Cheese Slices With or Without Wrapper

Options
_Waffle_
_Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
I typically add this cheese to my sandwiches and I had a question about the calories. Here's the packaging with the nutrition label.

DSC_0531.jpg

The cheese never comes out of the wrapper perfectly and usually part of the cheese is still stuck on the wrapper. I weighed a few pieces and sure enough they tend to be 17g or 18g. How would determine how many calories are in that slice? Would dividing the calories by the weight be a good idea?

Oh, if you put your bread on the scale and zero it out you can weigh the cheese easier. Putting the cheese directly on the scale makes it difficult to get off the scale at times. Plus then you need to clean the cheese of the top of your scale. #lifehacks

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weigh cheese with wrapper, unwrap and do what you will with it, then weigh the wrapper and subtract from the first weight.

Though, the wrapper is probably >1g
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This sounds...complicating...and it is precisely the reason I refuse to weigh my food! lol I say, log 25 calories and call it a day!!! :)
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    This sounds...complicating...and it is precisely the reason I refuse to weigh my food! lol I say, log 25 calories and call it a day!!! :)

This sounds like a solid pla and she's pretty cute. I'd listen to this lady
  • ErikThaRed
    ErikThaRed Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'd just go with whatever it weighs in the wrapper, seems easier to me. How much cheese do you actually lose to the wrapper and how many calories would that be in difference? Probably negotioable.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You're overly complicating it. if it's 25 calories for 19g, that's only roughly 1.3 calories per gram. So if it's off by 2g, you're talking a difference of less than 3 calories. I'd just log it as the 25 calories it says on the package.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Its simple, and she described it very well how to do it.

Maybe now not weighing you food isn't a big deal.
    But you dont know how much calories you eat in a long way. Maybe you think with measuring and eating serving sizes you do, but believe me the difference between weighing and measuring can make hundreds of calories difference.

When you have a lot to lose your deficit is probably bigger than when you are close to your goal weight. So you dont notice the under-estimating of your calorie intake that much.
    But closer to you goal the calorie intake ( deficit) gets smaller and smaller and being accuracy more important or you hit the plateau/stall. Which does mean just that you just hit maintenance level ( so eating same amount of calories as you burn). Or even gain weight because you eat more calories than you burn.

For most people weighing is the only way to know how much calories you really eat...and this is even totally 100% but just as close as you can be.

Watch this short video about weighing your food and measuring.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    panda-cheese-o.gif
    Also, buy some REAL cheese. I'll never go back to that lame "cheese product" stuff. Sargento makes 40 cal slices if you need portion control. So yummy. :D
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

This sounds like a solid pla and she's pretty cute. I'd listen to this lady

Day officially made!!! You're awesome! :)
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Toss out the "cheese" and just put the wrapper on your sandwich. It would probably taste better.

^^ Agreed!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Toss out the "cheese" and just put the wrapper on your sandwich. It would probably taste better.

^^ Agreed!

Also agreed.

Buy proper cheese!
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i use sargento cheese... they have some awesome cheese and they are pretty calorie friendly...
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    panda-cheese-o.gif
    Also, buy some REAL cheese. I'll never go back to that lame "cheese product" stuff. Sargento makes 40 cal slices if you need portion control. So yummy. :D

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're over thinking this.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

^This. I mean, I ain't skurred of no chemikillz, but sorry OP, that ain't cheese. Sargento "Thin" slices or Kraft "Slim Cuts" for you--real cheese, portion controlled.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

this.... cause that stuff is not cheese......
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    ErikThaRed wrote: »
    I'd just go with whatever it weighs in the wrapper, seems easier to me. How much cheese do you actually lose to the wrapper and how many calories would that be in difference? Probably negotioable.

Perhaps I should just get better cheese. Some days it seems like a big chunk of it gets stuck on the wrapper.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    You're overly complicating it. if it's 25 calories for 19g, that's only roughly 1.3 calories per gram. So if it's off by 2g, you're talking a difference of less than 3 calories. I'd just log it as the 25 calories it says on the package.

Thank you. That helps a lot. 1.3 calories per gram is simple to calculate.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    omg omg omg, i love american cheese slices on toast, roasted under the broiler until they char. lol.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're over thinking this.

QFT

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I would weigh the cheese product in the wrapper and not worry about a tiny chunk or cheese residue missing from my sandwich. I wouldn't leave a very large chunk on the wrapper to be thrown away and I'm assuming you would not either.
    I would also buy different cheese. I like to buy a block of cheese and slice it myself.
    I generally put something between the food and my scale so I'm not cleaning it all the time.