Why do people insist that they need tons of fat for keto!

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I think I finally get it! She meant that even if protein and fat were the same in grams it's still keto because the "high fat" means "the majority of the calories are from fat" not that grams of fat have to be outrageously high (although 100 g of fat is still considered really high to me and twice what I would usually eat).

I think she may have had an argument somewhere with someone who insisted the quantity of fat in grams has to be much higher than protein (or something). Context would have helped OP ;)

what-if-we-all-have-magic-powers.jpg
  • horrorfan
    horrorfan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Totally off topic, but LCHF is so hard when you're also a vegan xD

I rely on Earth Balance vegan butter to get my fat content up there.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 , so far I haven't found any. I'm from Canada originally so I grew up eating curds. Any cheese shop I've been in here (all over the UK) has told me that they just don't sell them.

That is truly a bummer!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yes, 100 g is high to me.

Also 100 g fat=900 calories, 100 g protein=400 calories. If my maintenance is 2000 calories, that leaves 700, or 175 g carbs, so not low carb (as I define it, anyway) and certainly not keto.

Now, I like to eat about 125 g protein, or 500 calories, and let's assume 5% carbs or 25 grams, that leaves about 1400 calories to fat or 155 grams.

Which is fine, not criticizing, but I'd call that high fat.

Yeah but that means cheese curds all day, right?
    poutine2.jpg

I just want cheese curds. All day long. Sadly, you can't buy them here in England. Sigh...

You obviously live in the wrong country lol.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is MIND BLOWING that people think that LCHF means high fat in grams! A little math is all that is needed. 9 calories for 1 gram of fat, and 4 calories for 1 gram of protein, so even if someone ate 100 grams of protein and 100 grams of fat, fat is still higher! 400 calories of protein, and a whopping 1000 from fat alone! It really bothers me that so much misinformation is out there, and people have people shoving lard down their throats thinking that fat should be high :( I've shed over 60 pounds in just over 2 months!

Your mind is blown because people think that a Low Carb High Fat diet is high in fat?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    This is MIND BLOWING that people think that LCHF means high fat in grams! A little math is all that is needed. 9 calories for 1 gram of fat, and 4 calories for 1 gram of protein, so even if someone ate 100 grams of protein and 100 grams of fat, fat is still higher! 400 calories of protein, and a whopping 1000 from fat alone! It really bothers me that so much misinformation is out there, and people have people shoving lard down their throats thinking that fat should be high :( I am so grateful for keto for weight loss and ketogenic women on facebook! Optimal ketogenic living has helped me shed over 60 pounds in just over 2 months!

Your mind is blown because people think that a Low Carb High Fat diet is high in fat?

it's low carb, high fajita.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    horrorfan wrote: »

I can't even with how many rules this would be to follow.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Couldn't you also use, say, any plant oil? I'm vegan too and Earth Balance is a great substitute for butter. But I can't imagine using a lot of it each day.

And, like mamapeach910, I am trying to wrap my mind around how difficult this would be.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

Couldn't you also use, say, any plant oil? I'm vegan too and Earth Balance is a great substitute for butter. But I can't imagine using a lot of it each day.

And, like mamapeach910, I am trying to wrap my mind around how difficult this would be.
    Most of your fat calories should come from saturated fat.

bug-fatchart.gif

Earth Balance only has 3 grams of saturated fat per serving (out of 11 grams fat total), only slightly more than the 1.9 grams found in a serving of olive oil. Palm oil (7 grams of saturated fat per serving) and coconut oil (12 grams of saturated fat per serving) are both much better choices if one is looking to increase the amount of saturated fat in the diet while avoiding animal products.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The most common historical source of fats for humans would be animal fat. Animal fat is typically more unsaturated (60%-ish) than saturated (40%-ish).

If anything should be a model for human consumption, it should be that.

Coconut oil advocacy is just more quackery.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The most common historical source of fats for humans would be animal fat. Animal fat is typically more unsaturated (60%-ish) than saturated (40%-ish).

I am not sure if you are directing this towards me. I am not advocating for coconut oil consumption (although I do eat it myself sometimes). This is in response to someone saying that they used Earth Balance to meet their fat goals on a vegan LCHF diet -- if the goal is to increase saturated fat consumption, Earth Balance is a poor choice in relation to palm oil or coconut oil. It doesn't make sense to me, so I was hoping someone could explain the reasoning behind the choice of the Earth Balance.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

bug-fatchart.gif

Okay, so coconut oil is vegan, yes?

Is this whole idea that most of the calories for this WOE be from saturated fat behind the coconut oil craze or at least part of what's behind the coconut oil craze?

I'm getting old, it's getting hard to keep up with all this nonsense.

• lemurcat12
    edited April 2015
    Options

bug-fatchart.gif

Okay, so coconut oil is vegan, yes?

Is this whole idea that most of the calories for this WOE be from saturated fat behind the coconut oil craze or at least part of what's behind the coconut oil craze?

I'm getting old, it's getting hard to keep up with all this nonsense.

I don't understand why LCHF requires lots of saturated fat (vs fat in general). Am curious about that.

I know that paleo (or some denominations within the church of paleo) is big into coconut oil because they are worried about the balance of omega-3 to omega-6 and most vegetable oils worsen it. Saturated fat is basically neutral, so they like saturated fat. Coconut oil is largely saturated fat. Or something like that. The same people tend to be more skeptical of chicken for the same reason (the high omega-6 content in its fat).
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    No one recommends most of your fat should be saturated fat. No one credible at any rate if there is someone out there saying that. Eat whole foods, fatty cuts of meats and avoid industrial seed oils; use traditional fats like lard, butter, ghee, olive and coconut oil instead. That's the ideal which means you'll be eating a nice balance of all fats.
  • BachMa2000
    BachMa2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

The brain is made up mostly of cholestrol and saturated fats. As I mentioned earlier 50% of our cell membranes are made up of saturated fat also. So I personally would shoot her for a saturated fat %.
    Our cell membranes are made up of phospholipids which contain 2 fatty acid chains. They can be saturated or unsaturated. Cholesterol is also an important component but we make cholesterol in our bodies so we don't need to worry about consuming enough cholesterol.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    No one recommends most of your fat should be saturated fat. No one credible at any rate if there is someone out there saying that. Eat whole foods, fatty cuts of meats and avoid industrial seed oils; use traditional fats like lard, butter, ghee, olive and coconut oil instead. That's the ideal which means you'll be eating a nice balance of all fats.

Biochemist Mary Enig PhD, suggest it. She's the one who discovered trans fats are bad. When she made that statment to frito's lay they said to her, "If you talked differently you'd get paid more." There is a lot of politics and non sense.

"A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648
    Mary Enig who co-founded Weston Price? Right. Like I said everyone says eat whole foods and traditional fats.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I think the OP doesn't quite understand the concept of keto....

I'm going with this answer. And this one

giphy.gif

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Biochemist Mary Enig PhD, suggest it. She's the one who discovered trans fats are bad. When she made that statment to frito's lay they said to her, "If you talked differently you'd get paid more." There is a lot of politics and non sense.

She said most of your fat should be saturated? Do you have a cite?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't understand why LCHF requires lots of saturated fat (vs fat in general). Am curious about that.

Not sure about "requires" more "doesn't have a problem with". In a low carbohydrate context the saturated fat eaten is oxidised as fuel. Sat fat levels in blood don't reflect sat fat in food.