Eating brekky makes me hungry all day!

Options
13»

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Drop a few 100 pounds by getting a divorce. It does amazing things for your self esteem. :)
    wat?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. I guess I should have made the exercise part the forefront. I can't speak for everyone because I don't know your exercise habits, but I know what works for me. Consequently, it should work for people like me. If you are working out hard 3+ days a week and lead a rather active lifestyle day to day other than that then I think my advice is sound. For someone that struggles with exercise and is trying to drop every last calorie possible, sure, skip breakfast.

If you are trying to fuel a fitness machine, however, I wouldn't skip it!!!

BeachGingerOn, I don't doubt you at all. You are a great example. I am willing to bet you are under your calorie goal and hitting your macros pretty well either way. The timing of the meals is not a make it or break it thing by any means, but I still stand by what i said. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah... I am bowing out of this one. Maybe you can correct the error in my ways or offer something substantive instead of being a ****.

Just read the articles. There is so much B.S. out there that you can easily get buried in it.

Meal timing is a myth. There is no reason that you have to eat 6 meals a day, or even 3 meals a day. There are guys that are successful eating just 1 very large meal a day. I don't eat breakfast when I'm cutting because I just am not hungry until about noon. I run 4 to 5 days a week and I lift 4 days a week. I'd call that active, particularly when it's in addition to my daily routine.

My only point to the OP, is to do what works for you and if you're not hungry for breakfast and it helps you meet your calorie goals, then go with it.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yessir!

P.S. If you are hungry that means your body is processing food and your metabolism is working. FEED IT!

So you're saying if I wake up and I'm not hungry I should force feed myself because my metabolism somehow miraculously shut itself off while I was sleeping? :huh:

No. Someone can't read sarcasm. Your body isn't an engine that needs revving or a furnace that needs to be stoked. If people ate every time they were hungry, well, it's obvious. Look around.

I was agreeing with you :wink: See my other post in this thread.

I know. I was trying to clarify that too. We're good.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yessir!

P.S. If you are hungry that means your body is processing food and your metabolism is working. FEED IT!

So you're saying if I wake up and I'm not hungry I should force feed myself because my metabolism somehow miraculously shut itself off while I was sleeping? :huh:

No, but if you aren't hungry when you wake up (or within an hour of getting up), I would take a look at what you are eating at night. You don't need a big intake of calories before bed, so after a full nights rest your body should be ready for food again.

My post was sarcasm... sigh. I don't eat breakfast, as my first post in this thread stated. My "Food" tab says: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner 1, Dinner 2, Snacks. Breakfast probably 29 of 30/31 days is empty, while the other ones are filled, but I leave it there for the odd occasion I do feel the need to eat it. I typically eat when I get into work, my dinner break, when I get home, and before bed. I also eat between 1,500-2,000 calories a day and am still losing weight :noway:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Yessir!

No, but if you aren't hungry when you wake up (or within an hour of getting up), I would take a look at what you are eating at night. You don't need a big intake of calories before bed, so after a full nights rest your body should be ready for food again.

I eat 1200-1500 calories within an hour of going to bed (2000 when bulking) Most of he time I eat right up to the point of going to bed. Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    No, not at all. I guess I should have made the exercise part the forefront. I can't speak for everyone because I don't know your exercise habits, but I know what works for me. Consequently, it should work for people like me. If you are working out hard 3+ days a week and lead a rather active lifestyle day to day other than that then I think my advice is sound. For someone that struggles with exercise and is trying to drop every last calorie possible, sure, skip breakfast.

If you are trying to fuel a fitness machine, however, I wouldn't skip it!!!

BeachGingerOn, I don't doubt you at all. You are a great example. I am willing to bet you are under your calorie goal and hitting your macros pretty well either way. The timing of the meals is not a make it or break it thing by any means, but I still stand by what i said. :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah... I am bowing out of this one. Maybe you can correct the error in my ways or offer something substantive instead of being a ****.

Just read the articles. There is so much B.S. out there that you can easily get buried in it.

Meal timing is a myth. There is no reason that you have to eat 6 meals a day, or even 3 meals a day. There are guys that are successful eating just 1 very large meal a day. I don't eat breakfast when I'm cutting because I just am not hungry until about noon. I run 4 to 5 days a week and I lift 4 days a week. I'd call that active, particularly when it's in addition to my daily routine.

My only point to the OP, is to do what works for you and if you're not hungry for breakfast and it helps you meet your calorie goals, then go with it.

Thanks for that. I was trying to make the point with my later post that it is ultimately what works best for the individual. I like getting my morning started off with a hearty meal within an hour, but that is just me. I am aware that people say it doesn't matter with frequency and timing for meals, but like we are saying it is what is best for each person. I didn't mean to imply you weren't active or fit either, you are obviously doing better than I am.

Like you said, do whatever helps you meet your goals. If that means no breakfast? Great. Huge breakfast? If it's working!
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    U dont usually eat breakfast. I eat brunch at 11-12pm. And dinner at 6-7pm. But since i started eating breakfast at 9am. I ended up eating again at 11, 2pm, 5pm and dinner at 7pm and snacks at night time. Because i feel so hungry. I usually eat everything and dont gain weight until i have two kids. I just gave birth 4months ago and i feel so ugly and desperate.
    My weight before is 119lbs and im 5'6. Now im 147 with big thigh and tummy. My husband always call me Fat and its really annoying!

Chloe, my mother never ate breakfast when I was growing up for the same reason. She said it made her hungry all day and she was afraid of gaining weight. As a result, I still have a take it or leave attitude towards breakfast and will never view it as the most important meal of the day.

If I eat it when I'm hungry, then it works like it is supposed to breaking the fast and yada, yada, yada.

If I eat it when I'm not hungry, then it works like the appetite activation sequence for every other possible meal of the day from brunch to midnight snack.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I know. I was trying to clarify that too. We're good.

Ok cool. The way things were quoted/not quoted got a bit confusing :)
  • chloeshotmom
    Options
    thanks so much everyone. im sorry i didnt go online for the past few days.
    anyway, i dont eat breakfast since i was in high school. thats why its hard for me to force myself to eat brekky. yes.for me, its not skipping meals. because i, used to eat twice a day only. except when i was pregnant. i was eating 6 times a day. LOL
    yup. he calls me fat. and always pressing my big fat legs and tummy. he's not helping me emotionally. But i promise to myself i will exercise more and eat less calories to lose weight. and thats what im doing for the past few weeks.
  • Danadusin
    Danadusin Posts: 1
    Options
    http://www.fatswitchbook.com/ I am not affiliated with this book and I never even bought it, but I watched the hour long lecture at this link. It helped me understand why and what made me hungry. Carbs and sugars make me hungry. So I can either struggle everyday with my hunger or I can cut out the problem. I have increased my protein, cut out all processed and natural sugars, and have cut out all flours. I use lettuce in place of bread for burgers and sandwiches. Since I was unable to stick to the adkins diet because I seem to store the extra protein as fat as well, I am just trying to be aware that if I choose to eat breads, fruit, pastas, or to many veggies I will be increasing my hunger and be ready for the battle. I only eat these things if I feel strong and know I wont give in. I am down about 60 pounds by counting calories and watching where they come from. I hope this link helps you as much as me. It finally all made sense to me. My newest favorite snack is Old Wisconsin turkey bites. 6 pieces are 80 calories no sugar, <1g carb and 7 grams of protein. Yumm and it doesn't make me hungry. :smile:
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but you guys are way off! It is better to have a whole, balanced breakfast in the morning to get your metabolism going throughout the day. The earlier you eat something, the longer you have throughout the day to burn it. If you make breakfast one of your biggest meals (and make it filling and nutritious) you have all the time in the world to burn off those calories.

If you skip breakfast like most people and make dinner your largest meal of the day, guess what? You are going sleepy time and all those calories are stuck inside you. I know, I know we process even when we are sleeping, but c'mon...obviously not as much during waking time.

DON'T skip breakfast. If anything I try to make it my largest meal of the day. Granted, I eat 5-6 small meals a day, so breakfast usually tops out at 500 calories.

In short, if you are trying to lose fat and you workout intensely, having breakfast is pretty important.

Also, thank you for posting those studies. They are all well and good, but if you look closely a lot of them support what I am saying even if they don't outright state higher meal frequency burns more fat yadda yadda. For instance, in the first study, the people are all on sporadic activity schedules. There are examples from the other studies that go both ways, but my point with this is that I am speaking for highly active individuals engaged in a high intensity workout regimen.

There is just no convincing me that skipping a meal, especially the one that gets you up and going to start your metabolism, is bad.

Your metabolism does not slow to a grinding halt when you skip breakfast. Do some REAL research on IF.
    Time of day you eat has NOTHING do to with how well you burn the calories.