People don't like cardio...?

Options
124»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Cardio is the most fun! I started doing it long before anyone told me to, and sometimes even when told not to. I would still do it even if it weren't good for me.

Things like hiking, sports, riding bikes, playing ... these are things I wouldn't want to live without.

Enclosing myself in a germy room of sweaty strangers so I can pick up and put down heavy things. :s No thanks! I'd rather go climb a tree.

Umm...who says you have to do that to lift weights? Lots of people have their own gyms in garages (w/ door open) or even just out on their patio.

There's also gyms that have stuff outdoors to workout with and then there's body routines you could also do outside so....

Nobody said it, including me. I do lift weights occassionally.

You insinuated that lifting in a germy room of sweaty strangers was the only way and that's why you'd rather not so yes..yes you did.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Enclosing myself in a germy room of sweaty strangers so I can pick up and put down heavy things. :s No thanks! I'd rather go climb a tree.

You always find a way to throw in a rude, backhanded comment don't you?

The opinion wasn't backhanded. I said exactly what I mean. And it wasn't meant to be rude, it's simply my opinion. Please don't take it as a judgement of what you do. I embrace diversity. Do what you enjoy.

You deliberately worded it to try to get a reaction out of lifters. It's not the first time you have done so.

Exactly this^
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I love cardio. It makes me feel good. Sometime though, it does make me exceptionally hungry so I can see why a lot of people aren't big fans. I do some weights too and recently added yoga for stretching.

None of that feels as good to me as a decent run.

More importantly, I have crappy lungs and I want to make them stronger. I smoked a pack a day for 10 years, didn't exercise until I was 30 and have asthma. The first time I did the elliptical for 20 minutes I coughed for 3 days. Now I can run several miles. Lung capacity and stamina are why I run.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I walking and running, the actual physical action of doing those activities, the lung/heart benefits that I get from them, and being able to eat a few more calories because of doing them. Also, I like to exercise 6 days a week so cardio fills in my non-weight training days. For me, it is effective for all of the above reasons, which may or may not match anybody else's.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I used to run 10 mile a day (5 days a week) and it took me about an hour. I loved it. It gave me about a 1100 calories deficit to eat what I wanted. I lost a good bit of weight. I went from 13 Stone to 11, but looked shyte (skinny fat). I now lift four times a week, cardio (4 miles twice a week) and have gone back up to 13 stone, but look totally different to how I did a 13 stone prior. Cardio is a great form of exercise for health/fitness and will burn calories. I recommend it. However, for weight loss a deficit can be created by eating less as well.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the most fun! I started doing it long before anyone told me to, and sometimes even when told not to. I would still do it even if it weren't good for me.

Things like hiking, sports, riding bikes, playing ... these are things I wouldn't want to live without.

Umm...who says you have to do that to lift weights? Lots of people have their own gyms in garages (w/ door open) or even just out on their patio.

There's also gyms that have stuff outdoors to workout with and then there's body routines you could also do outside so....

You insinuated that lifting in a germy room of sweaty strangers was the only way and that's why you'd rather not so yes..yes you did.

My post was about me. My opinion. Gyms aren't my thing.

Anything else you made of it is on you, not me.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you for explaining it to me, everyone.
    I genuinely enjoy doing cardio - stuff like HIIT makes me focus on just it because it's so intense, making it so good for clearing my head. Lifting unfortunately for me isn't an option because I can't afford the £40 per month memberships of my local gyms... Maybe when I move areas later this year I can start.

When everything is said and done the bolded part from your comment is what matters in the end.

If you read the comments with keen you'll see a trend. ..... People are doing what they are enjoying.

They find "x" boring.

EDTA : That "x" can be anything.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That day you need one of those sweaty guys (probably not a stranger at that point) to open a jar or lift a box for you...

After age 35, people on average lose 1% of their muscle mass (and strength) per year. Lean muscle mass is one of the key indicators of longevity. Weight training also helps maintain bone density. Who wants to be frail when their old?

I can't imagine anyone does. I'm not sure why you quoted me, unless you are suggesting a gym is required to maintain bone and muscle. It isn't.

You’re the one who said you aren’t interested in picking up heavy things. Seems to mean you don’t train for strength or muscle mass. Or maybe you were just giving the lifters a rise.

The post was about gyms, not strength training. I don't like gyms.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

My post was about me. My opinion. Gyms aren't my thing.

Anything else you made of it is on you, not me.

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm not one of those people. I love cardio and do more than 15 hours a week. I like putting those old wive's tales to the test like "you can't out exercise a bad diet..."... "Okay, but let me try". :)

haha...yes. I am managing that quite easily. I ate 2 litres of cappucino frozen yogurt over the course of the day yesterday...granted, I don't NORMALLY do the entire 2....1 litre is usually sufficient. But I have a busted tooth and solids haven't been my friend lately. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I figure when I'm doing a minimum of 20k pretty well every day of my life, I can afford to do that every once in a while for now.

• benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't like any monotonous forms of cardio like cycling, running, treadmills, etc. I think a lot of people that say they dislike cardio are envisioning those exercises (I might be wrong). The P90x workouts made me see a different side of cardio. It gave me an appreciation for HIIT.

That being said, I tend to replace cardio workouts with something else at home but that is only because I don't have much room to jump around and I make thumping noises and the floor rattles each time I do. I live on the third floor so I feel like I am being a jerk jumping around. I might have to find a new place to exercise or move somewhere where I can live on the first floor.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I prefer weight lifting, but I believe cardio helps with weightlifting. When working the larger muscle groups like legs and back cardio definitely helps me. There's been times where I've had to quit a set because I was out of breath but the muscles weren't fatigued yet. This has happened to me more often on squats and leg presses, but it's also happened on lunges and dumbbell rows.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Either you are back peddling, or you don't know how to put together a cohesive thought. You went from "Cardio is the most fun" and what you enjoy about cardio. Then you post about the gym, but it isn't supposed to be about strength training?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Either you are back peddling, or you don't know how to put together a cohesive thought. You went from "Cardio is the most fun" and what you enjoy about cardio. Then you post about the gym, but it isn't supposed to be about strength training?

Fair enough. I don't like lifting weights in a gym. I also don't like doing cardio in a gym. Because, I don't like gyms. I like outside. I also don't always phrase my thoughts well. I admit that. Still all me. It was never about you. I promise. ::flowerforyou::
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't do traditional cardio kinda bores me. And honestly my blood pressure and heart sit at the low end anyways for my age group so the benefits longterm aren't really there when you've got your doc saying increase your sodium or something this is worrying. This being said during my mma and bjj classes as well as my walking habits I'm sure I get plenty in.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I hate all of you!!!! I am gonna work through this frustration by running to the gym, lifting some weights and then running home. Then I am gonna repeat that 2 or 3 times a week in between my regular running routine!!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    shabaity wrote: »
    I don't do traditional cardio kinda bores me. And honestly my blood pressure and heart sit at the low end anyways for my age group so the benefits longterm aren't really there when you've got your doc saying increase your sodium or something this is worrying. This being said during my mma and bjj classes as well as my walking habits I'm sure I get plenty in.

BJJ and Muay Thai classes were the most fun I've ever had while working out. I was in the best shape of my life!!!
    Sadly, I haven't done either in years and I don't see them in my near future :( But yay for you!!!!

I don't like lifting weights at the gym or doing cardio machines. But (other than BJJ and Muay Thai) other workouts that I enjoy are kettlebells -for weights. And running outside, trampoline, balance board and hula hoop. And I also like yoga and pilates.

I used to say "I hate working out!" as it turns out, I just dislike doing machines.

I think the key is to find an activity you like.