Let's say you're not hungry...

Options

Replies

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    What type of alternate universe is this?

Wish I could relate to this problem.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Bodies are not nice, consistent machines that operate the same way day after day. Eating the exact same number of calories every single day is probably as far from 'normal' behaviour for our species as I can possibly imagine. It's what your calorific intake averages out as over a week or two that counts.

Your body, quite naturally, will crave more food on some days that others - which could be related to a whole bunch of things from activity level to hormones to lack of sleep etc etc. It doesn't matter if you're under one day and it doesn't matter if you're over another - it's what you average that matters.

Of course you will probably get all sorts of bosom hoiking hysterical 'OMGZ eating disorder!!!" nonsense if you dare to suggest that one some days you didn't hit your calorie goals.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    If it happens once in a while, it's not a big deal. I wouldn't worry about it either. If it's happening EVERY DAY, there's a problem. At that point, I'd suggest reevaluating the meal plan to find a way to give calories a bump.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    In my four months of healthy eating I have lost a lot of my sense of hunger. That said, if we are talking about a few hundred then no. If we are talking about over a 500 deficit I definitely make myself eat. You need enough fuel to function properly!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If it only happens occasionally, it's fine. But, if you find that it's happening more than once or twice a week, then you should be concerned.
  • 25nholding
    Options
    Just a thought....I agree with everything people are saying about not forcing yourself to eat and for that I agree. However is it not good to eat your light meals to regulate your metabolism? Perhaps that is a myth....can someone clarify this for me
  • User819
    User819 Posts: 271
    Options
    ... and it's the end of the day, and you haven't eaten all the calories you're "supposed" to. Do you force something down to meet your goal, or just chalk it up to a light day and go to sleep?

Does your answer change depending on how many calories we're talking?

If you have weight to lose don't do it. Listen to YOUR body
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    And that's one of the problems you face with actually counting your calories. If you didn't count your calories and you weren't hungry in the evening, would you eat? Probably not. Just because you haven't "eaten all your calories" doesn't mean you have to. If you have a day where you eat 800 calories and you're full, so be it. I'm sure there are also days when you eat 1800 calories and still aren't full. There's no set amount that will be perfect everyday.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Yes, it depends on how many calories with me, too. If I'm missing 100 or something, I don't bother. If it's 500, I'll have something, usually something small but high calorie.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    do not eat kermit
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    IF I eat when Im not hungry just to make up calories I end up going over, so no I don't try to anymore my body knows what it needs ,I just need to listen carefully.

There is bored eating that's me and oh that's looks tasty ex: a piece of pie and well that's how I kept the weight on to begin with .

I'm 4ft 10 in so my calories are fairly low but it works for myself, when Im at my goal weight they will raise again ,but that's only 300 more than I intake now.

What works for me may not work for you to each its own.
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    No. I do not eat.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well..I'm a protein junkie, so I'm never hungry...and I can eat WAY LESS calories than I should and be fully satisfied... :( bad habits die hard...bump for later...I'm interested to read the responses to this post as I have the same questions myself...sometimes I go to bed feeling guilty for not eating enough calories, but I'm just not hungry, and I don't want to force myself to eat! Forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry seems like it would be too much like forcing myself into an eating disorder...but then maybe I already have one since I seem to have an addiction to protein... :(
  • emstethem
    Options
    Yes, it depends on how many calories with me, too. If I'm missing 100 or something, I don't bother. If it's 500, I'll have something, usually something small but high calorie.

I like this response. :) This seems like a good remedy to the problem. :) What snack would you suggest that is small yet high calorie?
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I work my calories out by week (helps if I have any bad days) so if I can't make my goal one day, I have another 6 to make up for it!
  • emstethem
    Options
    Just a thought....I agree with everything people are saying about not forcing yourself to eat and for that I agree. However is it not good to eat your light meals to regulate your metabolism? Perhaps that is a myth....can someone clarify this for me

Oh, gosh, I've researched and researched info on regulating metabolism (because I am hypothyroid) and I just don't know what to believe when it comes to that topic anymore...maybe my protein addiction has slowed my metabolism...maybe I need to eat "warm" foods since I have a "cold" illness (chinese medicine calls slow thyroid a "coldness" illness...) and it would seem to be true because cold weather vegs seem to aggravate my condition...broccoli, collards, turnips, brussel sprouts all slow my thyroid down if I eat too much of them...but peppers (think jalapeno poppers! :D ) are supposed to be great for my condition... I don't think that WHEN you eat has as much to do with regulating metabolism as much as WHAT you eat does... but I don't know for sure. :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

I like this response. :) This seems like a good remedy to the problem. :) What snack would you suggest that is small yet high calorie?
    I can tell you what I go for--nuts. I usually keep a couple of cans of nut mix in the house, and a serving runs 140-180 calories. Really easy to nibble through a serving (or two, if necessary) while watching TV.

If I don't feel like eating anything, a 12-ounce glass of juice or milk will run 150-200 calories depending on type--that's often enough to bring me close enough to goal.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    ... and it's the end of the day, and you haven't eaten all the calories you're "supposed" to. Do you force something down to meet your goal, or just chalk it up to a light day and go to sleep?

Does your answer change depending on how many calories we're talking?
    No. It took me a while to realize that my daily calorie goal is an average, not something I hit daily. Sometimes I'm over and sometimes I'm under.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

It's listening to your body that got most people in trouble. They knew mentally what was good and bad idea, but followed the body's lead.

Absolutely not. Of course I don't know about anyone else, but when I was indulging in too much food, I was definitely NOT listening to my not hungry body.

I say if you're not hungry, but you've still eaten a decent amount for the day, don't force yourself to eat. It will even out in the end on days when you're more hungry.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Assuming a basically healthy diet, you never should force yourself to eat if you're not hungry and feel good. The exception would be if you were sick, in which case you might eat a bowl of healthy broth or soup.