Fast food

Options
124»

Replies

• jj2step
    jj2step Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Actually fast food IS inherently unhealthy.While one can lose weight while eating it, don't believe the marketing masters who want you to believe their product is good for your health. If it isn't full of fat, its full of salt, or sugar, or processed to the point of having very little nutrient value and lots of "fillers". I can drink a sugar free soft drink and cut calories, but what am I putting in my body? And what nutrient rich food do I no longer have room for because it satiated me for the time being? Not that one should deprive oneself of the joys of a piece of chocolate or some cake, or even a Big Mac if you want one, but know what you are eating so that it is an informed choice.

yep the salt in some fast food is terrible and the sugar and the low cal coke and other stuff its full of crap and not in any way good for you xx

Anything to back that up or did you hear it on Fox news?
  • jj2step
    jj2step Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Actually fast food IS inherently unhealthy.While one can lose weight while eating it, don't believe the marketing masters who want you to believe their product is good for your health. If it isn't full of fat, its full of salt, or sugar, or processed to the point of having very little nutrient value and lots of "fillers". I can drink a sugar free soft drink and cut calories, but what am I putting in my body? And what nutrient rich food do I no longer have room for because it satiated me for the time being? Not that one should deprive oneself of the joys of a piece of chocolate or some cake, or even a Big Mac if you want one, but know what you are eating so that it is an informed choice.

yep the salt in some fast food is terrible and the sugar and the low cal coke and other stuff its full of crap and not in any way good for you xx

Anything to back that up or did you hear it on Fox news?
    reading the ingredients usually helps?????
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of fast food, but like most people I eat some occasionally and I eat more processed foods than I'd like. Your comment is why some people refuse to make their diaries public.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    There are some doubts about whether it is necessary for most people who are not salt sensitive to restrict their salt intake so much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/health/panel-finds-no-benefit-in-sharply-restricting-sodium.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"In a report that undercuts years of public health warnings, a prestigious group convened by the government says there is no good reason based on health outcomes for many Americans to drive their sodium consumption down to the very low levels recommended in national dietary guidelines. "

Not that I don't try to limit processed food, but that's for a variety of reasons.

I don't watch my sodium at all and my blood pressure has improved GREATLY and Monday I go and check my lipids... can't wait!
  • cilu90
    cilu90 Posts: 31
    Options
    I wouldn't assume that everything logged in the food diaries actually comes from the place listed. Like this morning I had some sort of homemade rice/bean/chicken concoction and I'm pretty sure it's logged from a restaurant just because that was the mfp option that looked closest. I go to a lot of local places that don't have listed menus so I just pick something close.
    Fat, salt, and sugar are NECCESSARY parts of a healthy diet.
    Fat and salt are...sugar I would say is absolutely not necessary if you are talking white sugar/cane whatever. Glucose is necessary but you can get it from plenty of foods that aren't sweet.

Tasty as sugary things are, they're in a different category than fat or salt.

This is true and I should have been more specific as to what KIND of sugar since I was trying be helpful. Thanks for making that more clear! Also the types of fats . But I was trying to generalize as a response to what was said. Fruit is tasty and sugary, but very beneficial nutrient-wise.
  • Clawson528
    Options
    I haven't eaten fast food in over 3 years and I dont miss it one bit.. Best choice I ever made.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I cook 90% all natural. My hobby is food nutrition and what foods can do for your health, including foods that heal. That being said, my husband and I go out once in a while and indulge in fast food...love it, but am careful with it. Not saying this is a good thing, but we do enjoy it.
  • jmmason89
    jmmason89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Funny, I had a grilled chicken sandwhich and a parfait for lunch from McDonalds because I didn't have time to bring one to work with me and still have 900+ calories saved over for the remainder of my day and I haven't gone for my walk yet.

It's not about where you go per se, it's about what you decide to get when your there. They aren't the ones forcing cheeseburgers and fries down your throat.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I regularly eat fast food. I love to order a huge burger topped with lots of Nunya, with a side of DamnBusiness and I wash it all down with an ice cold WhatIEat. For dessert I might also get one of those deep-fried WorryAboutYourselfs.
  • crystalrp
    crystalrp Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So on payday once every two weeks I eat from a fast food place because I don't feel like cooking every single day. So shoot me.
  • karkaye11
    karkaye11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I occasionally eat fast food but never the fried food. A plain broiled chicken breast is not so bad if the French fries and thick shakes are left out.
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Wear all going to die some day so eat wat you enjoy to eat just in moderation.:drinker:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else noticing that there are a ton of diaries full of fast food? Does anyone else want to eat healthier? if so add me :-)

Guess my weekly baconator and Popeye trip mean we can't be friends. Tragic.

I say do what makes you happy OP, but don't shame choices different than your own. It's a tad rude.
  • cilu90
    Options
    Is anyone else noticing that there are a ton of diaries full of fast food? Does anyone else want to eat healthier? if so add me :-)

I say do what makes you happy OP, but don't shame choices different than your own. It's a tad rude.

So here's the thing. This is a forum titled "Introduce yourself". This person asks if anyone else would like to eat healthier and if they would, to go ahead and add her. HOW IS THIS JUDGEMENTAL OR RUDE? She is looking for people with a similar interest to form a support group for this program...to HELP her. If you eat fast food, dont be friends with her. If you just want to lose weght, dont be friends with her. If you are only worried about caloric intake, whether,it is from a grilled Mcwrap or a poptart, dont be friends with her. She isnt shaming, judging, or badmouthing you; she is searching for others with similar goals. Thats the point of a support group.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

So here's the thing. This is a forum titled "Introduce yourself". This person asks if anyone else would like to eat healthier and if they would, to go ahead and add her. HOW IS THIS JUDGEMENTAL OR RUDE? She is looking for people with a similar interest to form a support group for this program...to HELP her. If you eat fast food, dont be friends with her. If you just want to lose weght, dont be friends with her. If you are only worried about caloric intake, whether,it is from a grilled Mcwrap or a poptart, dont be friends with her. She isnt shaming, judging, or badmouthing you; she is searching for others with similar goals. Thats the point of a support group.
    I lift three days a week, do circuit training another three, and sometimes I little extra cardio if I'm feeling up to it. I am always darn close to my macros and losing weight is a secondary concern, at best. To imply that eating fast food means I don't care about health, am not healthy, or don't eat healthy is rude and shames those who eat fast food.

Its k tho, keep rolling out those judgments. Maybe one day your logical leaps will get you close to someone's truth
  • cilu90
    Options
    She's saying those who eat fast food aren't eating eating healthy... How is a side salad from McDonald's not healthy?

-_- . Most people who eat at McDonalds are not talking about eating a side salad, but I'll take your bait. It is a side, not a meal, so unless it is eaten with something else, which I would assume is also from Mickie D's, it probably won't be very filling and will cost more than just grabbing a bagged salad or head of lettuce from the grocery store. If you choose to go to Mickie D's and get just a side salad and a bottle of water to snack on...more power to you. But it doesnt change the fact that fast food is generally not a HEALTHY option. I stress the word OPTION and also CHOOSE. If I go with my friends to McDonalds (by the way, since when did that become the only ff place?) I'll probably get a burger and fries. I will own that treat as a CHOICE, enjoy it (hopefully), enjoy being with my friends, but I will know and understand that it is not a HEALTHY choice. It doesnt make me look down on those who eat there. I just willeat healthy, fresh, good food CHOICES as much as I can, because its what makes happy. You can do what you want. She...can do what she wants, too, which is look for a support group of people who don't make ff a habit..
  • emmamaelee888
    emmamaelee888 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There is really now point in trying to argue anything back.. all I can say is people read way more into posts than they should.

this was simply to find a few friends who were going to be eating similar to what I am hoping to achieve for my own personal reasons.

Each person is individual in their weight loss and regardless what your own personal choice is, we should all find friends that match what we are trying to do in order to stay on track with our own personal goals.
  • garryt1980
    garryt1980 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want to and I'm in the best shape of my life. Come at me bro.
  • indyducks
    indyducks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    There is really now point in trying to argue anything back.. all I can say is people read way more into posts than they should.

this was simply to find a few friends who were going to be eating similar to what I am hoping to achieve for my own personal reasons.

Each person is individual in their weight loss and regardless what your own personal choice is, we should all find friends that match what we are trying to do in order to stay on track with our own personal goals.

So..... rather than typing "Is anyone noticing there are tons of diaries filled with fast food. Is there anyone who wants to eat healthier", which is 1) judging other's diaries, and 2) implies that there are tons of people that aren't eating healthy.... You could have said something like "Hi, I have made a personal choice that I do not want to eat any fast food, and I am looking for some new friends that would like to eat the same way". This might have landed a little better and not sounded as judgmental.