rest
    51 mile week

90/200 total

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Pandora_and_her_box - I have a difficult time with rest days in general and reading about everyone else's running makes it even worse for me! It is an addiction :)

Same here. I know I should rest today.. But No run=no extra calories. Maybe I can swim if it doesn't storm today.

Long drive to doc appointment tomorrow, so not likely to run tomorrow either. Perhaps I'll disapline myself in to getting up early..

Any one tried Matt Fitzgerald's cookbook? I'm thinking about it. I'd really like to get a bit leaner. What's everyone's/anyone's ideal body fat % or do your have a goal? I think I'd like to be 20-22%. Guessing I'm 24-26% currently.
  • millermkarate
    millermkarate Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

April 1 - 6k
    April 2 - 5.5k
    April 4 - 4k
    April 8 - 4k
    April 9 - 6.5k
    April 10 - 4k
    April 11 - 7k Awesome day for a run. Take that 7k.
    April 13 - 6k
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Rest day today :-)

Thanks again everyone for the congrats. I'm still so excited, my boss cracked up when I walked in his office this morning with my medal on. LOL I was like what? oh you like my new necklace :smile: . @italysharon it was great to see Skip, I almost got hit by the car running over to her...duh I forgot one lane of traffic was still going in the direction we were. Can you imagine "local woman's dream of running half marathon ends when she runs in front of a car and is squished with 3 miles left" oh my! I hope they would drag me to the finish line.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom great going, gotta love that high! When's the next one? :#
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 It's my rest day, too. I'm itching to go do something already.

I have Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald and found it really helpful, except for his mind boggling pseudo-clean eating points system that is supposed to be easier than calorie counting. The rest of the book is great...
    I've heard the cookbook is pretty solid. the man loves his carbs, so I'm a fan.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 It's my rest day, too. I'm itching to go do something already.

I have Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald and found it really helpful, except for his mind boggling pseudo-clean eating points system that is supposed to be easier than calorie counting. The rest of the book is great...
    I've heard the cookbook is pretty solid. the man loves his carbs, so I'm a fan.

I've dabbled with the DQS point system. I like it okay. I'm not a big carb eater, I don't think I am at least. I usually crave protein. If I want something sweet, berries or a banana is fine. But that's usually with protein powder.

I suppose when you log crazy miles you can do the carbs. I'm still afraid of them. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    4/12 5 miles speed intervals 1:15 fast, 1:45 slow 1st 3 miles, then slow last 2 miles.
    4/10 8 miles in 1:17 – pace 9:62; I took 13 minutes off my last 8 miler!
    4/8 2.63 miles – Doomsday Hill twice up & down - Pace 10:00 minute miles
    4/7 2 miles – Hilly trail run
    4/4 7.46 miles on 1 hr, 15 minutes (Bloomsday Course)
    4/3 4 miles speed intervals 1:10 fast, 1:50 slow.
    4/2 2.5 Miles - I dunno pace because the Garmin is broken again. Grr. But I do know it was slow.
    4/1 7.46 miles Pace – 10:00
    Total: 39.05; 44.95 to go

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Rest day today :-)

Thanks again everyone for the congrats. I'm still so excited, my boss cracked up when I walked in his office this morning with my medal on. LOL I was like what? oh you like my new necklace :smile: . @italysharon it was great to see Skip, I almost got hit by the car running over to her...duh I forgot one lane of traffic was still going in the direction we were. Can you imagine "local woman's dream of running half marathon ends when she runs in front of a car and is squished with 3 miles left" oh my! I hope they would drag me to the finish line.

LOL - both the necklace and the potential news story!

I have trouble with rest days as well, like several of you stated, when you read about the runs in here, you want to do it too.

Does anyone look enviously at runners you pass when driving? I do! Ridiculous, I know! But especially on days I didn't run in the morning. Also, ever since I took the Good Form running class I study everyone's form (as if I'm some expert, lol).

• karllundy
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

Does anyone look enviously at runners you pass when driving? I do! Ridiculous, I know! But especially on days I didn't run in the morning.

ALL THE TIME! Especially when the weather is nice. Because of my schedule, I usually have to run / workout early in the morning. So, when I drive around in the afternoon on a nice day, I totally want to park my car and run along.