Let's say you're not hungry...

Options
... and it's the end of the day, and you haven't eaten all the calories you're "supposed" to. Do you force something down to meet your goal, or just chalk it up to a light day and go to sleep?

Does your answer change depending on how many calories we're talking?

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the calories if I'm not hungry.

Eating when I'm not hungry is part of the reason I'm overweight.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    ... and it's the end of the day, and you haven't eaten all the calories you're "supposed" to. Do you force something down to meet your goal, or just chalk it up to a light day and go to sleep?

Does your answer change depending on how many calories we're talking?

Yes, of course the answer depends on how many calories we are talking. If you are very small then you need to sometimes force yourself to eat if this is something that has become a habit. Otherwise you're weight will drop too low eventually. If this is a one off thing and you are only a couple hundred away from goal, then I don't think you need to force yourself to eat. If you have a ton of weight too lose, I think that it doesn't matter how far you are off, you can safely call it a light day and go to sleep. I have had a few days when I am very very far away from goal, I don't think I will hit "starvation mode" any time soon.
  • Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Never! It usually happens when I over ate day before, so my body kind of balances it. I don't have any problem to go low calories the next day, or even two.
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    i only eat if i am hungry. i dont worry about being under calories
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the number, I don't force myself to eat if I'm not hungry any more than I force myself to starve if I'm truly hungry. It's all about balance in the long-term. One day over or under isn't going to break me. I would chalk it up to a light day and not let myself feel guilty about my next "heavy" day.
  • VillainIsLemony
    Options
    I've been curious about this myself. My daily calorie intake is usually less than what MFP tells me it should be. Today has been the most extreme, with only 941 consumed, but I'm just not hungry.

I think for me it is a bit of guilt/worry, that if I don't have time to exercise before work, then I should reduce my deficit even lower. Is this normal/okay?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I would force it down to reach my goal.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I force myself to eat instead of skipping a meal. But most of the time I feel like jus sleeping unstead. Of eating. Ugh. I hate it. I heard that sleeping causes weight gain. Lol.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about this myself. My daily calorie intake is usually less than what MFP tells me it should be. Today has been the most extreme, with only 941 consumed, but I'm just not hungry.

I think for me it is a bit of guilt/worry, that if I don't have time to exercise before work, then I should reduce my deficit even lower. Is this normal/okay?

No, 2 lbs is good recommend amount that hopefully won't cause you to lose muscle mass, which you'll regret later.

And your hormones get messed up if you don't eat enough, and indeed you won't feel hungry, it's a bad direction to go.

It's listening to your body that got most people in trouble. They knew mentally what was good and bad idea, but followed the body's lead.

Know, mentally, what's needed, and do it right, not what feels right. Because restrict too much, and binging will feel right at some point.

Hit your goals, with logging exercise and without on rest days, and fuel that workout to get actual improvements from it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If I'm close I don't worry about it. If I need a lot, a couple of servings of nuts is an easy way to get a lot of calories and healthy fats in.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    i only eat if i am hungry. i dont worry about being under calories

Same here, I can't see the sense in forcing food down, unless of course the person has an eating disorder
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I don't eat unless hungry. That's how I got fat in the 1st place. I don't care if I'm -300 NET I wont eat more than my body is telling me to do so.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...It's listening to your body that got most people in trouble. They knew mentally what was good and bad idea, but followed the body's lead.

Know, mentally, what's needed, and do it right, not what feels right. Because restrict too much, and binging will feel right at some point.

Hit your goals, with logging exercise and without on rest days, and fuel that workout to get actual improvements from it.

Exactly. :drinker: Try to stick to that goal as much as possible.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm over bmr by at least 100-200 I don't worry about it. But usually I would get hungry the second I think about ice cream... So I just eat ice cream. Also on workout days were I did loads I stick to goal!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't eat if I'm not hungry and have days where I'll be 100 - 400 cals under my goal. However, I do that knowing that there will be other days where I'll eat more than my goal by 100 - 400 over. It usually balances out over the course of a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't eat if I'm not hungry.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when I'm not hungry, but allow myself to go over if I am. I have found that it evens out.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Lots of people hiding Eating Disorders behind posts like this looking for approval for not eating. With that out of the way, it happens periodically, and there's no reason to eat if your not hungry.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I NEVER eat when I am not hungry!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry so I rarely have this happen to me! That said, if it's not happening very often I wouldn't worry about it, but I wouldn't let it be an every day thing to leave lots of calories behind!