New to macros and MFP -balance help required

Options
hey there! I'm 32 yr old female trying to tone up (currently not lifting weights or anything) and lose the exta fat around thighs and tummy and bum of course! I'm 5'7 weighing 147 eating 1480 cals per day. This totally works for me! I walk at least 3xday(w/my dog) for 5 days out of the week and exercise 5 days a week(at home cardio and stuff). My macros are: 50C/25P/25F...my question is that I seem to often be under in calories but my macros will be off; over in at least one category, mostly fat right now...so from what I've researched as long as I'm in a caloric deficit I'll lose weight regardless. Is this true still if my macros are off, esp if it's in fat?? Thanks for your help!! I just want to be healthy ...and toned!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, is true - assuming your logging is accurate. :)

If you're constantly over in all 3 macros but under in calories, then something is wrong in the data for the entries you're selecting. If you find you're constantly low on protein, that would be something to focus on. Getting enough protein is important. But otherwise, probably not a concern.
  • stefng33
    stefng33 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • stefng33
    Options
    I'm starting to get better at meal planning as I go, so maybe I just need to tweak some things a bit. Change some of the fats and carbs I'm eating and increase protein like you say.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    stefng33 wrote: »
    . . . . as long as I'm in a caloric deficit I'll lose weight regardless.
    Initially.

Fat is one of those things. I go over too-- but also under. All in all, it averages out on a weekly basis to right in line with what I want. The issue is added fat just freaking everywhere and adds up. It makes food taste good (especially when present with simple carbs); but, it's calorically dense. The only one to watch out for, really, is saturated fat (basically anything animal sourced) -- even MCT-- as it it has no nutritive value. But if you have to have it, for my money, MCT (coconut oil) is the way to go.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For the beginning: I'd say decide if there are certain areas that you need more 'help' with. For me its protein & veggies. I don't need to go out of my way to get carbs in general, or fat. They just happen it seems in the foods I tend to eat.

So I pay a little more attention to protein & veggies. Such as I'll have a larger portion of meat than I might have otherwise - and I've worked on having a wider variety of veggies in my routine.

Before I'd eat a basic salad occasionally, and broccoli, corn, carrots. Now I also eat edamame, zucchini, asparagus, cauliflower. And I'm making myself more open to trying things. (Tried brussel sprouts twice last week, not a fan, but not giving up either!)
  • stefng33
    Options
    Really!? I love brussel sprouts. I'm definitely learning as I go; it takes time I see. I agree that balance is key. I'm
    Often under in cals and my macros are OK except in one category. So I know that I need to watch for patterns and get creative w/other carb sources and less of them! I love veg and have been really taking to chicken. Haven't felt this great...ever really! I totally get the whole you are what you eat thing.
    How do we determine the best macro ratio for our bodies anyway? I've seen people say they're carb sensitive etc.
    Should I be playing around a bit ? Experimenting with different %? How do we know??
    I appreciate all of your feedback :)