i know this is a weight loss wesbite...

Options
Is it because of this no one really cares about "health". For example the over all consensus is "if it fits in your calories eat it" but is that healthy? Like yes i could eat taco bell everyday and fit it into my calories never get fat but is that healthy? no! I am pro fitting stuff into your calories and if i crave something i fit it in but it doesnt mean im being healthy. Is it because this is primarily weight loss that the over all health side of it is left out? Getting fat isnt the only risk to eating highly processed chemical laced fast food. Mean while i just ate a mcdonalds hash brown.. I am just asking not really challenging the theroy because as u can see im a "if it fits eat it".

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Lots of people try to eat more nutritious foods with this site. I am not really understand your question. Like why do people not talk more about whatever "clean eating" is with CICO?
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I didn't know this was a weight loss website.

Learn something new every day.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No one is saying not to be healthy. They're saying not to deprive yourself. You want to do something you can follow for the rest of your life. There is nothing wrong with having a treat if you've met your macros for the day. That means if you've filled up on protein, fat, fibers etc. No one is saying eat what ever you want ANYTIME! No they're saying eat well, eat healthy and fit what you like in.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm all about weight loss but I try not to eat processed foods or food with lots of added sugar. Doesn't mean I don't eat them ever, just not everyday!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Pick 10 random people, here or real life, doesn't matter. Ask them to define the difference between healthy and unhealthy food. See how many matching answers you get.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You are generalizing and misunderstanding the concept. Not one person on here says to eat whatever you want all day regardless of "health" as long as it fits your macros. They are saying that there is nothing you have to deny yourself in the name of a "diet" as long as it fits your macros.

So yes, eat for health and micronutrients like iron and all - but if you have 200 calories left and it fits, eat a snickers if that is what you were really craving. A snickers doesnt negate all the broccoli and lean chicken you consumed all day.

And really, do you care what a few million anonymous people do to their health? Eat how you approve of and let others go. Save that energy for something useful :)
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    First, I think most people would say 'if it fits in your calories AND macros' then eat it, so right there it means you are eating a well-balanced, 'healthy' diet. Second, the whole concept of 'chemical laced' is far from clear, outside of known carcinogens, and the knowledge is changing all the time (e.g. saccharine). A lot of it is not well based in science, and it just degrades into a mindless argument. For instance, we could probably ignite a 1000 comment post by comparing cane sugar to HFCS, to no constructive end.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Fitness = good health, or it should, but what that means is different for everyone, hence the different responses.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Is it because of this no one really cares about "health". For example the over all consensus is "if it fits in your calories eat it" but is that healthy? Like yes i could eat taco bell everyday and fit it into my calories never get fat but is that healthy? no! I am pro fitting stuff into your calories and if i crave something i fit it in but it doesnt mean im being healthy. Is it because this is primarily weight loss that the over all health side of it is left out? Getting fat isnt the only risk to eating highly processed chemical laced fast food. Mean while i just ate a mcdonalds hash brown.. I am just asking not really challenging the theroy because as u can see im a "if it fits eat it".

Because everyone has a different definition of "healthy"?

If you're craving something and fit it in, it doesn't automatically mean you're being healthy, but it doesn't automatically mean you're being unhealthy, either.

There is also the factor to consider that eating Taco Bell once in a while but losing steadily and reducing various obesity-related health issues (for some people) IS probably more healthy than eating organic Brazil nuts grown in non-depleted soils and watered with the tears of virgin mermaids, at an excess of calories, keeping one very overweight with whatever his/her weight-related health issues are. Being able to stay within one's calorie goals because you're not depriving yourself CAN lead to better health in the long run - and many people are quite healthy while eating your examples of "highly processed chemical-laced fast food."

It's impossible to pinpoint one definition of "healthy" and have everyone agree on it.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Pick 10 random people, here or real life, doesn't matter. Ask them to define the difference between healthy and unhealthy food. See how many matching answers you get.

good point!
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I think when people start out using MFP and are trying to lose weight, IIFYM is a great concept.

I used to eat fast food or chocolate for half of my calories. Although it worked, I realized I wasn't full for as long and didn't have a lot of energy. I then gradually ate better foods while still eating a little chocolate every day.

I am still doing IIFYM but with healthier foods. People will learn that the foods they eat will effect their energy, body comp, etc. but I think learning CICO and IIFYM is great when understanding how to lose weight.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's actually not a weight loss site. It's a FITNESS site. Many people use this site to maintain or gain weight, too.
  • fishshark
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    First, I think most people would say 'if it fits in your calories AND macros' then eat it, so right there it means you are eating a well-balanced, 'healthy' diet. Second, the whole concept of 'chemical laced' is far from clear, outside of known carcinogens, and the knowledge is changing all the time (e.g. saccharine). A lot of it is not well based in science, and it just degrades into a mindless argument. For instance, we could probably ignite a 1000 comment post by comparing cane sugar to HFCS, to no constructive end.

yea thats true im not trying to start an argument because i dont deprive myself at all but whenever i see someone post "i had to give up cake" pretty much everyone chimes in as never give up the cake!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    One of the best explanations I have heard for IIFYM (and moderation in general) is "you can have anything you want any time you want... you just cant have everything you want every time you want it."
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I think when people start out using MFP and are trying to lose weight, IIFYM is a great concept.

I used to eat fast food or chocolate for half of my calories. Although it worked, I realized I wasn't full for as long and didn't have a lot of energy. I then gradually ate better foods while still eating a little chocolate every day.

I am still doing IIFYM but with healthier foods. People will learn that the foods they eat will effect their energy, body comp, etc. but I think learning CICO and IIFYM is great when understanding how to lose weight.

Yep! I was the same when I started and then my food also gravitated towards healthier because I could eat more of it and felt full longer. I learned so much from this site.
  • fishshark
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    You are generalizing and misunderstanding the concept. Not one person on here says to eat whatever you want all day regardless of "health" as long as it fits your macros. They are saying that there is nothing you have to deny yourself in the name of a "diet" as long as it fits your macros.

So yes, eat for health and micronutrients like iron and all - but if you have 200 calories left and it fits, eat a snickers if that is what you were really craving. A snickers doesnt negate all the broccoli and lean chicken you consumed all day.

And really, do you care what a few million anonymous people do to their health? Eat how you approve of and let others go. Save that energy for something useful :)

yea totally im with the general population if i want a slice a pizza i fit it in just asking when people say they "eat clean" which idk what that even means they generally dont get the best responses lol
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »

yea thats true im not trying to start an argument because i dont deprive myself at all but whenever i see someone post "i had to give up cake" pretty much everyone chimes in as never give up the cake!

Because you don't need to give up the cake for any weight goal. Never give up the foods you love. That is how some people binge on said love food.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

There are few absolutes in life (death, taxes, something else I'm not remembering) but "healthy" isn't one of them. A healthy attitude toward food includes moderation. Eating a hash brown or having Taco Bell is not an inherently unhealthy behavior assuming it doesn't make up 100% of your diet. And who really has a diet made up 100% of those things? Nobody. And I've never seen any MFPer suggest it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    On the face of it, it does seem a bit "eat as many chips as you can fit in your goals to lose weight" but one thing you will end up doing is gravitating towards healthier choices as for the same "bulk" you can eat fewer calories. Apart from nuts.

Certainly, I tend to eat much more healthily than before I joined, although I still enjoy a daily treat or two.