frozen fish
    mac & cheese
    honey nut joe-os
    coffee
    50% less salt peanuts
    trail mix in the individual servings
    chocolate
    string cheese
    I love macaroni and cheese! Is Trader Joes good? How many calories?

The "guiltless" or whatever is 320 I think?
    Cinnamon crumpets, the soy yogurt is soooo good, no sodium wheat bread, almond butter, organic cornflakes..

I really would NOT recommend the cookie butter if you're trying to lose weight, it's NOT healthy at all and people shouldn't be replacing natural pb or almond butter for a spread that's made out of crushed cookies, sugar, and palm oil. Plus, a serving is one tbsp i believe? which is 95 calories and basically no nutrition

It's delicious and I've eaten it while losing weight.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Whats ironic is that this is a favorite place for me to shop for both low cal options (me) and high cal, high-fat options (two boys below the weight chart).

My low cal staples include- produce. I'm in Northern New England so our own growing season is very short. There are many affordable options in the produce section here.

Orange chicken- okay its not necessarily low-cal. But it comes out crispy and delicious for far less calories than take out.

Boiled, peeled eggs. Yup, I can do it myself. But the price is about 50 cents more than the current price of fresh eggs. And I don't have to do the work.

Steel cut oatmeal- microwaves quickly and tastes like the real thing. Very filling.

Freeze-dried fruit. Try the unsweetened no sulfur pineapple. Mmm.

Apple chicken sausage. Replace your hot dogs this summer with this. So delicious and I think under 160 calories each.

Reduced guilt entrees- still has a fair amount of salt, but short ingredient lists you can pronounce while still giving some backup options for work lunches. I like the ziti and the mac and cheese.

I like their Just the Clusters almond granola cereal. I find it a filling dinner on nights I'm scrambling.

I buy the whole milk yogurt for the kids. They love it. They have a good selection of hommus also.

Not low cal, but I must reiterate- the cheap wine with decent quality. Mmmmm.

• jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    yum the chicken tikka masala and garlic naan (out of the freezer section) lol
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    OK someone please fill me in (I'm from Canada). What is Trader Joe's? Is it like a company or a grocery store or both?
    I see you're in Toronto so this won't help you get your hands on any TJ's items but you might get a chuckle- there's this guy up in BC who has made a business of smuggling Trader Joes stuff into Canada. You can read about it here: http://priceonomics.com/the-man-who-smuggles-traders-joes-into-canada/
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    TAMALES!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Love their produce especially their apples! Almond Butter Salmon fillets also love salmon and mai mai burgers. Chocolate chip cookies are scrumptious!! Mango salsa
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am in love with their Butternut Squash soup. It weighs in at a relatively svelte 90 calories per cup.

Here is a list of 67 ways to spruce it up into a meal. I am going to try adding shrimp, chicken or good 'ole mushrooms.
    http://www.chow.com/food-news/157573/hacks-for-trader-joe-s-butternut-squash-soup

Cheers!
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Lite Cheddar Cheese slices
    baby fingerling potatoes
    potstickers - especially the thai shrimp
    Kind Bars - Cheaper than anywhere else I've seen
    Red Pepper Hummus
    in the produce section, they have pre-sliced carrots and jicama with sugar snap peas and grape tomatoes (all raw) so good with hummus!
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Pineapple salsa
    Mango creams
    Coconut oil
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    cookie butter, cheddar cheese with caramelized onions, power of seven juice
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Cookie Butter Cookies
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    RunTimer wrote: »
    Cookie Butter Cookies

I need to try those!
  • madisonamanda
    madisonamanda Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Guacamole kit & macaroni and cheese balls... mmmmm
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    jcook0716 wrote: »
    and garlic naan (out of the freezer section) lol

I was there last month for the garlic naan (I use it as a pizza crust) and they didn't have it. When I asked they said they were looking for a new provider. She didn't know when it would be back in stock. Major bummer!
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »

I was there last month for the garlic naan (I use it as a pizza crust) and they didn't have it. When I asked they said they were looking for a new provider. She didn't know when it would be back in stock. Major bummer!

You know they tell me that too when I ask for things they're out of but then I go the next day and they have it. >.>
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »

That is the only negative about Trader Joe's. The routinely stop selling products to make room for new ones. They seem to have more turnover in that sense than most other supermarkets. That's great if you didn't care about the old product, but if they cut something you like it sucks...at least until you find some new thing you like just as much.
  • aryseespieces
    aryseespieces Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    zapslr wrote: »
    I'm headed to Trader Joes tonight after work, what are some of your weightloss-friendly favorite items there?

COCONUT OIL COCONUT OIL COCONUT OIL! They have the best organic, cold pressed unrefined coconut oil!

Love their organic popcorn popped in olive oil, their raw whole cashews, I get larabars there, they have a probiotic strawberry yogurt that's really yummy! And Ezekiel bread!
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    TURKEY JERKY!
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've only been a few times and I haven't had a lot of time to peruse. But I did like their harvest tomatoes for my salads. :smile: I'll have to look around some more, I'm in the market for daytime snacks now.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    OK someone please fill me in (I'm from Canada). What is Trader Joe's? Is it like a company or a grocery store or both?
    I see you're in Toronto so this won't help you get your hands on any TJ's items but you might get a chuckle- there's this guy up in BC who has made a business of smuggling Trader Joes stuff into Canada. You can read about it here: http://priceonomics.com/the-man-who-smuggles-traders-joes-into-canada/

Thanks for the link. That was a very entertaining read!