controlling partners.

Options
glovepuppet
glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
I have a curiosity burn, so give me your opinions, your experiences and your thoughts. From any angle you choose.

Replies

• kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    However. despite not experiencing it myself, I have seen what controlling someone can do. I have a friend who doesn't work and her boyfriend works full time. She made him take a week off work once because she was having a bad time and because she was lonely, she never lets him go out and if he does go out to socialize she is calling him every five minutes. She checks his phone and his emails and facebook. He once told us that he was playing an online game and she was in bed, his computer dropped connection, she had disconnected the router because she wanted him to go to bed. Yes, giving a forty year old man a curfew of 10pm.

Personally, I don't believe that someone should control another person regardless of their relationship. I relish when my husband goes out because I get the place to myself and I think it would take too much time and energy to keep tabs on someone like that, it's crazy and clearly indicates trust issues. I will text my husband when he is out but only if its late so I can ensure he is all right or to gauge what time he is coming home. I can never go to sleep if he is out on the town, which is rare but that's about the extent of it. I mean that person is not there to be your sole entertainment, it's a partnership for a reason.

If my husband started going that **** I would get out of there, and I am sure he would say the same. Just my take.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I was in a controlling friendship once..when I told my friend I was getting married, she " dumped" me..saying it would split us up...I wasn't in a great place at that time but she fed off it..but it would never happen now. Anyone who allows themselves to be controlled have low self esteem...I realise that some may be so controlling they can't find a way out of it..but I'd always hope that they find the courage to leave.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not too sure why people enjoy mayonnaise Especially in Great Britain.

To me the texture is just weird. It's like puss or something. Ugh and then people (i.e. flatmates) leave it out at room temperature and it gets even grosser.

Now hot sauce . . . that's a condiment. I could add hot sauce to anything and it would taste better.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What is a glove puppet, exactly?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    the name does suggest some interesting images, no?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    What about them? I'm sure we've all had our experiences, whether it be our relationships or those of friends.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I was in a controlling friendship once..when I told my friend I was getting married, she " dumped" me..saying it would split us up...I wasn't in a great place at that time but she fed off it..but it would never happen now. Anyone who allows themselves to be controlled have low self esteem...I realise that some may be so controlling they can't find a way out of it..but I'd always hope that they find the courage to leave.

my best friend said the exact same thing to me when I got pregnant... weird. I would have been really happy for her if she had a baby and would want to be involved. She just got really angry about it though and walked away after 10 years of friendship.

People be scary.... :huh:
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    several shades of perverted.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I had a controlling boyfriend in HS/college who would get upset if I wore short skirts and always accused me of cheating. In fact, he was the one cheating. My DH tries to control me occasionally, to which he gets 'I refuse to be treated like that'. I get harder to control with age :)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    one of my exes wouldn't let me leave the house, see my friends or anything really. she would feign illness to stop me going to work (fake vomiting) and was insanely jealous of anyone I know, as well as inanimate objects like my records (do you like your records/friends/family more than me?). I said no, but I did like my records more than her. she liked me brushing her hair. it was some proper misery *kitten* right there. eventually i broke up with her, and she went into therapy 3 times a week 2 hour sessions. she started calling my work to find out when I was working so she could come in and stare wide eyed like that girl on youtube. I remember one day she wanted to meet me and tried to convince me we should get back together, but I said no and I had to go. on the way to my car she force hugged me and told me if I date anyone else she will smack her in the face. coincidentally I had a cute girl in my car. thankfully she parked somewhere else, cause she was really really unstable.

I didn't really dodge that bullet. it grazed me.

also she had a tendency to break down into tears screaming "WHY WERENT YOU HERE" if i wasnt home when she got home. even if i turned up 15 minutes later. usually this would go on for 45 minutes to an hour. after a while i just stopped having an opinion and was kind of like a mental prisoner in my own apartment. she tried to control everything, even to what I said and what I thought, so I'd just say what she wanted to hear. "yes you were sick the other day (she wasn't), I'm sorry I don't know what I was thinking".

she also had a tendency to come out with some really dark *kitten* like saying "Marilyn manson makes me want to kill myself" while listening to Marilyn Manson. she also was a "wicken" and was kind of obsessed with the occult.

man. I must have been desperate. being 18 sucks.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    one of my exes wouldn't let me leave the house, see my friends or anything really. she would feign illness to stop me going to work (fake vomiting) and was insanely jealous of anyone I know, as well as inanimate objects like my records (do you like your records/friends/family more than me?). I said no, but I did like my records more than her. she liked me brushing her hair. it was some proper misery *kitten* right there. eventually i broke up with her, and she went into therapy 3 times a week 2 hour sessions. she started calling my work to find out when I was working so she could come in and stare wide eyed like that girl on youtube. I remember one day she wanted to meet me and tried to convince me we should get back together, but I said no and I had to go. on the way to my car she force hugged me and told me if I date anyone else she will smack her in the face. coincidentally I had a cute girl in my car. thankfully she parked somewhere else, cause she was really really unstable.

also she had a tendency to break down into tears screaming "WHY WERENT YOU HERE" if i wasnt home when she got home. even if i turned up 15 minutes later. usually this would go on for 45 minutes to an hour. after a while i just stopped having an opinion and was kind of like a mental prisoner in my own apartment. she tried to control everything, even to what I said and what I thought, so I'd just say what she wanted to hear. "yes you were sick the other day (she wasn't), I'm sorry I don't know what I was thinking".

she also had a tendency to come out with some really dark *kitten* like saying "Marilyn manson makes me want to kill myself" while listening to Marilyn Manson. she also was a "wicken" and was kind of obsessed with the occult.

I picture you as this guy diving out the window:

le-phobique-de-lengagement_zps102a3a50.gif
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

It sounds depressing as *kitten*, I hope the sex was good! (gif below is at last persons response, not the crazy girlfriend story)
    tumblr_m836zvIuZT1r8rtom_zpsa3ce5e7a.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ^stolen :flowerforyou:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

It sounds depressing as *kitten*, I hope the sex was good! (gif below is at last persons response, not the crazy girlfriend story)
    tumblr_m836zvIuZT1r8rtom_zpsa3ce5e7a.gif

lol epic gif. no the sex was not good. she gained a lot of weight while we were together (8 months). there really was no redeeming feature, other than her family was really nice and I enjoyed spending time with them.
  • WhyFlowersExist
    WhyFlowersExist Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I believe all relationship disputes should be solved with the simple act of street fighter moves.

"Oh you want to watch teen mom tonight?"

HADOUKEN!

"Yeah, i thought i heard wrong."
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    wow... crazy, crazy girlfriend, nikilis! :noway:
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    i used to have a...well IDK what he was. We only technically dated for a week, but we were off and on with liking each other and flirting and stuff for a good year in HS. Anyway, he wasn't controlling in the sense that he would say who I could or couldn't hang out with, etc, but he would do a lot of backhanded compliments (one that comes to mind is "Wow, that shirt looks good on you. It brings more attention to your boobs and less to your fat") and tell me that everyone liked my friend better because she was a lot prettier than I was, or tell me that I only date him because no one else wanted me anyway, which used to make me feel bad that he thought that's the only reason I dated him, while driving my self esteem further into the ground.

He basically used to say things to me to build me up, and then say lots of things to being me back down to make sure I wouldn't go for anyone else. He made sure to make me feel like he was the only person that wanted to date me. I really don't know why I was so hung up on him for so long, either. ****in' 16 year olds, man. I wish I had listened to my mom when she would tell me how ****ty he was for me! lol.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I believe all relationship disputes should be solved with the simple act of street fighter moves.

"Oh you want to watch teen mom tonight?"

HADOUKEN!

"Yeah, i thought i heard wrong."

I like you.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Just shut up and do as I say.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    polls_632229_decisions_no_thanks_2410_469251_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg