What made you choose the career path you chose?

Options
2»

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I teach preschool. When I was a little kid, I hardly ever played 'house'. I always played 'school'. It was always clear that I would be a teacher. There was a brief period when I thought I wanted to be a social worker, and I actually took several years of classes toward that. But it was teaching that called to me. I've never done anything else.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You just have to strike out and give it a try. If the first option you try clicks with you, fantastic. If it doesn't-- then you know one more thing you don't want to do professionally. Put it aside immediately and start your next choice.

I started out planning to be a commercial illustrator, but ended up pushing more into cgi because it clicked more with me... and paid better, lol. :)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Chance. I was a bored home maker, walking past their office one day, on a whim I walked into the office and asked for a job, they hired me on the spot.

I'm a million times too overqualified for it but I love the humanity of it.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    See if you can intern at any of the jobs you are interested to get a real look at what it would entail. I am a cake decorator and love what I do. It hard work, grueling deadlines and not always fun but overall I wouldn't do anything else.
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    if there's any advice i can give its- keep a hobby a hobby. cause you like something doesn't necessarily mean to make a career out of it. keep something just for you to enjoy. sometimes when we love something and do it all day everyday for a living, we can hate it after a while.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I went to school as an aerospace engineer, but realized early on that I hated dynamics, so I switched to English. I loved the classes, but when I tried to find a co-op, there was nothing. Disturbed by the job prospects, I started looking around. I was working on set design and construction in the theater at my school with a civil engineer and realized I like the work (no dynamics). I ended up double majoring in english and civil engineering (only one ever at my school). Now, I design nuclear power plants as a civil engineer and I love it (most days). Try to find an opportunity to try what you want to do and see if its for you. Don't be afraid to switch majors if you discover you don't like where you're headed.
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    As much as I am planner...my career was not my childhood dream or something I had planned. It was a spur of the moment kind of thing, and I don't have one single regret.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    When I graduated from high school i wanted to be an interior designer but I did not have any money for school so i joined the Navy. They offered me to Diesel Mechanic School and I took it because the base that the school was at was about an hour from my home town and I wanted to come close to home after boot camp. I did that job for 4 years then converted to Electronics for Gas Turbine Engines for 6 more years.

While in, I graduated from college with my electrical engineering degree with the thoughts of going to work for a corporation somewhere. But my last class before graduation was business law. It was like the heavens opened and I found my calling. I left the Navy to go to Law School. But I went to Law School with the intention of studying patent law and making GREAT money. After my second year of law school I realized the patent law was not for me.

10 years ago, after passing the bar, I took on my first bankruptcy client and have helped 100's if not more than a 1000 people start a new life. And have earned a decent living since.

I would say take advantage of what ever opportunities come you way as you will most likely change your mind or find a few other things that spark your passion long before you settle in what your career will be.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i pretty much fell into my career out of necessity and chance. I went to school to be an artist. a painter! a drawer! a creative mind!

15 years later i am an Application System Analyst for healthcare software.