Bread (grain)? bad/good for you? replacing it? question.

Options

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love bread. It's cheap, tastes great, good with most meals, really just an awesome food.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    gparfitt09 wrote: »

I challenge a refute with evidence but I don't see none.

Why would 20,000 strains of wheat increase "intolerance"? Are we growing more" intolerant "to apples due to the multiple varieties as well? What connection do you see between the number of varieties and potential issues?

Since other people aren't adding anything beneficial to this discussion besides you, I'll answer this. That's a good question. I break it down simply, every carbohydrate gets broken down into glucose. So that means glucose is most easily absorbed in the body. Whereas high fructose corn syrup (bigger longer strand) takes the body a lot more energy to breakdown for virtually the same effect of glucose. Bread is mainly carbohydrates hence getting broken down into glucose eventually. The same applies for the 20,000 different strands of wheat. What's easier to break down, 4 or 20,000 strands? It puts added stress onto the body which is why you might see some people "react to it" because the body is struggling to break down all of the different strands just like the example I used with high fructose corn syrup. Hope that makes sense.

OR we burn even more calories because the body has to work harder to digest it. ;)

But seriously, can you cite some studies for this claim?
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Why would 20,000 strains of wheat increase "intolerance"? Are we growing more" intolerant "to apples due to the multiple varieties as well? What connection do you see between the number of varieties and potential issues?

Since other people aren't adding anything beneficial to this discussion besides you, I'll answer this. That's a good question. I break it down simply, every carbohydrate gets broken down into glucose. So that means glucose is most easily absorbed in the body. Whereas high fructose corn syrup (bigger longer strand) takes the body a lot more energy to breakdown for virtually the same effect of glucose. Bread is mainly carbohydrates hence getting broken down into glucose eventually. The same applies for the 20,000 different strands of wheat. What's easier to break down, 4 or 20,000 strands? It puts added stress onto the body which is why you might see some people "react to it" because the body is struggling to break down all of the different strands just like the example I used with high fructose corn syrup. Hope that makes sense.

Can you please provide the supporting documentation to what you are saying?
    What does our body use as it's primary energy source?
    Where does fructose get brokeno down and what happens to it after it does?
    What do quinoa, sweet potatoes and lentils get broken down to?

Yes everyone I will cite evidence. For the claim of 20,000 strands of wheat I need to dig through my articles and find it, I'll post it when I do. The other information I obtained through either the documentary on Netflix forks over knifes or through chemistry, biology, and nutrition classes in college.

Here's a good read for an article right now about wheat: http://authoritynutrition.com/modern-wheat-health-nightmare/

To answer more of your questions this is really simple nutrition. It's okay to ask questions but you should do some research on your own too. The primary source of energy our body uses is carbohydrates, every cycle in our body is ran from or started with glucose (carbs). Then fat if we don't have glucose. Then lastly it will take from proteins if glucose and fats aren't available.

Fructose is metabolized differently, it's much quicker and tends to get metabolized in the liver, flooding metabolic pathways and leads to increase in triglycerides (fat) synthesis and fat storage in the liver.

Quinoa, lentils, sweet potato get broken down into glucose too. However, simple sugars get rushed into the body which spike your blood sugar levels and makes the insulin less resilient after every spike. Like high fructose corn syrup. That's how diabetes gets developed, insulin becomes less and less resilient from blood sugar spikes.

***Im not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong, this is purely my own obtained information through my years of trying to learn about nutrition***
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options

One loaf of bread would be made from one variety of wheat, not all alleged 20,000 possible varieties of wheat.
    Most bread is high GI which means it turns to glucose quite easily.
  • Garebearrr
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »

One loaf of bread would be made from one variety of wheat, not all alleged 20,000 possible varieties of wheat.
    Most bread is high GI which means it turns to glucose quite easily.

Strands get developed over a long period of time. It may be one wheat source on the package labeling but not the strands biologically speaking. Yes it does get turned into glucose quickly, although there's so many variables of what brand of bread- what ingredients are, how it's processed, etc that could have other things in it besides wheat.
  • Emilia777
    Options

Yes everyone I will cite evidence. For the claim of 20,000 strands of wheat I need to dig through my articles and find it, I'll post it when I do. The other information I obtained through either the documentary on Netflix forks over knifes or through chemistry, biology, and nutrition classes in college.

Here's a good read for an article right now about wheat: http://authoritynutrition.com/modern-wheat-health-nightmare/

To answer more of your questions this is really simple nutrition. It's okay to ask questions but you should do some research on your own too. The primary source of energy our body uses is carbohydrates, every cycle in our body is ran from or started with glucose (carbs). Then fat if we don't have glucose. Then lastly it will take from proteins if glucose and fats aren't available.

Fructose is metabolized differently, it's much quicker and tends to get metabolized in the liver, flooding metabolic pathways and leads to increase in triglycerides (fat) synthesis and fat storage in the liver.

Quinoa, lentils, sweet potato get broken down into glucose too. However, simple sugars get rushed into the body which spike your blood sugar levels and makes the insulin less resilient after every spike. Like high fructose corn syrup. That's how diabetes gets developed, insulin becomes less and less resilient from blood sugar spikes.

***Im not saying I'm right and everyone else is wrong, this is purely my own obtained information through my years of trying to learn about nutrition***

All I will say is that it looks like your sources are biased. This is why I asked for sources, not because I’m incapable of using Google Scholar - which, by the way, is what I’d recommend for your research.

Wheat is fine. Not a thing wrong with it as part of a good balanced diet. IIFYM etc.
  • Garebearrr
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

All I will say is that it looks like your sources are biased. This is why I asked for sources, not because I’m incapable of using Google Scholar - which, by the way, is what I’d recommend for your research.

Wheat is fine. Not a thing wrong with it as part of a good balanced diet. IIFYM etc.

This is a whole other topic. Peer reviewed evidence isn't going to be supplied by this because all the bread companies would be out of business then. Every main study is ran and regulated through the corporations that have the most money. They regulate what's published. Most people that are getting upset or confused by my statements just don't want to hear it because who would want to believe that's what's happening to our foods that we consume everyday. For the people that do read this and don't reply, look into it. Challenge yourself to learn. You'll be amazed.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

No, not really. What is a strand?
  • Emilia777
    edited April 2015
    Options

This is a whole other topic. Peer reviewed evidence isn't going to be supplied by this because all the bread companies would be out of business then. Every main study is ran and regulated through the corporations that have the most money. They regulate what's published. Most people that are getting upset or confused by my statements just don't want to hear it because who would want to believe that's what's happening to our foods that we consume everyday. For the people that do read this and don't reply, look into it. Challenge yourself to learn. You'll be amazed.

As an econometrician, I’ll have to disagree with your view of how studies are or aren't conducted - and believe me, I’m skeptical about most of them. But there’s nothing I can say that will change your mind, so I won’t try. I wish you luck in your journey of self-education and just hope you’ll keep as open of a mind as you advocate to others.

P.S. I’ve challenged myself to learn plenty. Just because people don’t agree with you does not mean they’re not educated on the topic.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

So now we arrived at the tinfoil stage of these kinds of discussions.
  • Emilia777
    Options

At least we recognize a lost cause when we see one?
  • Garebearrr
    Options

As an econometrician, I’ll have to disagree with your view of how studies are or aren't conducted - and believe me, I’m skeptical about most of them. But there’s nothing I can say that will change your mind, so I won’t try. I wish you luck in your journey of self-education and just hope you’ll keep as open of a mind as you advocate to others.

P.S. I’ve challenged myself to learn plenty. Just because people don’t agree with you does not mean they’re not educated on the topic.

I never said you weren't educated. I respect peoples words and thoughts, I encourage them. You were asking questions so I was trying to answer to the best of my abilities. If someone is eating wheat bread and feels fantastic, then keep doing it. but the majority of people that's not the case, which is why we're all here to some extent trying to better our lives. Best of luck to you as well.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat bread much. I always have oatmeal in the morning and for dinner I'll have my starch with brown rice or sweet potato etc. so that leaves lunch and I'm not really a sandwich person. I'd rather have a salad with chicken, shrimp or tuna on it or some homemade soup.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

It is a wonder that the grain debate has even gotten this far in this country. The industry has vast resources to push their agenda. It likely reaches into the gluten free market as more and more people are developing intolerances to gf products as well.

I don't think anyone will ever know the whole truth as to what goes on, in this age of information overload, what of it can you trust.

I've come to the conclusion that each individual needs to find what works best for them. Which can be difficult in a forum such as this when so many only want to tell you you're wrong.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Dammit, that's what I was going to say!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    The possibilities for a new book "Wheat Brain" is looking promising.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I didn't understand anything in this post. What is a "strand" of wheat? Not sure how HFCS got into the discussion - it is 100% carbohydrate. Who food has 4 "strands" of wheat?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I didn't understand anything in this post. What is a "strand" of wheat? Not sure how HFCS got into the discussion - it is 100% carbohydrate. Who food has 4 "strands" of wheat?

I think he is referring to different varieties. But who knows, cos that post make zero sense even if he does mean varieties.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I think he is referring to different varieties. But who knows, cos that post make zero sense even if he does mean varieties.

That occurred to me, but I've never heard of a slice of bread containing 20,000 varieties of wheat (or any other grain).