Bread (grain)? bad/good for you? replacing it? question.

Options

Replies

• MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Grain breads are good for diet and health. It is very healthy breakfast and keep you full for long time.
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't have bread. I have soft brown thins instead.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Grain breads are good for diet and health. It is very healthy breakfast and keep you full for long time.

What foods happen to be satisfying/satiating varies by individual. Bread for breakfast would keep me full about 10 mins, though.
  • sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Stick to whole grains, avoid refined flour, and eat in moderation.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    sclause wrote: »

Why?

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/whole-grains/
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    sclause wrote: »

Why?

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/whole-grains/
    Yes because we know context doesn't matter. The overall diet doesn't matter, it's all about the right carbs right? Lol. Lol.

Try to get some sleep when you are done with your night-shift...
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I personally believe everything is wrong with bread! For instance there's now over 20,000 strands of wheat whereas back in the old times there was only a few. Which is why people are reacting to it poorly, not because they're necessarily "intolerant". There's so many better choices than bread like lentils, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato, etc! You probably "crave it" because either the bread has some form of sugar in it or some other addictive ingredients (look at the ingredients on the back, you'll be amazed what's in it!). You can substitute this "craving" with complex carbs and fiber. If you're eating 4-5 small meals a day your cravings shouldn't be as bad compared to if you aren't eating routinely throughout the day. Say you have only ate 1 meal and it's the middle of the day or night time and your body is low in calories and really hungry. Low calories=mind and body's way of saying give me the highest calorie food with carbs possible! What is that? BREAD! Or other sweets... It does come down to calories consumed vs calories burned for weight loss. Two slices of bread is a lot of carbs compared to other foods and tend to be over consumed more easily than other foods is probably why you see weight gain with it. Excess carbs is the easiest way to gain weight. Whereas if you eat a cup of lentils it's only 40grams carbs but with 19grams of protein.

With thyroid eating foods high in iodine, zinc, selenium, copper, etc will help. Chia seeds, chorella, vegetables, etc are all examples of good foods to consume for that.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    GuddaB wrote: »
    Idk for me , my medication hasn't worked for me, and ive noticed that the less bread ive eaten the less i likely to add easy kgs , and personally my thyroid medication has done nothing for me and only gotten worse, so you´re very lucky @bellaa_x0 , but congrats for loosing weight! :)

But yea i know bread isn't that unhealthy as i tried to say , i mean there are always healthier choices but just wondering if people have seen differences in removing them. Idk I´m confusing myself a lot haha So i apologize but I appreciate The information from you all! :D

I too have thyroid problems and always felt run down and achey. Medication alone didn't do much but normalize my levels, I still felt awful. My endo recommended lowering my carb intake from breads, pasta, sweets, etc due to the fact my fasting BG was about 100, giving an indication I may be insulin resistant. So starting 3/18 i limited my intake of carbs from the foods she listed. I tried getting some low carb wraps to still have some bread type item for lunch and after eating one I felt my neck swell up and the side of my face up to and including my ear become numb. I took a benadryl and the swelling subsided. I never noticed an issue with those foods before but since I have not been eating them I have tons more energy and almost 0 pain in my joints and back.

I'm obviously not saying you have the same thing going on, but I didn't notice an issue with it until after I stopped eating it. I'm also much less bloated and down 10 lbs since that drs visit in march.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    gparfitt09 wrote: »
    I personally believe everything is wrong with bread! For instance there's now over 20,000 strands of wheat whereas back in the old times there was only a few. Which is why people are reacting to it poorly, not because they're necessarily "intolerant". There's so many better choices than bread like lentils, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potato, etc! You probably "crave it" because either the bread has some form of sugar in it or some other addictive ingredients (look at the ingredients on the back, you'll be amazed what's in it!). You can substitute this "craving" with complex carbs and fiber. If you're eating 4-5 small meals a day your cravings shouldn't be as bad compared to if you aren't eating routinely throughout the day. Say you have only ate 1 meal and it's the middle of the day or night time and your body is low in calories and really hungry. Low calories=mind and body's way of saying give me the highest calorie food with carbs possible! What is that? BREAD! Or other sweets... It does come down to calories consumed vs calories burned for weight loss. Two slices of bread is a lot of carbs compared to other foods and tend to be over consumed more easily than other foods is probably why you see weight gain with it. Excess carbs is the easiest way to gain weight. Whereas if you eat a cup of lentils it's only 40grams carbs but with 19grams of protein.

With thyroid eating foods high in iodine, zinc, selenium, copper, etc will help. Chia seeds, chorella, vegetables, etc are all examples of good foods to consume for that.

We seriously need a bingo card for posts like this one.
  • Garebearrr
    Options

Well that was a whole lot of LOL

I challenge a refute with evidence but I don't see none.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

A fledgling eating disorder is a brewing.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

It's your job to provide the evidence-- you're the one making the claims here.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Why would 20,000 strains of wheat increase "intolerance"? Are we growing more" intolerant "to apples due to the multiple varieties as well? What connection do you see between the number of varieties and potential issues?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Why would 20,000 strains of wheat increase "intolerance"? Are we growing more" intolerant "to apples due to the multiple varieties as well? What connection do you see between the number of varieties and potential issues?
    Wheat belly, just a guess though.

• Garebearrr
    edited April 2015
    Options

Since other people aren't adding anything beneficial to this discussion besides you, I'll answer this. That's a good question. I break it down simply, every carbohydrate gets broken down into glucose. So that means glucose is most easily absorbed in the body. Whereas high fructose corn syrup (bigger longer strand) takes the body a lot more energy to breakdown for virtually the same effect of glucose. Bread is mainly carbohydrates hence getting broken down into glucose eventually. The same applies for the 20,000 different strands of wheat. What's easier to break down, 4 or 20,000 strands? It puts added stress onto the body which is why you might see some people "react to it" because the body is struggling to break down all of the different strands just like the example I used with high fructose corn syrup. Hope that makes sense.