Eggs vs. Egg Whites

Options
124»

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    runnrchic wrote: »
    Ew, egg whites just reminds me of snot. I cannot eat and egg unless it's scrambled or boiled. :s

I'll never be able to look at an egg quite right again.

If you REALLY want to never be able to look at egg white again, go on a Trying to Conceive board.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    runnrchic wrote: »
    Ew, egg whites just reminds me of snot. I cannot eat and egg unless it's scrambled or boiled. :s

I'll never be able to look at an egg quite right again.

If you REALLY want to never be able to look at egg white again, go on a Trying to Conceive board.

LOL, Truth.

I use whole eggs for poached and boiled, for my omelets I use an absurd amount of veggies, one whole egg, a bunch of egg white from the carton, and half an ounce of real full fat good quality sharp cheddar, shredded. Little fat saved here, little fat eaten there. Win.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

A carton. Real eggs, I assume they use the yolk for something really tasty and with lots of calories. ;-)

I almost always just use whole eggs these days, but I used to supplement my omelets with some extra egg whites.

I may start keeping a carton of egg whites in the fridge. I love whole eggs and prefer them, but sometimes I need to bulk up the meal but don't have the calories or macros to do so. I also don't want to waste the yolks from separating eggs myself.

But I will NEVER do just egg whites. That's just silly!

They are good for increasing protein, but the real reason I used to use them is that I'd misjudge the amount of veggies to include and need more egg to cover them, and yet didn't want a whole third egg. Now I never use them, because I am too experienced with making my breakfast omelet to misjudge. Plus, I usually like lowfat dairy for the extra protein (cottage cheese or greek yogurt). But, yeah, I'm with you--nothing wrong with them as an addition, but egg whites alone aren't my bag.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I don't understand people who just eat egg whites. A whole egg doesn't even have that many calories and by getting rid of the yolk you are removing a lot of the nutrients and protein. And personally I hate the taste of egg whites by themselves...

I often get rid of the yolks just because they don't taste good to me.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I usually do one whole egg, then about 150g-200g egg whites that I buy in the carton.
  • Koofers
    Koofers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I myself prefer egg whites. I've never been a huge fan of the yolk, and that's been lifelong. If I eat the yolk, it has to be over hard. Not runny at all. Or, I like scrambled eggs just fine, but I've always preferred the taste of the white, so I usually just buy cartons.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I use at least one whole egg plus extra whites when making omelette/frittatas. I can't do just whites (blech), but don't want the amount of fat I'd get from using all whole eggs.

We buy free range eggs to use for whites and organic to use as whole eggs. Egg whites here are rubbish- they're made from caged eggs
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Even on 1200 calories a day I often ate 4-6 whole eggs.

The yolk is so nutritious. So many good things in egg yolk. I could never discard them.

I'm also on the "creeped out by whites in a carton" bandwagon. It would be like pouring sperm into a frying pan. Bleh.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Even on 1200 calories a day I often ate 4-6 whole eggs.

The yolk is so nutritious. So many good things in egg yolk. I could never discard them.

I'm also on the "creeped out by whites in a carton" bandwagon. It would be like pouring sperm into a frying pan. Bleh.

Hahaha.
    Ironically, I was walking through Woolies yesterday and there they were,,,,, cartons of egg whites!! I had to buy a couple of cartons :# Only because i was curious and i had been adding a whole raw egg in to my smoothie everyday only to find out that that some of the protein in raw egg whites aren't bio-available!
    I added 63g into my fibre drink last night for a protein hit before bed, and it yes it is an unusual yet familiar consistency.... :p