coconut oil before workout

Options
Can I take coconut oil on empty stomach in the morning before workout? Usually I workout on empty stomach, now I thought of taking one tablespoon of coconut oil raw before workout. Is it ok? Any bad effects?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Why? I don't understand the reasoning?
  • stacyenriquez33
    stacyenriquez33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It would only sit in your stomach and do absolutely no benefit for your workout. If anything it might reduce your performance. If you want the benefits of coconut oil then take it after your workout, but not immediately after.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Any oil on an empty stomach just before getting your blood pumping for an hour would likely produce a lovely dash to the bathroom.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You can but what do you think it will do for you? Coconut oil has no magic properties.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It would only sit in your stomach and do absolutely no benefit for your workout. If anything it might reduce your performance. If you want the benefits of coconut oil then take it after your workout, but not immediately after.

Why will it reduce performance, and why would it be beneficial after a workout?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Nothing will happen.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    It might make you have to poop, because it's oil on an empty stomach. What magical benefits is it meant to have?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Why?
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It would add a short "sprint" to my exercise regiment..
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Why?

It would make my stomach hurt I think.

• LolBroScience
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Why?

It would make my stomach hurt I think.

A single tablespoon? I must have a strong stomach...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I think so. I don't know though. Never done it. The thought of drinking a tablespoon of any oil kinda grosses me out. I will admit though, I was thinking more like 3 tablespoons.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I take in in my black coffee in the morning. I don't see any real change in my workout...
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It may increase your speed in dashing to the toilet
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I think so. I don't know though. Never done it. The thought of drinking a tablespoon of any oil kinda grosses me out. I will admit though, I was thinking more like 3 tablespoons.

Well... you have a point there. I'd rather opt for PB if I was to take a tablespoon of anything.
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    I take in in my black coffee in the morning. I don't see any real change in my workout...

Gonna add, one thing that did change is, my stomach doesn't growl louder than my music on the way home anymore.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Any oil on an empty stomach just before getting your blood pumping for an hour would likely produce a lovely dash to the bathroom.

Or like in my case, where high fat before working out leads to wanting to hurl and keel over mid-workout.

ETA: high fat is generally NOT recommended prior to workouts, at least for lifting sessions, as it takes longer to digest. This is why I stick to low-fat lunches (work out a few hours after lunch, although I'll eat low-fat meal prior to my workout if myworkout gets moved around like it probably will today). I don't believe I've had success with it prior to cardio, either.
  • never2bstopped
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Or like in my case, where high fat before working out leads to wanting to hurl and keel over mid-workout.

ETA: high fat is generally NOT recommended prior to workouts, at least for lifting sessions, as it takes longer to digest. This is why I stick to low-fat lunches (work out a few hours after lunch, although I'll eat low-fat meal prior to my workout if myworkout gets moved around like it probably will today). I don't believe I've had success with it prior to cardio, either.

Coconut oil is a short chain fatty acid so easer and more readily broken down for energy than many other fatty acids.

I have no issues lifting on coconut oil, and lifting is what I do 90% of the time.
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Lmbo! :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Coconut oil is a short chain fatty acid so easer and more readily broken down for energy than many other fatty acids.

I have no issues lifting on coconut oil, and lifting is what I do 90% of the time.

I've done it. I didn't have an issue. Some race horses are fed coconut oil before races, if memory serves.