Tell me, what's your secret? *rolls eyes*

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I tell people about MFP all the time. Stops them in their tracks.
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    since I have lost weight people keep asking me, "Tell me what's your secret?"
    There is no secret. I always reply I'm eating less and moving more, it's that simple!

When will people realise that there is no magic formula to weight loss?

The other effect this is having is that I'm starting to get comfortable because of being complimented on weight loss so far. I don't want to fall off the wagon so need to stay motivated. Add me on here, (if you want), for accountabilities sake please!!

84 lbs down, working in a company with 9500 employees and I always get mobbed in the corridor. I've also learnt to take compliments humbly. It does get irritating when someone says that I'm lying when I tell them I watch what I eat and exercise regularly. "Oh come on, give it up... What's the pill / magic formula. Maybe you don't want us to know." I grapple with a lot of frustration before quietly insisting that I don't have a secret...
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Philosophical question guys:

Clearly it's the calorie counting that helps us lose weight, but it is made a whole lot easier by MFP app. Do you think that counts as a "secret magic pill"?

I tried calorie counting before I knew about MFP and could not keep it up because finding out and recording calories was so time consuming. Now its really quick and easy I'm doing well.

Anyway, I think I might go for "I joined the cult of Cthulhu and slaughter a goat every week in his name. Rubbing the blood, blessed by him, all over my skin melts the fat right off me". Although the majority of people I interact with are fad diet skeptics so they may not believe me.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    We live in a society/world geared up to giving quick fix, instantly gratifying solutions to everything. The idea of moderation, sustainability (watching calories, a bit of exercise) over a lifetime does not appeal to peoples way of thinking. Extreme measures are exciting, being moderate is seen as the boring middle ground that will not give instant results.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Also, some people do not want to take personal responsibility for themselves as that requires them thinking or maybe having to compromise (moderation in diet) or sacrifice (exercise). A quick pill to pop or a diet where you don't have to think about calories/macros etc is appealing because it appeals to a lazy, robotic society. ;)
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    "I haven't lost weight; I'm just wearing a bra today..."
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Q: What's your secret?
    A: I once shot a man in Reno just to see him die. What's yours?
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Become a rep for "Metalucca" or something like that and tell everyone your diet "secret", and rake in the commissions selling the junk.

No one wants to hear, stop eating everything you like and get off the sofa and move.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Q: What's your secret?
    A: I once shot a man in Reno just to see him die. What's yours?

*slow clap*
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    There was a thread like this recently and someone said that their response was "I eat a pinecone every day." It's as good an answer as any.

12/10. This will be my new response. Lol!!

I'm tired of people not believing me when I tell them I lift weights and don't do cardio ("but that makes you GAIN weight!"). Sadly they'd probably believe the pinecone thing more.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'd use it to share the MFP app as well as tell them eat less, count calories and exercise
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Motivation and will? Food was the least of my worries. Strong motivation and will puts everything at bay.
  • COLTMUSCLE97
    COLTMUSCLE97 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    drink water
  • ethim
    ethim Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Anyway, I think I might go for "I joined the cult of Cthulhu and slaughter a goat every week in his name. Rubbing the blood, blessed by him, all over my skin melts the fat right off me". Although the majority of people I interact with are fad diet skeptics so they may not believe me.

Yesss! That's how I'm losing my weight ;)
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So I've lost 45 lbs, in maintenance successfully for around 2 years, and my husband still looks for advice on losing weight from everyone and everywhere except me. Because you know, actually eating less, eating healthier and moving more is waaaay too hard. He is the king of excuses. I should add that I'm happy with him the way he is, I never nag him about his weight. He's the one who complains about it!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I started telling people it was the meth
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Going to family Easter get together! Why are they so uncomfortable about my weight loss? Not saying anything about my habits unless pushed to respond, and then just going to say" it's small changes over time". I know they added up to huge changes in me and that's what matters.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Them: You look great, how did you do it?
    Me: Counting calories.
    Them: *eyes glaze over before I finish my sentence.
    Every. Dang. Time.

Haha this! So this!

Or they'll ramble on about it taking to much time to count calories or weigh their food.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Every. Dang. Time.

Haha this! So this!

Or they'll ramble on about it taking to much time to count calories or weigh their food.

Or they refuse to count calories as "too much work," but will count carbs and then do equations to sift through "types" of carbs instead. Or follow ridiculous meal plans to the letter. (for a day or two before the inevitable F THIS binge)
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Every. Dang. Time.

Haha this! So this!

Or they refuse to count calories as "too much work," but will count carbs and then do equations to sift through "types" of carbs instead. Or follow ridiculous meal plans to the letter. (for a day or two before the inevitable F THIS binge)

It used to be awful working with the public when I first started to lose a lot of weight. I would constantly have people hunch down a little & almost get in my face & incredulously ask, "did you lose weight?"