I don't know why I care but.........

Options
People that weigh themselves every day and record the most minuscule losses annoy the *kitten* out of me. One word - "fluctuation". Ok. Rant over. I apologize for my PMS. :p

Replies

• melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is your problem, not theirs.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I like to see my fluctuations, they tell me how my body reacts to food, stress, sleep, sodium, hydration, and working out.

These are valuable data points and I will not stop logging them. If it Bugs you soo much you may want to consider unfriending these people, or posting this on your wall so they can unfriend you.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hey, those minuscule losses matter! .2 lbs is a lot, especially to someone who only has 10 pounds to lose. I personally don't weigh myself very often, but if logging the tiny losses makes someone happy, then they should feel comfortable doing that. Maybe it helps them stick to their goals. ;)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    People that weigh themselves every day and record the most minuscule losses annoy the *kitten* out of me. One word - "fluctuation". Ok. Rant over. I apologize for my PMS. :p
    Tough. I weigh myself daily because I own those fluctuations. It's recorded daily because my scale is a technological wonder.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I like to see my fluctuations, they tell me how my body reacts to food, stress, sleep, sodium, hydration, and working out.

These are valuable data points and I will not stop logging them. If it Bugs you soo much you may want to consider unfriending these people, or posting this on your wall so they can unfriend you.

This. I'm a statistician, and looking at those frequent data points, I can tell you whether something is normal fluctuation or a statistical deviation (read: actual loss).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yea, I don't know why you care either.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I record daily because I want to make sure I'm on track. Once the fluctuations are taken into account, I can verify that I'm losing compared to where I was a month ago.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This is your problem, not theirs.
    Yeeeeeeeuuuuuuuup

If I am cutting and down 0.3lbs, I'm facking counting it.

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't mind people logging little losses or gains that doesn't bother me- I get annoyed with people who post threads about "gaining" a pound (typically water weight) or not losing x amount of weight in such small amounts of time. I understand there are lots of people who are new to all this but there are always so many threads about the same thing I don't get why they don't read those first and if they don't find the answer to their question there THEN start a thread.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I'm one who is obsessed with the scale and weigh myself at least twice a day. I don't log the fluctuations but I do weigh myself a lot and I get upset when I see even the slightest gain. As far as other people on a message board, I don't care what they log or don't log.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you have an aria scale, the readings get logged automatically. And there is value in understanding fluctuations by seeing them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    And i've never understood rationalizing behavior with PMS. :drinker: . See what I did there? :smiley:
    It IS what it is.
    Here's how I see it: How do you KNOW what fluctuations to expect unless you go through this phase?
    How did I know my ToM brought 3Lbs and my ovulation brought 3Lbs and sushi brings 2, and a long airplane flight up to 5LBs? By weighing and noting the differences. And, yes, in the beginning, by fretting over them.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    OP, you probably should have just posted this in the "confessions" thread to avoid all the negative responses. Many little things annoy me every day, but if I said them out loud *I* would be the annoying one, so I just keep it to myself.
  • tbullucks2006
    tbullucks2006 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I needed to hear the different perspectives. See now I realize I'm just being stupid!
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I needed to hear the different perspectives. See now I realize I'm just being stupid!

Enh, we all have out moments
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Eh, weird thing to be annoyed about, but it's your feelings.

Fluctuation knowledge is very helpful, and the best way to see that is to weigh & record daily. I can see what happens to my body over time, and if I don't record it, how am I supposed to remember it? Plus, graphs and numbers! But, this is one reason I don't record it all the time here on MFP. Spreadsheets work better.

Over last week, I gained four pounds (in small increments). I lost three pounds overnight last night. But, since I record so much data so often, I can see patterns. I mean, I know that my period started this Friday, but I now know how my weight fluctuates with my period and I can accept bloating and move on. I can guess that tomorrow morning, based on what I ate today, how I exercised, and what time of the month it is, I'll probably lose .2-.4 lbs tonight and another 1/2lb tomorrow. And I will record it.

OOOh, also, I like to weigh myself, then weigh myself with a bottle of water in my hand, then drink the bottle of water and see if there's any difference. But I don't record that...that would just be silly!

Have fun with the scale!
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    OP, you probably should have just posted this in the "confessions" thread to avoid all the negative responses. Many little things annoy me every day, but if I said them out loud *I* would be the annoying one, so I just keep it to myself.

This!!!
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I do not record when it goes down not when it goes up. If it is .1 you better dang well believe I am recording that! Besides why does it matter to you? Just curious....
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options

I weigh myself every day. I do it because I like to see the fluctuations. It reminds me that with every gain comes a loss. If I saw a gain on a Friday I would stew about it all week until next weigh in day. Now I weigh every day I only have to wait a day or 2 to see the loss that I know is coming.

Sorry if in doing so I have offended you in any way ;)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think what she is referring to is the people that post everyday that they've lost weight - like .2lbs or something. I have a friend that posts at least 3 times a week, losing and gaining the same .4. It's annoying but you learn to ignore it. It's their lives. It may keep them motivated. And that's what we are all here for!

OP, if it annoys you THAT much, just delete this person as a friend or learn to ignore it.