Why do people still cough into their hands?

Options
Bry_Fitness70
Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
Given that we know that germs and viruses are spread by contacting common surfaces with germ and virus carriers, why are people still coughing into their hands? At this stage of our scientific understanding, how is it that people don't realize that coughing into your hands and then touching door knobs, fridge handles, elevator buttons, etc., is getting people sick? When I see people do that I feel like honestly wonder how in the hell this is person doesn't know better at this point, and yes, I judge them and blame the when I get sick or my kids get sick.

Coughing into the inside of your elbow prevents airborne infection, and since you aren't likely to use the inside of your elbow to open doors, fridges, push elevator buttons, etc., you reduce the likelihood of infecting others by touching common surfaces.

Replies

• pixieloses
    Options
    Just tell them.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Coughing into your elbow is better, sure.....but its not completely preventing the spread of germs.

When I cough into my elbow - the air shoots out over and under my elbow.....spreading germs.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    pixieloses wrote: »
    Just tell them.

I do, when it is practical.

My hope is that hand-coughers on MFP will change their ways - if I can save 1 person from losing a few days of their precious lives to sickness, then I have accomplished something.
  • davesgalforever
    davesgalforever Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Why don't people wash their hands after using the restroom? No common sense.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Coughing into your elbow is better, sure.....but its not completely preventing the spread of germs.

When I cough into my elbow - the air shoots out over and under my elbow.....spreading germs.

It will spread less than coughing into your hand and then touching a public surface though. Coughing down your shirt, if the collar is high enough, or into a jacket or sweater is even better.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    Given that we know that germs and viruses are spread by contacting common surfaces with germ and virus carriers, why are people still coughing into their hands? At this stage of our scientific understanding, how is it that people don't realize that coughing into your hands and then touching door knobs, fridge handles, elevator buttons, etc., is getting people sick? When I see people do that I feel like honestly wonder how in the hell this is person doesn't know better at this point, and yes, I judge them and blame the when I get sick or my kids get sick.

Coughing into the inside of your elbow prevents airborne infection, and since you aren't likely to use the inside of your elbow to open doors, fridges, push elevator buttons, etc., you reduce the likelihood of infecting others by touching common surfaces.

To some people, spreading germs is a big deal.
    To others, grammar, spelling, and sentence structure are big deals.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    my vote is "out of habit."
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Why don't people wash their hands after using the restroom? No common sense.

I see this a lot more often than one would think. I'm anything but a clean freak, but not washing your hands after the bathroom? Do you want to get sick or make someone else sick? I guess so.

Or when they turn the tap on for two seconds and then don't even use soap?

Biaaaaatch, no. :weary:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    Bump for Fall
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Aren't you supposed to cough and sneeze in the crook of your arm?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »

Ideally!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »

Ideally!

Off topic.
    How is it you still have the same post count from April? :smiley:
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    Have you glared at her when she does this? Done a big sigh of derision?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Don't know about you guys but I wash my hands before I go to the bathroom.
    I sure don't want my dirty hands touching my stuff . B)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Idiots.
  • Determined_ella_89
    Determined_ella_89 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Wear gloves, if touching surfaces is an issue? Coughing into your hands is polite.. Isn't that how it started? So that you don't have the unfortunate bugger coughing into your face and spreading it anyways? lol. If it is air borne we are catching it whether they cough, sneeze or lick you :joy: just depends on how good your immune system is.

I had full on contact.... everything :flushed: with a person who had the flu... I never caught it.. As much as I try to hold my breath exactly where it was, when the person coughs or sneezes.. It doesn't work lol ... They say tissues are meant to be good.. As long as you bin it afterwards and wash your hands.. Oh and don't touch anything! Use your elbows to open doors.. Lol aren't germs fun... I have a chest infection.... *licks screen* :joy: