Counting Calories is an eating disorder?

Options

Replies

• imondrugz
    imondrugz Posts: 154
    Options
    We're all ****ed lol.. Who cares lol ? They consider using caffeine some sort of addiction lol.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yay another disorder I have! :D Add it to the list! :D Soon I hope to build an entire house out of disorder plaques ^_^ Or at least a pillow fort...
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    SheldonNo_zps12bec133.gif
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Okay? What if I count the money in my wallet? What if it takes me more than a minute to figure out whether I have enough for my next purchase once I calculate the other purchases that are non-negotiable?

What if I think about the fact that I have to put gas in my car at night before I go to bed to try to program my mind to remember that in the morning before I head out and run out of gas?

What if my cell phone has limited minutes and I hem and haw over whether to call a certain person because I really really should but they are chit chatty and might cause me to bust the bank on minutes?

What if I try to manage my time? What if I make a plan to do workouts for a certain percentage of my day, reading for another, tv for another and try to live a balanced life? Is all this obsessing and disordered? Or is it budgeting and resource management?

Wow if I just lived my life all willy nilly and not caring about anything, I'd be myself in the 90's. Running out of gas all the time. Migrainey and hangry all the time. And way hay hay over my phone usage all the time. With some days of doing a lot and other days of accomplishing so close to nothing it negates the other days. Not to mention missing appointments and being late everywhere.

I think life involves a certain level of paying attention, no?

Give up
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I like how MFP censored the URL.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    lol I know right
  • corpusopus
    Options
    Well if you think about it...if you are obese or overweight ,by definition, you have an eating disorder.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    hahhaha this a disorder I LOVE, and I refuse to give up:wink:
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Well if you think about it...if you are obese or overweight ,by definition, you have an eating disorder.

Actually, by definition, disordered eating and eating disorders are very different things. Look it up in the book on Nutrition by Thompson and Manore.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Counting calories = good

Not wanting to eat that extra piece of food, even though you're hungry, because it'll put you twenty calories over and that's going to make me gain weight! = Not so good
  • originalcookiemonster
    Options
    throne-of-lies.gif
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I planned a holiday, did it and then told a load of people about it. I have a holiday disorder.

In the 1st world we have a major issue of availability of food - and not healthy food. It is hard to eat healthily, inconvenient and takes discipline, rather than not thinking about what goes in our mouths. People choose to do this for their own reasons (which vary) and nobody else should judge them for taking responsibility for this.

Taking control is now disorder - WTF?
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I think there is a line that exists between whether or not it is an eating disorder issue. Eating disorders are incredibly serious and I hope 'calorie counting', and becoming aware of what food is and what nutrients and food you're putting into your body on a basic daily or weekly basis isn't becoming apart of this 'serious' medical condition because of simply having an awareness about your own health.

I mean, maybe it could have been seen as being an issue back in the 'day', but in today's day and age with the obesity epidemic that has occurred worldwide, I believe people SHOULD be thinking twice or maybe for two minutes instead of one about what their actually putting into their mouths and the consequences (both good and bad) of eating particular foods if we're going to somehow control this unhealthy food and weight-gaining worldwide disaster!

The fine line that I believe that exists is if you're planning your days/weeks worth of food obsessively, constantly thinking about food and exercise multiple times per day, eliminating particular food groups or foods and just if your relationship with food goes sour in a way that you're stressed about food, if having what some people call a treat/cheat meal and emotionally unable to cope, etc. I have seen this and it's not pretty.

I am a calorie counter, I plan my meals daily, I have however reached a healthy weight and a goal weight and no longer restrict myself from the occasional cheat meal or even cheat days. I feel my reationship with food is healthy on the basis I try to do an 80%/20% ratio of good/bad and I enjoy a celebratory occasion here and there. I do exercise a lot, but it's not the end of the 'world' if I can't burn all naughty calories off or even don't gym at all. There's always tomorrow.

I live life daily and feel like food is apart of my life and as well as being used for 'fuel' that should also be enjoyed. Love and live life.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That is about the stupidest thing I have ever read. Some people count calories to make sure they are eating at least at their BMR. If I don't do this, I can easily slip down to the point where I am eating 1600 calories a day. Which for sure is enough calories to be healthy I suppose. But, I really don't want to eat less than my BMR and then find that I have slowed my metabolism or whatever else can happen if you cut your calories too much. I got up to 1800 and called it good.
  • lyss1200
    lyss1200 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well I'm no psychologist but from personal experience, counting calories actually HELPS me to stay stable and sane and feel better about myself in general. Self control equals self respect.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have many diseases. Counting calories is just one of them...

awesomefrog_zps125507b6.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mj8dmhrgQ21qz4rgp_zps216fb648.gif

If it's disordered to count calories (yes I'm in maintenance) then I'm disordered. *Shrug.*
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Don't think it's an eating disorder. However, I don't think it's the most healthy way to live mentally. I wish I was able to always stay a healthy weight without having to track calories or feeling guilt or plan way ahead and what I could do to make up for unhealthy decisions. A lot of people can stay a very healthy weight without ever really thinking about it and that probably shows a very healthy attitude to food.

Don't mean it as a criticism because I don't think there's anything wrong with counting calories if that's what works for you but I wish I could live a healthy lifestyle without counting calories. Unfortunately my attitude to food isn't healthy enough but hopefully one day it will be!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    No.

I plan what my family and I are going to eat...so I know what groceries to buy at the shop.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    guess the majority of us have eating disorders then. :noway: